Acquaintances & The Not-So-Friendly

Barry was actually a pretty cool guy. I was still puzzling over the fact that when he touched me I didn't drain him. But how? All those doctors a while ago held my arm and died subsequently. What was different about him?

"Shea!" I looked up from the book I was reading to see my hair cover my line of vision. Once they retreated to behind my ears, I saw Barry standing in front of me, smiling. He looked so excited. For what reason, I had no idea.

"Yes?" I raised an eyebrow, grinning slightly. His happiness was starting to rub off on me, for the two days I had spent at STAR Labs. I admired his attitude; he always seemed to find something to smile at, no matter how grim the situation was. Me on the other hand? My facial expressions consisted of glaring and more glaring.

"Come with me!" He ran off, leaving me staring wide eyed after him. It took him a few seconds to realise that I couldn't possibly run as fast as he and he appeared in front of me again.

"Sorry, I didn't realise you weren't following." I threw my head back, a laugh escaping me. Oh, this guy. I sobered up, suppressing any more laughing. I sighed contently, looking at Barry. He was looking back at me, his eyes sort of...twinkling? His mouth was set in a half smile, slight crinkles settling around his eyes.

"What?" I asked, shrinking under his gaze. "Do I have something on my face?"

"Yeah you do," he answered, causing my hands to snap up to my face and feel around for something.

"Where?"

"Right here." He gestured to my mouth.

I frowned; I couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary.

"Wha..." I looked at him, pleading silently to help me.

His expression brightened slightly as he said to me, "You have a smile."

I broke eye contact, staring at my scuffed shoes. My cheeks grew considerably warmer. Wait. Was I blushing? Did Shea Bramson finally show some expression other than hatred?

"Yeah I think I do," I finally said, looking back up at Barry's grinning face. I couldn't help but smile back. Man, he was contagious.

"You should do it more," he replied, sounding like a child that had just gotten some Fruity Mint Swirl ice cream. A very gleeful kid indeed.

"Anyway! I didn't come here to compliment your face. I mean! Yes I did, but that wasn't the point. Wait no, yes, your face deserves to be complimented, and your smile too, but I didn't come here to do that. Oh my god, no I'm sorry, I mean that-ugh never mind!"

I looked at him with an amused look, watching him attempt to stop rambling.

"It's okay, you were here to show me something," I reminded.

"Oh that's right! Man, I feel like Felicity right now," Barry muttered the last part. For some reason, my smile retreated as soon as he mentioned this 'Felicity'. It's not like I was the only girl that Barry knew. It's not like I was the coolest person that Barry knew. Barry had found someone cooler than me. I mean, everyone was better than me. No surprises there. I clenched my jaw and went back to the blank expression I was familiar with.

"Just bring me there."

He frowned, before sighing softly. "Follow me."

Barry led me to a room in the laboratory I had never seen before. It was concealed by the room holding Barry's treadmill, but still well equipped. In the middle of the room stood a few rag doll mannequins. They all looked the same; all were the shade of plain vanilla, with blank faces. Ah, just like myself.