our unspoken voices

i was so excited to update today lmao

***

WILL

Today is Unspoken Voices.

The last Friday of April, like it's always been. I glance at my phone as the reminder pops up in all caps. James has been working his ass off for this, and I really want to see him speak, I need to see him speak.

I let out a breath. We're fighting, though. Not talking, crossing to opposite sides of the hallway when we pass by each other, eyes darting away whenever we accidentally make eye contact.

Gavin glances up at me from the packet that we're supposed to be working on for Economics.

"Hello?" He waves a hand in front of my face, the other hand twirling a pencil he managed to nag from someone who sits near him.

I shake my head, quickly. "Sorry."

He gives me a look before returning his gaze back to his sheet. "Okay, 'What is the name given to an agreement to buy a certain stock at a set later date?'"

I hold a pencil to my chin, eyes roving over the sheet. "I don't know. Um, maybe it's c."

"Alright, I'm trusting you for this one," he replies, circling the letter. He looks up at me, "so, Unspoken Voices is today."

"Yeah," I say, not removing my gaze from the paper.

"You're coming, right?" He asks, then lets out a swear before grabbing a random eraser off the floor and rubbing something out.

I shrug.

Gavin narrows his eyes at me. "James is performing today."

"I know." I reply, grabbing the eraser.

"You know? Okay, then why is it a maybe?" He asks, eyes searching and eyebrows raised.

I shrug again.

"Come on," he lets out an exasperated exhale, leaning back and letting brown waves tousle with his movements. "You're always talking 24/7. Why the fuck are you silent now?"

I'm ready to shrug again, but Gavin's eyes cut daggers into me as he flicks the eraser in my direction.

"I swear to God, if you shrug one more time I will fucking obliterate you." 

"Okay, calm the fuck down. I'm just not sure yet." I finally snap back.

"You guys are fighting," He mutters.

"Maybe." I reply, evenly.

"Dude, you're going to regret it if you don't come. This is it," He spreads his arms out, slightly, "The last Unspoken Voices we're going to witness. The first and last time we're going to see James perform."