our beach day

thank you to fannysyouraunt for all the encouraging, thoughtful comments and votes 💖

another thanks AndrewHass for all the insightful comments that you shared with me on the story and votes 💞

🥺 everyone's been really sweet  

***

JAMES

The last thing I'm expecting when I wake up is Will's arm thrown loosely around my stomach, completely disrespecting the pillow boundary we'd set up when he'd stayed over at my place last night.

He's close, warm, his dewy scent everything I'm used to. So, I can't say that I mind all that much. There's a softness that comes with being this close to Will McClain that can't exactly be put to words. 

Will lets out a groan, and his grip around my stomach tightens. I raise an eyebrow, because it's way too much for him to be actually asleep. Pair that with the exaggerated snores, and we've got a faker.

Shaking my head, I shove him over to the side as he lets out a laugh, sitting up on my bed and grinning down at me.

"Fucking liar." I say, pulling the sheets to my chin as my eyes cut into his smiling ones.

"And what about it?" he asks, arms stretching as his pale t-shirt rides up his stomach, tanned and lean and utterly him. "I mean, you're out here giving me a hard time when you sleep the way you do."

"Excuse me?" I say, sitting up so we're at the same level and Will gives me a skeptical look. 

"Dude, you either sleep with your arms and legs everywhere or curled into a tiny ball," he rubs a hand over his face, "fucking unpredictable."

"Well, you constantly hog the blanket, dipshit." I reply, jutting a finger at him, and he tilts his head to the side, letting the blond strands fall to his face.

"No, I don't." He shoots back.

"Yeah, you do," I return with a nod.

"No, I— " Will stops mid-argument, lips pursing as he catches onto my gaze and comes to a halt. He pauses, inhales the atmosphere.

"What?" I ask, and his eyes finally meet mine, expression pensive as he leans closer to me, question hiding behind his irises.

"Are your parents making waffles?" He asks, eyes shining like a little kid, temporarily forgetting about the argument.

The smell of freshly cooked waffles wafts through the air. "I guess so." I reply.

"Well, let's go," Will says, heading over to the bathroom to brush his teeth, and I'm right behind him.

As soon as we're done, we're out of the bathroom, and I toss Will his shirt which had been chucked unceremoniously to the floor just the night before.  He catches it and pulls it over his torso before speeding out the door.