Part 4

Anger, a very familiar emotion, was coursing through her veins. 

She was seething. 

She knew people didn't like what she was, but to worry for children around her? She wasn't a rogue, she was deputy Alpha. 

Running along the border, her grey wolf darting in and out of trees, it's powerful paws pounding on the ground. Her wolf took over as soon as she left the orphanage, overpowering her human side. 

She was fine with it. Avery knew her wolf wasn't stupid, and she could fight better than most males. Nothing scared her, except maybe her mother, if she figured out Avery ripped another dress shifting. 

Her wolf comes to a sudden halt, her nose pressed to the forest floor as she starts sniffing.

What the fuck are you doing?, Avery asks, and she gets growled at. Lovely. Even her wolf doesn't want to deal with her. 

There's somebody else here, her wolf snarls, inching forward slowly. 

Following the scent eagerly, her wolf pads silently and slowly along, squinting her eyes at something in the distance, continuing her slow pace. 

Avery can't distinguish the scent from the forest, but she supposes that's what her wolf is useful for. 

Something is moving in the distance. It is staying low, but she can see a tail or something. So that rules out a rabbit or a squirrel, it's much too large to be a squirrel. 

Her wolf is totally ignoring her now, intent on hunting and attacking this creature, whether or not it poses a threat to her. It could hurt somebody else, and she isn't going to let that happen when she could stop it. 

Her wolf's moral compass is a bit more tilted than hers, she supposes.

 But, it is very rare that her wolf gains full control. Usually, it's equally split, if not completely in Avery's hands what they do. 

Her wolf is about two meters from the other wolf when she decides to spring, much to Avery's alarm.

Sonya - her wolf - lands on the other wolf's back, digging her claws and teeth in mercilessly.

What Sonya did not anticipate, but Avery expected, is that this wolf is considerably large, and starts trying to buck off Sonya.

Avery mentally rolls her eyes, watching this happen as an observer, as Sonya buckles down and wraps her hind legs around the other wolf's midriff.

The other wolf freezes, it's white coat rustling in the gentle wind, before throwing itself backwards into a tree. 

Sonya, as expected, bears the brunt of the impact, and suddenly shifts, leaving Avery sitting naked against a tree, very confused and in a fair amount of pain. 

The other wolf lets out a breath of air that sounds like a snort, before shifting back.

Avery suddenly realises her position, and quickly covers herself up, scuttling behind a tree and cursing the day she was ever born.

She isn't shy, or modest to any degree. She just has no idea who the hell is on the other side of that tree, and she doesn't plan to find out if she can avoid it. 

She tries shifting, but her wolf isn't responding, apparently taking the pain on herself.

Avery curses her as well, letting her anger flow through their bond. 

Somebody clears their throat on the other side of the tree, and then chuckles.

"Are you planning on coming out any time, miss? You did attack me first," a deep-voiced man laughs, and Avery scowls, clenching her jaw, but doing some calming breaths before responding.