⠀⠀³⁵ the chosen one cliche

˒⠀S O T T . . . 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙳𝙸𝙸𝙰𝙲

○○○○●○○○○❛ JUST 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑷 YOUR CRYING,IT'S A 𝑺𝑰𝑮𝑵 OF THE 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺

○○○○●○○○○
❛ JUST 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑷 YOUR CRYING,
IT'S A 𝑺𝑰𝑮𝑵 OF THE 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺.

the chosen one cliché!  ━━ no

the chosen one cliché!  ━━ no. 035
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     NO, THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY HARRY POTTER RELATED. Although, many popular books and movie franchises have used this "Chosen One" storyline.

     Essentially, the basic idea is that some seemingly random, ordinary, person-next-door type of character is actually, wait for it... a hero. Oh, my God, no way.

     Oftentimes, these heroes are prophesied or expected to fulfill a prophecy to sAvE ThE WoRLd and they're the OnLY oNeS wHO cAn. Some classic examples of this are Lord of the Rings (Aragorn), Harry Potter (Harry Potter), Divergent (Tris), The Hunger Games (Katniss and Peeta, sorta), Ender's Game (Ender), and a hundred others.

     Don't get me wrong, I'm such a hoe for a "Chosen One" storyline. These stories SLAP, most of the time, but a problem has arisen. Hence the "most of the time" comment.

     Here's the problem: the "Chosen One" has become a cliché.

     There. I said what I said. Sent tweet.

     Look, no one likes a cliché. If you do, that's great! I'm happy for you, really! But the majority of readers do not. They want something new and spicy, which can be really difficult for authors to write. After all, how are we supposed to write a story about a character, who is ultimately deemed the "Chosen One," without making it cliché? For one, they're meant to be this powerful, important, all-mighty person who saves the day, right? So, what flaws are they supposed to have if they're meant to save everyone?