⠀⠀²⁹ the ultimate guide to villains

˒⠀S O T T . . . 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙳𝙸𝙸𝙰𝙲

○○○○●○○○○❛ JUST 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑷 YOUR CRYING,IT'S A 𝑺𝑰𝑮𝑵 OF THE 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺

○○○○●○○○○
❛ JUST 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑷 YOUR CRYING,
IT'S A 𝑺𝑰𝑮𝑵 OF THE 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺.

the ultimate guide to villains! ━━ no

the ultimate guide to villains! ━━ no. 029
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     GOD, I FUCKING LOVE VILLAINS.

     Every story needs a good villain, whether it be a physical person or a metaphorical evil force. When they are done well — when they are compelling — with convincing motives or a convincing lack of motive — whether they are penitent or redeemable, or if they are too far gone to be forgiven — the very idea of a villain is just so fucking versatile.

     Of course, moral protagonists are great and characters do good things because that's what they're supposed to do. Yeah, people feel compelled to do good deeds in the service of others or for the greater good. Sure, some characters are morally grey yet still lean more towards the good side of the character-spectrum. Obviously, characters do things that not everybody would deem as "good" but are working, nonetheless, towards a higher purpose or greater calling that is ultimately good in nature. But that's not what I, and others, want. It's not always realistic.

     Nobody is 100% good all the time.

     Give me a world where nobody is 100%. Give me Gotham City-type of characters. Give me characters whose moral compass is unpredictable and rarely leans toward the side of virtue. I want to see characters who have been ripped to shreds by society and those around them.

     Tell me how and why a character is the way that they are. Give me characters who are given every opportunity under the sun to succeed, turn their life around, and become better, yet throw it away without a second thought. Show me diverse characters that don't take into consideration those around them. Make me care about your character(s).