Chapter 1

Ten Years Later...

I ran quiet as a breath; the ground beneath my bare feet damp and cold. I didn't care, I was sick of winter. I wanted to feel the Earth with every part of me. I've missed my dear friend. Clumps of snow still clung to the base of trees, trying to hold out amongst the growing warmth.

Ahead of me the grey wolf ran, not stopping to see if I followed. I didn't. I held a low branch where the joint had been broken; then grabbed a mass of dirt and pine needle rubbing them on my skin, and through my tangled hair. Jumping across a fallen tree, I followed the tracks eagerly, stopping outside its home. I could wait all day, but my stomach grumbled. I wanted to eat now. Three squirrels ran past me, unaware of the predator so near. I took the shot, one, two, but the third got away before my arrow could find its mark.

Strung over my shoulder the bushy tails swayed with each stride. I soaked my breakfast in the river weighting them with stones while I sharpened my blade. Unable to wait any longer, I took one squirrel out, positioning it on its back, tail away from me. I cut through the tail bones and skin peeling it away from the flanks. My stomach grumbled again. I tugged the legs free from the skin casing. In one quick movement I stripped it clear to the shoulders then freed the legs, I continued methodically.

Pinching the stomach I cut into the body cavity, slicing all the way up making enough room to reach inside. The heat was welcoming as I removed the entrails. I went back to the river, rinsing my hands then the organs. Although small the heart was always my favorite, I savored it while I gathered twigs to start my fire.

I heard a snap behind me then the light shuffle of paws as the grey wolf landed her jump. Glancing over my shoulder I saw her settle down into a bed of moss, a hare between her jaws.

"That better not be my hare." I muttered.

She crunched on the skull in response.

I spoke as I breathed fire into the kindling. "Are you going to keep sitting up there or come say hello?" I didn't shout, I knew he'd heard me.

"Thought you'd never ask," said a smooth voice.

I looked up to the embankment where my best friend Marcus sat. He was gnawing on a bone; flecks of blood covered his neck and chin. He slid down, splashing into the river then swimming across. He shook the water off as he stepped out. He was dressed in only a pair of hole baron trousers. The same pair Grandmother had gifted him.

"Missed you this winter Aira." He used my nickname.

I watched as Marcus smoothed his earth colored hair back causing droplets to run down his skin. His hair had grown long since I'd last seen him; the ends curled at his shoulders.

"How long have you been trailing me?"

He huffed. "Me, trail you?"

I raised my eyebrows at him.

He smiled. "I wasn't."

"I followed her." He pointed to the grey wolf that only pulled her prey closer. "Cost me a hare too! All I got was a measly leg."

"Whiner. Where's your pack?"

He sat down on the other side of the roasting squirrel. "You know me; lone wolf." He gave a little howl. His golden eyes sparkled mischievously.

We both knew what he wasn't saying, they didn't approve of our friendship. Werewolves weren't meant to be friends with witches, or anyone outside of the pack for that matter. Still, through the years we'd stayed close. He was the brother I never had.