Chapter 8: Night Intruder

My hand flew into my bag and pulled out a bottle of pepper spray. Charlie looked at it in disbelief. "What are you doing here?" I hissed. "How did you get into my bedroom?"

"I followed you," he answered truthfully. "But how did you escape?" I asked. He let out a sigh then told me he escaped out of his handcuffs and rushed out of the police car. "Why did you need my help?" I demanded. "You lied to me about hurting my mother."

"Oh please," Charlie insisted. "Like I would ever burn down an entire building with people in it." "And yet you burned Mr. and Mrs. Field's bodies alive." I snorted. He rolled his eyes at me.

"If you are asking me to help you escape from the police, you are insane." I snapped. Charlie removed his hood then shake his head. "I want you to find my parents," he said slowly.

"They disappeared when I was born and now, I don't know where they are." All of a sudden, my stomach felt squeasy. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of cash.

"I don't want your money." I snarled. "I want you to turn yourself in." "After you find my parents." Charlie snarled back. "Why?" I asked. "Because I am a girl?" "No," Charlie answered sharply. "Because I heard of you and Ben in the newspapers. The Expedition, right?"

I froze at his question. Despite our talents as detectives, the press still don't know what we look like. They only written our names on their news articles. "Yeah," I answered speechless. "Can you guys help me?" Charlie asked. "Please?"

Ben is going to hate this. "Fine," I insisted. "We'll help you, but if you try something funny, I will hurt you." Charlie bobbed his head up and down. "Okay," he said. The boy placed a blue folder on my desk, crawled out of my window and disappeared.

I reluctantly walked over to my desk and carefully inspect the folder. Its pouches were filled with tons of papers: birth certificates, photos, and bills. It seems to me that Charlie wants us to get started.

I put the folder into my desk drawer and went back to bed. Suddenly, someone knocked on my window. I tossed my pepper spray into my bag and brought out my taser.

I was in no mood to talk to Charlie again, but just then Ben gave me a small wave. Embarrassed, I put away my taser and allowed him inside. He wore a black tank top and dark pajama pants.

His brown hair was a mess. Ben kissed me on the forehead and followed me to my bed. I would usually smile as he stroked my hair or even kissed my lips again, but this time I ignored his affections.

Ben noticed this then asked what was wrong. "Charlie came by to my window," I explained. "He said he wants us to help him find his parents." Ben let out a long groan then threw himself against the pillows.

"Why would he do that?" Ben asked. "And how did he escape from the cops?" I repeated everything Charlie told me and waited for Ben's response. "There is no way we are helping him," he spat.

"Even if we did, Officer Goody-Two-Shoes is going to think that we an accomplice to a crime we didn't commit and snitch it to his buddies." "I know," I agreed. "But maybe we should give it a shot."

"No, we are not." Ben argued. "I made a promise that we will do it." I admitted nervously. Ben groaned again. "Seriously?" he moaned. "Ugh, I guess I'll help. But I am only doing this because you'll might get hurt."

"You know I hate being someone's damsel in distress." I reminded. "I know," Ben teased. He playfully toyed with my hair and smiled. "Good night, Irene." "You too," I smiled back. "Can you tell me a story?" Ben nodded as I rested my head against his chest.

"Do you want a fairytale story?" he asked. "No," I mumbled. "I want to hear your story." Ben rubbed my back then sighed. "Once upon a time," he began. "There was a young monster who had no parents or any friends to talk to. He travels to San Francisco with a young woman with hair as the color of rich blood."

"To everyone, she seemed like a normal, old woman, but to the monster, she is like the devil in his human form. The monster and his brother were beaten mercilessly by her vengeful goons until one day, the monster stood up to her."

"While the little brother cried for the mercy of the monster, the monster is taken away by deluded people. But with help from an old man and the monster's little brother, the monster escaped from his torment and fled to California where he believed it was safe."

"After coming to a strange world, the monster changed his name and began his new life under the shadows." Ben swallowed a gulp then continued his story. "As the monster was living under an identity, the old man who helped him died."

"Of old age?" I guessed. Ben looked in my way and shook his head. "No," he answered. "He was murdered." Murdered? I thought. "How is he murdered?" "Someone shot him," Ben answered. "The monster vowed to keep his brother safe and made sure the world didn't end up like him. The End."

Ben covered us with thick blankets and went to sleep. As he was sleeping, I saw his tattoo on his shoulder and touched it with my finger. "I don't think you're a monster, Ben." I said to myself. "I think you're a hero."

Just then, I heard Ben laugh to himself. "Tell that to my old foster parents." "It's Mrs. Caroline's fault," I insisted. "I believe you never did anything wrong-" "Cole," Ben interrupted. "Just go to sleep. We'll talk about it in the morning."

I slipped my hand into Ben's and closed my eyes. "Thank you, Cole." I heard Ben whisper as he clenched my hand tightly.