Sneak Peek of Shattered

Two weeks after the funeral, everything was slowly getting back to normal: Paige recovered from her treacherous coma, news broadcasts moved on to different topics, Uncle Seth is getting over his breakup with his girlfriend, but the worst part was, Zach died in prison.

According to the news, the former terrorist hung himself in his prison cell without writing his deep regrets or fears on a piece of paper. Most police officers think that he was just trying to get out of his death sentence while others think he was tired of living.

Ever since Mom heard the tragic news, she stayed her bedroom and cried for hours until Dad, Uncle Seth, and I had calmed her down. Much to my surprise, CIA agreed to have Mom stay at home until she can recover from the loss of her friend.

Even though I wanted to go back to my school, everyone is still recovering from the loss of our late teacher, Mrs. Triton. So instead of having us come back to school, the school board let us take another day off.

As a celebration for Paige's recovery, her mother decided to celebrate by inviting me and my mother over for a Girl's Night Out. She planned us to go to town, get our nails done, and do some shopping, much to everyone's dismay.

At home, Mom and I tried to talk our way out of it, but then Uncle Seth and Dad intervened. "It would be fun, Cole." Dad beamed. "Think of it as a way for you and Cleo recover from the museum bombing." Uncle Seth gave us a this-is-good-for-you look that therapists give whenever their patients don't want to get out of their comfort zone.

"Easy for you to say," Mom snorted. "I don't know how to paint my nails and shop clothes!" "Neither do I!" I added in protest. Uncle Seth drowned his cup of coffee, laid it on the dirty kitchen counter, and crossed his arms.

"You girls need this night to yourselves," he insisted. "Come on, this is Ms. Clayton you are talking about. Is she really that bad?" I heard myself let out a long sigh. "Sometimes," I admitted.

Like for example, when Mom and Dad were sick, I tagged along with Paige and her mother, so they can drop me off at her house. While she was driving, Ms. Clayton tried to play the 'cool' Mom, talking about boys, singing songs on the radio, and gossip.

Paige kept apologizing to me about her mother's embarrassing faults. "I am very sorry," she moaned for the umpteenth time. "She's always like this when I bring a friend over."

But nonetheless, I told her not to worry about it. Mostly because I didn't want to hurt Paige's feelings. "Fine," Mom insisted. "Let's get this night over with it." I nodded alongside her.

"I'm only doing this for Paige's sake," I grumbled. Mom sipped her coffee mug then peered Dad and Uncle Seth with fishy eyes. "So, what are you guys doing?" she asked. Dad was about to answer until Uncle Seth wrapped his arm around his shoulder. "We are going where the night takes us!" he exclaimed.

"And where is that?" I asked. "A karaoke place," Dad replied. "With Jared and his father." I raised my eyebrow at him curiously. They're going to do a Guy's Night with Jared and his father? I wondered. "Ms. Clayton thought it would be a good idea," Dad added. "With the divorce, and all that has happened, she wanted to make sure that her ex-husband and her son are having a great time."

"Plus," Uncle Seth added, rubbing his hands. "The karaoke has single women there." Dad glared at him for a moment. "We are helping Jared and his father recover from tragedy, and all you can think about is single women?" Uncle Seth gave him a childish pout. "I am helping," he protested. "I am helping myself and Jared's father find a woman our own age."

"Dad,"I sighed. "He does have a point. Ever since the breakup, Uncle Seth has been moping in my room for three weeks." "Not anymore," he sniffed. "I mope on the couch now." Mom rolled her eyes and stare at the ceiling. As soon as her eyes met Dad's, she smiled "Alright then," she said with a shrug. "You can have your Guy's Night, but stay close your brother."

Uncle Seth gave her a glare. "Cole, I am thirty-four years old." he stated. "I don't need Ben to watch me." Mom gave him an angry look. "Yes he does," she argued. "Because last time Ben didn't watch you, you scared Cleo to death wearing that creepy clown costume!"

I squinted my eyebrows as if I was trying to remember. "What?" Dad asked. "When was that?" "At her five year old birthday party," Mom answered, looking at Uncle Seth. "I told you not to wear that clown costume, but you did anyway. I had to convince Cleo to get out of her bedroom for two weeks!"

A thought came to mind as I remembered what Mom was talking about: While Dad is in overseas, Mom and Uncle Seth celebrated my birthday at home. I remembered Uncle Seth showing Mom his clown outfit and asked her what she thinks.

Varieties of paint covered his face, huge red ball stuck on his nose, and he wore a bright red wig. He wore a long blue frilly costume and big shoes. "Pretty cool, right? he asked. Mom shook her head no. "I want a birthday clown," she groaned. "Not American Horror Story. Cleo is going to get traumatized when she looks at you." Uncle Seth cast her a doubtful look.

"Look," she began. "I am going to the store to buy her a birthday cake and presents. While I am gone, I want you to look after her, okay?" After Mom left the house, I got a little bored playing chess on the dining table so I watched Dragon Tales in the living room.

Just then, two blue hands grabbed my shoulder. I looked up to see Uncle Seth smiling maniacally. "Happy Birthday!" he sang. Terrified, I jumped off of the sofa, ran into my bedroom, and locked the door behind me.

Cringing at that memory, Uncle Seth scratched his head and apologized to me. "Was I really that scary?" he asked me. "Yeah," I answered. "That costume was pretty terrifying."