Chapter 17: Seth's Surprise

As soon as we left the dilapidated building, I was sent to the hospital, along with the survivors. Zach is going to be arrested for terrorism and killing many lives. However, the judge thought it would be possible for him to go to jail for at least thirty years without any trial or bail.

The museum is now being constructed, especially the ones which Zach and his presumably father had targeted. The President of the United States came to my hospital room personally to thank me for bringing Zach to justice.

After three weeks of bliss and serenity, everyone gotten released from the hospital, except for Paige. Because of the injuries she had faced, the doctor says that she will be in a coma for more than ten weeks. Jared and his parents never spoke one word or even looked at anyone ever again.

I remembered just before the police dragged Zach in their vehicle, he gave me a long look then forcibly sat in the passenger seat. Noticing the look on my face, Dad sat down next to me and stroked my hair.  "This is all my fault," I insisted. He looked at me as if I was crazy.

"What is?" Dad asked. "Allowing Harold to take care of Mrs. Triton," I said. "Getting Paige in a coma, and the best part, being some stupid-"

"Cleo," Dad interrupted sternly. "You are not stupid. You just didn't know." "That's the definition of stupidity," I grumbled. "Cleo," Dad repeated. "Zach and Harold planning their attack wasn't your fault."

"We both knew that they were up to something bad, but we didn't know what." I stared at the ivory bottom step then picked my fingernail. "I have suspected that boy wasn't dead."

I looked at him in surprise. "The gun he used," he began. "It was a 50. Caliber to the head. Apparently, he survived in hospital. Seth and I visited him." "Did Mom knew about this?" I asked unsurely. He shook his head.

"I didn't want your mother to overreact," he replied. "Anyway, Seth and I came into his room and saw him in his hospital bed. He had a scar on his temple, he looked like he hasn't been eating for weeks."

"What happened?" I asked. "I wanted to talk to him, wanted to say that I was sorry for what happen in Chinatown. I wanted to say that Cole missed him, but he wouldn't listen to me."

That's when I saw Dad's eyes in tears. Angrily, he wiped them off of his face then took a deep breath. "Instead," he began. "Zach tried to kill me." Salty liquid came pouring out of his eyes as he clenched his fists.

"Zach leaped out of his hospital bed and he tried to strangle me." I let out a gasp. " 'This is all your fault.' " Dad continued sobbing. "Seth alerted the nurses and doctors...they pulled Zach and then they drugged him."

"The next thing I knew he was sent to an asylum for five years." "Dad," I mumbled. "Ever since my parents died in a car accident," He continued. "I felt that everything is my fault. I was supposed to take care of your uncle, I was supposed to be the big brother."

"Yet, I was arrested for pushing a pychopath down the stairs, I shut people out, and I tried to-" I wrapped my arms around him then closed my eyes.

"I forgive you," I whispered. "I still love you, no matter what." I felt his hand slipping onto my hand then held onto it. "You were trying to help him," I breathed. "You tried to help Uncle Seth, Zach, and you're a hero."

"Okay," he croaked. I kissed my father on the cheek then rested on his shoulder. "I love you, Mary Russell." Dad whispered. "You too, Sherlock." I whispered back.

"Cleo," said a distant voice. "Cleo." All of a sudden, someone yanked my book out of my hand then placed it on my bedside. As it turns out, it was Uncle Seth, giving me a worried look.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "You have been sitting in your room for two weeks!" My eyes widened in reponse. "Two weeks?!" I shrieked, hopping off of my bed.

Uncle Seth nodded. I ran my fingers up to my hair then looked around the room. It was still the same: periwinkle blue is everywhere, books are still tucked away in the shelves, and my desk remained untidy.

"What day is it?" I demanded. "Uh, Monday?" Uncle Seth answered. "Your school was more than happy to give you and your class a couple of days off, because you guys been through alot."

My eyes bore a hole on the ground. "Is Mrs. Triton...still dead?" Uncle Seth nodded again. "The school will be hosting a funeral tonight." He explained, touching my arm. "I am very sorry."

Instead of responding, I went back to reading the book that Uncle Seth yanked. The book cover is blue with white and dark clouds on it. The Fault In Our Stars, the cover read.

I flipped to page one fifty and watched as the dark inked words filled the white pages. I looked up to see Uncle Seth standing there, feeling embarrassed. For a moment, I felt bad for him. But all of a sudden, a crooked smile came to his lips.

"I have a surprise for you," he giggled. I gave him a sad smile then told him that I am too busy reading. "You definitely need to see this, Cleo." Uncle Seth chuckled.

"This will blow your mind." "Please," I sighed. "I want to see how it ends." Uncle Seth gave me a look that made me laugh when I was little. "I didn't want to do this," he sighed. "But you leave me no choice..."

"Augustus dies at the end of the book!" I stared at him in disbelief. "Uncle Seth!" I whined. "How did he-" "I've seen the movie," Uncle Seth interrupted, taking my arm. "You're coming with me."