Chapter 31: Goodbye... For now

*6 months later*

Caddie's POV:

Rain pelted the window of my dorm room as I put the rest of my things in my suit case. I heaved a heavy side before chancing a look outside. The weather had been dreary for the past few days, it mirrored my mood perfectly. My heart ached as I timidly reached for the locket that hadn't left my neck since it was given to me months ago. I held back the tears that threatened to fall free as I thought of the kind-hearted boy that died for me. There wouldn't be anymore dry jokes, short but meaningful talks. I also didn't have to worry about picking out a dress, for a long time. Looking back on the first-half of my freshman year I wouldn't have been able to survive without him.

He understood me, and took the time to get to know the real me. He didn't just see me as a freak or the Dark Witch's heir, but as Caddie Mae Jones. The months passed in a blur, I cried, I screamed, I grieved but in the end he didn't come back to me. Aleksander was rushed into intensive care as soon as we got back to the school. Except for the times that I visited, I didn't see him. For some reason that made the whole situation easier for me, I couldn't help but feel like I had chose Aleksander over Cam.

No one deserved to suffer the way Aleksander had, but if I had to do all again I wouldn't have risked my friends' lives. We were all to young to even think about death. We wouldn't dare think that one of us could die so easily, until the unthinkable happened. The council members were alarmed but not because he died, but because they now had the threat of war over their heads. They didn't care about Cameron, in fact it seemed as if I was the only to grieve over his death. Alix and Dmitri had been genuinely upset but over time they learned to move passed that, 'unfortunate event', as they so kindly put it.

Some of his werewolf friends seemed hurt and shocked at first but just like everyone else they got caught up in the excitement of the drama. It was disgusting. Once the word spread about the possible upcoming war the rest of the student body forgot about Cam and began to worry about losing their own lives. We were teenagers, it was easy to get caught up in the mystical part of our magical society but now we had to remember about the dark parts of magical world. We all were in danger.

One night Alix had woken up shaking and shivering, tears poured down her face. It was weird, normally I was the one that was falling apart and needed the comforting. She had continued to shake and mumble a slew of words incoherently. The only words that I was able to pick out in the most of her babbling was, the wolf won't be the only one to die.

A shiver ran up my spine as I thought of that night. Who else would die because of me? I placed the rest of my clothing in my suitcase and sighed. I managed to survive the rest of the school year and so did my friends but I knew the threat wasn't gone. A war was about to break out, I promised myself that next year I wouldn't be so helpless. I would stand up and fight the dark ones, and save my friends.

"I still can't believe that was all you had to live off of for the year," Alix scoffed as she stood in the doorway.

She looked stunning as always. Her auburn hair flowed freely down her shoulders contrasting nicely against her signature black attire. Her dark painted lips were twisted into a cocky smirk, but I could see the pain behind her mossy green eyes. The atmosphere was tense, not only did I feel my sadness but I felt hers as well. Alix was my best friend, I had so much to thank her for. Spending the next three months without her seemed impossible.

I glanced down at my only suitcase and shot her a sheepish smile. She knew shopping was never my thing. Ebony, my cat, jumped onto my suitcase and snuggled into the neatly folded sweatshirts. I nudged my beautiful cat off of my bed and sealed my suitcase. Alix rolled her eyes at my mundane action and wiggled her fingers. Sparks flew and her luggage began to levitate in the air.