Chapter 16: Time For Some Digging

CADDIE's POV:

Sitting on the nearest bench, I devised a plan. The only way to get answers, was to go straight to the source. But I knew Aleksander by now and he wasn't going to come out and say he killed Dmitri. Who would come out and bluntly state that they killed someone? No one sane. Then again, no one with an inch of sanity would kill someone else.

I shook my head. Great, I thought to myself, this whole thing has made you crazy.

"Caddie...are you all right?" Mava said, she gave me funny look and slowly approached.

No I am a lot of things but I am definitely not alright, I thought to myself.

"Sure," I lied, and pushed loose strands of my hair back into the ponytail- in a lame attempt to make myself seem more presentable.

She quickly sat down beside me, but situated herself so she could make a quick get away. "I was just wondering if you were delirious? You were mumbling to yourself."

My cheeks burned in embarrassment. I cleared my throat, "Uh, no I'm not delirious. Didn't you hear people who talk to themselves are really smart?"

"Yeah but people also say a mortal man once walked on the moon," she snorted.

I started to laugh with her until I realized she honestly believed the moon landing was fake. My laughter awkwardly died out. Even though Mava seemed to be a sweet girl, she had the intelligence of a woodpecker.

"Mava, there was a mortal man who walked on the moon. His name was Neil Armstrong."

Mava made a weird face and unsuccessfully tried to hide it from me. "What were you talking to yourself about?" She asked in an attempt to save the awkward moment.

I made a flippant gesture with my hand, accidentally sending sparks flying. Mava's eyes widened but she said nothing. I smiled weakly.

"Don't worry about it. You probably don't know," I said standing up.

She stepped in my way and held her hands up.

"There isn't much that goes on in this school that I don't know about. Try me," she said with a challenging look on her delicate features.

I sighed. The only reason I was trying to figure this out was because it caused Cam so much pain. At least that's what I told myself. But there was something else pulling me towards the truth. Something was whispering in the shadows, calling for help.

"Has there been a recent student, named Dmitri?"

A small gasp escaped Mava. Goosebumps formed on her tiny arms, as if a chilling wind had swept through the courtyard. But it wasn't cold. The name Dmitri had somehow managed to terrify the little girl with no inhibitions.

"How did you hear about that name?" She managed to utter.

"A friend," I said quickly. "Mava, if you know something about him, tell me!"

She looked up at my frenzied expression and shook her head ominously. "He's gone. They took him."

I grabbed her by the shoulders and looked her in the eye. "Tell me, Mava, who took him. Was it Aleksander?"

She gave me an odd look, "Aleksander would never hurt Dmitri. The dark ones took him. For revenge."

"What revenge--"

"Hey guys!" Irene yelled running up to us. "Are you okay, Caddie?" She asked.

My eyes flickered to Irene for a moment, her expression changed when she saw the anger in my eyes.