Chapter 4: Fainted

Alix's POV:

There was no way I was going to live past next week if I was already mentally scarring Caddie. I pondered ways to escape as my new roommate, and future leader of my kind laid passed out in my arms. It was my first day on the job and she was already knocked out cold. I could practically envision Lady Bose visiting me at night, dressed in a Grim Reaper costume.

"Well, darn," I kissed my life goodbye.

Looking around, I tried to see if there was anything I could do to help, but there wasn't. Laying her on the bed, I poked my head out into the hallway and looked for someone to help me carry her out. My eyes settled on two workers who were settling another group of girls into their dorms.

"Excuse me," I called out to them, "My roommate fainted."

The men shared a startled look and quickly walked over to our room.

"Oh no, this is Lady Bose's niece," One of the men mumbled.

"How did this happen?" The other asked.

I felt like a deer caught in the headlights. I had two choices: tell them my part in this, or lie. Naturally, I chose to lie.

"Shouldn't we be doing something to help her?" I tried to sound hysterical and frantic so they wouldn't believe that I had something to do with it.

They shot me suspicious glance but agreed nonetheless. Wrapping their large meaty arms around her delicate body they picked her up with ease and carried her out of the room. I followed them out. At this point, everyone was standing outside of their room with confused expressions on their faces.

"What, haven't you ever seen a girl faint before?" I asked sharply, the worry in their eyes disappeared and they shared knowing looks.

Of course they had. Many of these girls were a part of social elite- they were willing to starve their selves to the point of passing out if that meant they could have the tiniest waist size. 

Biting my lip, I tried to ignore the rumors that circulated the dorm. The girls were whispering to each other about my 'anorexic' roommate. Teen girls never knew when to close their mouths and be respectful. I admit, that I've said a handful of idiotic things in my time, but for some reason I couldn't imagine saying anything that would hurt Caddie. My eyes trained on the Dark Witch's heir, lying lump in muscular man's arms. She seemed so innocent, it was a shame that all that innocence would be washed away by her magic.

I followed them through the left archway into a luxuriously decorated corridor, and then we were in the main part of the school. One of them men cradled Caddie to his chest while the other one ran towards two impressively large doors.

A middle-aged woman popped her ash blond head out the door. She looked angry, but her anger melted into concern once she saw Caddie. She ushered the men in, I was going to follow, but the door was rudely slammed in my face. I turned away, heat flooding to my cheeks. Instead of returning to my dorm room, like I had originally planned, I crouched beside the door and waited for Caddie to return. Even though she was just supposed to be a job, I couldn't help but worry for her safety.

Caddie's POV:

I awoke to a woman whispering an enchanting tune to me. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled into a tight bun. She didn't wear any makeup to cover the bags under her eyes or the growing amount of wrinkles. Wisdom and something darker swirled in the depths of her eyes. She wore a white button up shirt and an old fashioned black hoop skirt. There was something behind the wrinkles and odd attire that seemed familiar to me.