Chapter 23: The Winter Ball

CADDIE's POV:
The ride to our destination was painfully short. Aleksander and I rode together, but while alone neither of us spoke or looked at each other. There were a million things I wanted to say but I had no idea how to word them. The feelings inside of me were so polar opposite, I had a tough time forming a single thought while in his presence. I didn't know what to think of him. He was such a confusing character with his wild mood swings and ominous nature I couldn't help but push him away. I still didn't understand how he felt about his brother. He chose to help me, so he had to like him. 

At least that's what I told myself. Trying to figure Aleksander out was difficult, to say the least.

The driver parked on a dirt path beside a dense, snowy forest. Hundreds of cars lined the thin path, but I couldn't see any people.

"Where is everyone?" I asked Aleksander as we stepped out of the car.

"They're already inside," he told me, and recaptured my hand.

"Where is 'inside?'" I looked down at our hands intertwined. It felt weird, almost wrong.

He stiffened. He must have felt how uncomfortable I felt beside him but he didn't let go.

"You'll see," he said coolly and pulled me down the dirt path with the other heirs trailing behind.

After a few minutes of walking past the hordes of parked cars, we saw the clearing and large building that occupied most of the field.

The dark marble structure looked like something from the Gothic Era. It was an impressive view with the black Corinthian columns in the front, and the golden dome on the roof. In the night it was almost invisible as I could really only see the glint of the gold accents.

Aleksander led me up the humongous black marble stairs. Two fine men bowed as we stood before them and opened the doors. I walked into the spacious building with the others beside me. Despite the dark exterior, the inside was very light.

Thousands of twinkling lights hung from chandeliers above the seated witches' and warlocks' heads. Most people were sitting down at ivory tables talking quietly and listening to the orchestra play. The atmosphere seemed pleasant, until they noticed our arrival. I held onto Aleksander's hand a little tighter as several accusing stares landed on me.

The witches and warlocks then seemed to regain their composure and stood, slightly bowing. The six council members appeared in the front of the room by the orchestra. The other heirs stopped walking as we reached the middle of the room and waited for the Head Minister to speak.

All of the men were wearing elegant suits. Heidi and Maddox's mom both looked glamorous in sleek dark dresses that were tailored to their bodies perfectly.

Everyone in the room had dressed accordingly for the occasion. Men wore tuxes and the women wore stunning ball-gowns. I felt slightly overwhelmed in a room filled to the brim with gorgeous and powerful people.

The Head Minister stepped forward and cleared his throat, demanding attention from everyone in the room. His white mustache twitched in approval as the room began to fade into silence.

"Today we welcome six fine individuals into our society as honored and respected witches and warlocks," His loud voice boomed throughout the large room; it seemed bounce off of the white marble walls.

"They are our future, and assurance that our kind will continue to survive throughout the following decades," He continued and I became increasingly aware of how important this day was.

I couldn't see any cameras but I knew that the rest of the witches and warlocks wouldn't be watching.

What did they think about us? I wondered. They were as vital to our society as anyone else in that room. Did they think that we looked powerful? Or like a bunch of confused teenagers?