❁Chapter 24❁

*One month later*

"Alpha."

...

"Alpha!"

...

"Feather!"

"What?"

The emotionless face turns to the caller of her name, and the latter has to inhale sharply to get used to the look on their Alpha's almost dead face.

"Everyone's waiting for you downstairs."

"Why?"

They cough and swallow, trying to get words out as smoothly as possible.

"It's the signing ceremony. To welcome the White Stone pack."

"Oh." She pauses, focusing her gaze back at the wall opposite her. "Ask Juliene to handle it. She has my stamp."

The speaker wipes sweat off their head and dares to speak again.

"We- we need you, Alpha."

A scoff is heard.

"Well, you can't use a dead soul anyway."

"Bu-"

"Leave if you want to live."

This sentence came out lacing with a heavy tone and growl, and the speaker can see the nails coming out.

"Forgive me, Alpha." They bow and rush out of the room.

Feather's shoulders slump and the cry of her wolf squeezes her heart in agonizing pain, nails digging in her palms till they bleed.

Before her restless mind can take over what's left of her sanity, she jumps right through the window of her room and shifts mid-air, padding off towards the dense woods.

Nothing works.

Not a single thing she does to get her mind to divert or to make her heart to forget, nothing ever works.

On the contrary, every damn single thing reminds her of him.

His scent, his laughter, his eyes, his memories, his voice, his touch, everything haunts Feather.

Was it always this difficult to breathe alone? She'd lived all on her own before, right? Then why does it feel like every intnake of breath is as if swallowing thorns? Why?

Day rolls to an end and night appears, again, but still her heart remains empty.

Her wolf sprawls across the clearing she often visited with her mate during their runs, letting her soul absorb the lingering sense of her mate as much as is left in the atmosphere.

"Florian?"

Her wolf cries. The lack of response tears her insides every time even though she knows there will never be a response for this name again. For as long as she lives.