Chapter Five: 10:30 PM

Very quickly, the platform started to clear out, people grumbling as they turned back around and went up the stairs. There were loud shouts and yelling as people cleared out, Harper and Alex being jostled as those departing shoved past them. For reasons neither of them could really understand other than an intense curiosity, both of them stayed until finally there were only a few people lingering on the platform.

Harper was the one who spoke first, her face flushing once more as Alex looked in her direction.

"As much as I appreciate having company and sticking around, I definitely need to get home," Harper said, echoing the sentiments of those still remaining. "I think I'm going to just head on out. Good luck to the rest of you." Harper turned slowly, silently willing the man to say something and she nearly jumped with delight when he did.

"I'll go with you," the man suddenly piped up. Harper lifted an eyebrow at him in response. It was exactly what she wanted, but it wouldn't hurt to play a little game. After all, they were still strangers and there would be no harm done.

"Excuse me?" Harper said.

"I, uhm...I'll go with you," Alex repeated.

"I don't even know you."

"Oh," Alex said quietly, suddenly thrusting his hand out towards Harper who took it cautiously. "I'm Alex Reynolds," he said, giving Harper a quick shake. "And you are?"

"Harper," she replied with a laugh. "Harper Mitchell, if we're apparently giving last names, as well."

"Harper Mitchell," Alex said under his breath, almost like a spell. "Well, now that we're not strangers, why don't I walk you home?"

"Oh, do you think it's that easy to invite yourself over and get in my pants?"

"I wasn't trying to get in your pants. I could call you an Uber or something or just give you some cash to head home or whatever it is you need," Alex said quickly, spluttering over his words and looking confused as Harper burst out into laughter.

"Relax," Harper said through her laughter, settling down when she realized just how alarmed and confused Alex was. "It was just a joke. Are you always like this?" Harper sighed, looking towards the stairs. "Guess we should start walking if you plan on coming with me."

The silence between Harper and Alex was awkward, neither of them knowing what to say as they walked up the stairs and back onto the city's sidewalks. Harper glanced up at Alex from the corner of her eye and immediately flushed when she realized he was looking at her.

"Uhm, I'm really sorry about this morning," Harper said. "Didn't mean to walk into you, but you just kind of got in my way."

"I got in your way?" Alex asked, careful to keep some space between himself and Harper. He was afraid that if he touched her he would experience that same magnetic pull from the morning, and he wasn't sure that he could handle it. "I didn't get in your way. I just got up the stairs."

"Yeah, I know," Harper answered. "But then you stopped for some reason, and I didn't have the time to get around you."

Alex gave Harper a funny look, taking in her baffled expression beneath her glasses. "I didn't stop," Alex replied as he tried to mentally go through his memories. Did he? "You just weren't paying attention."

"Oh, is that what it was?" Harper laughed. "Well, whatever helps you sleep at night then, Alex Reynolds." She was quiet for a moment, lips pursing slightly as she thought about something. "Are you just Alex? Or is Alex short for something?"

"It's just Alex."

"Well, that's surprising, 'Just Alex.' You seem like an Alexander," Harper said before turning her head to look at Alex a little better. Looking at him up close, Harper really couldn't deny the fact that he was good looking. The stubble he had that morning had grown out some more, making his sharp cheekbones look a little less stark. Her eyes followed the slope of his nose and then fell on his very kissable lips and she quickly looked away. "Perhaps an Alejandro."