Chapter Four

Alex Reynolds was not a dancer, so when he found himself swept up in the noise of the bar that he decided to go to with his colleagues, he was surprised. He had only had three drinks, something that was usual for him, but there was something about the night that felt like dancing was necessary.

Harper Mitchell, on the other hand, was and couldn't contain her joyous laughter as she danced along with Lily to the music that was being played. With a cocktail in hand, Harper and Lily bobbed and weaved, creating their own choreography for each new song that played.

It wasn't often that some of New York's more historical buildings offered events for the public to enter without a steep ticketing fee. The fact it was open to the public, save for a cover charge in the form of a donation to the historical society, made it all the more alluring. The music and steady drinks were just a bonus.

The event was equal parts lively as it was sophisticated. Fancy dress was not required as after a certain hour, the lights were set to dim, and the "real" party would begin. In the meantime, music still blared in what was once a spacious bank entryway with high, vaulted ceilings and an ornate chandelier. The lighting was warm and the passed h'orderves were a mix of sweet and savory. If someone wasn't drunk on alcohol, Harper swore they could be drunk on the food.

"Great music, huh?" Alex shouted over the noise to Ryan who had, in fact, managed to grab Mia from administration, and gotten her to join them.

"It's wonderful!" Mia answered instead. She let out a "whoa!" as Ryan took her hand and spun her around. "I'm so glad that I decided to come out."

"Yeah, that makes two of you," Brielle said, leaning in close to Alex. "Are you doing okay? I don't think I've ever seen you dance so much in my life."

"Doing great!" Alex replied. "Can't wait for the party to really start!"

As if on cue, the room darkened, and bright technicolor lights lit up the room at the edges. A loud, whooping cheer flew up from the crowd as the whole vibe of the event changed. With the lights turned down, the event turned from a normal, sophisticated party to one that would rival the local late-night clubs. The DJ, anticipating the change, was quick to change the music that was playing from party-hits to club beats that had more people rushing out to the makeshift dance floor.

"I have never had so much fun!" Harper shouted to Lily as they danced. And it was true. Harper frequently let loose, but she had never experienced a party in such an ornate space before. It was strange to realize how much history had taken place in the transformed bank, but it was fun to see how it could be used. For one brief moment, she considered the possibility of transforming the bookstore for a night into something similar, but there was no way that the floors would hold anywhere as well as the marble beneath her feet.

"Isn't it awesome?" Lily shouted back. "So glad you came out!"

Harper was glad, too.

As the night progressed, the ambiance transformed completely into a makeshift club. The lobby was pulsing with the beats of the music playing, the chandeliers shaking with the movement of the dancing crowds. The polished marble floor became a sparkling dancefloor, reflecting the bright lights that bounced around the room. The room was full of laughter and joy, and all too soon, the music ended, and the lights overhead drew to a dimmed state to not overwhelm those still in attendance. Nothing was worse than glaring bright lights after being immersed in the dark for so long.

Even though Alex enjoyed himself, he had to admit that he was ready to get home. His feet hurt, he was sweaty, and he was exhausted. He was practically dragging himself out of the building with the masses of people going in every direction to return home.