Chapter Two

Alex was not someone who found himself distracted often or very easily, but his workday was thoroughly disrupted by his encounter that morning. Why was that woman not paying attention to where she was going? Why was she seemingly so oblivious to the world around her? Why was he the one that she had to run into?

He sat in the vast expanse of one of the sleek conference rooms that lined the far wall of his office's building. It overlooked the city skyline, its tinted windows bringing in the brilliant sun as it glittered and reflected off of the buildings across the way. The windows seemed to shimmer and shine in a way unlike anything Alex could describe that day, as if a haze had been wiped away to show him something different. Only the faintest of car honks could be heard with how far up they were in the building, not distracting Alex enough to pay attention to what was happening in the room.

Alex's fingers drummed on the shiny, resin tabletop as his thoughts ran away from him. He couldn't get himself to stop thinking about the red-haired woman and her apparent vintage dress; Alex had been curious to know more about her and had actually Googled what she was wearing. It took him some time to track down the exact pattern, and he balked at the price tag he was presented. He couldn't help but wonder if the woman was someone who scoured through thrift shops on the weekends or if her quest for vintage clothing permitted her to pay far more than necessary. Did she have more than one dress in that style? Of course, Alex finally decided. She was fascinating enough to have hexagon shaped glasses, he had no doubt that she had more than one vintage dress in her closet.

He shifted in his seat, forcing himself to sit up as the meeting continued on. Alex tried to keep his thoughts on the presentation in front of him knowing that he was going to have to present that morning's findings at some point. He knew that he should be skimming through his notes to make sure that he had put down each of the points he needed to mention, but instead, Alex found himself doodling.

Ryan, his figurative second-in-command and best friend, was the first to notice that Alex didn't appear to be in the meeting with the others. He gave Alex a kick under the table, forcing him to sit up a little straighter and shoot him a look.

"Dude, is everything all right?" Ryan asked quietly. "You seem a bit off today."

"Fine," Alex answered automatically. He shot Ryan another look, but it didn't appear that his friend was convinced.

When it was time for Alex to present, he was quick to realize that not only was his focus not entirely there, but his colleagues were noticing as well. The more he spoke, trying to work through the security issue they would have to tackle, the less his words were making sense. He found himself stumbling over his words, and Alex Reynolds did not stutter. He paused halfway through his presentation when his other colleague, Brielle, leaned in to say something to Ryan who nodded. Ryan stood up, running his hands down the front of his shirt, and approached Alex.

"Why don't I take over?" Ryan asked quietly. "I can handle it." Alex made to protest, but Ryan was insistent, and Alex gave in, forcing himself to sit back down in his seat.

Throughout the rest of the meeting, Alex remained just as distracted as before. He tried to ignore the warmth under his collar from his embarrassment. Alex never let himself slip the way that he did and he wasn't about to let it happen again.

When the meeting finished, everyone filed out except for Alex and Ryan, each of their colleagues casting Alex curious glances. Ryan gave small waves to everyone as they passed, forcing a smile on his face and then turning to Alex once the room was empty.

"Dude," Ryan said, running his hands through his hair, "what is wrong with you?"

"Nothing," Alex said, waving Ryan off as he stood. "I'm fine."