Chapter Seventeen

**This has not been edited or proofread**

Ryan

Ryan: Don't forget we have dinner with my parents tonight.

This was the first family dinner we were having with my parents since Ross passed away, and I knew it might be hard on her. But we needed to do this. Even Dr. Childre thought so. It was another step in her healing process, and she'd been doing so well since she started therapy and started taking medication for her anxiety and depression.

She'd been sitting in on every football practice, no matter how cold it was outside. The team adored her, and I was pretty sure most of them were hardcore crushing on her. And though I was a grown man, it made me extremely green with jealousy. If my skin could turn colors when they flirted with her, I would be greener than the Hulk.

Anna: I haven't forgotten. I promise. I'm nervous though.

Ryan: No need to be nervous, sweet girl. I'll be right there with you the entire time.

Anna: Thanks for being someone I can rely on.

Ryan: Always, sweet girl.

I put my phone in my pocket and stared down at the pies in front of me. Mom put me in charge of bringing a pie, but I wasn't feeling like eating pie, which made the decision hard to make.

My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I pulled it out, smirking at Anna's text. Sometimes, she knew me too well.

Anna: Any pie is good, but I could probably eat some peanut butter pie if you can find it.

I quickly looked through the freezer section until I found one—the last one. I quickly grabbed it and then sent her a text back as I made my way to the checkout line.

Ryan: Got the last one for you. Be ready when I get home.

Anna: Yes, sir.

I chuckled and dropped my phone back into my pocket, smiling at the cashier as I set the pie on the counter.

~*~*~

Anna blew out a shaky breath, wiping her palms on her black leggings. She'd paired them with a comfortable-looking pair of boots and a gray sweatshirt with some skeleton on it that had a pumpkin head. It was surprisingly adorable on her, and it definitely fit the Anna I was used to—the Anna that was slowly coming back to me.

"I don't know if I'm ready to step foot back in this house," Anna confessed, her voice breaking.

I set the pie down on the roof of the car and then wrapped her up in my arms, squeezing her to me. "You're so strong, sweet girl. You've got this. Just take a deep breath." She did as I instructed. "Good girl. Now slowly let it out." She slowly released the breath, her shoulders relaxing. "There you go. One more time." Once she didn't feel like she was going to internally combust, I eased her back, smiling softly down at her. "It's going to be okay; I promise."

She grabbed my hand in hers, linking our fingers together. I grabbed the pie with one hand, and together, we walked up the porch. Slowly, she opened the door, and for a moment, she just stood there, staring into the foyer where I knew many times, she and Ross had shared kisses and sweet, heated glances.

I gently squeezed her hand, reminding her she wasn't alone. She blew out a soft breath and then stepped inside, her hand tightening around mine. I gently nudged the door closed behind us and headed into the kitchen where I could hear Mom humming a tune.

"Oh, you made it!" she exclaimed. She took the pie from me and set it on the counter before wrapping Anna up in a hug, kissing her cheek. "Hi, honey. You doing okay?"

Anna nodded. "I, um, I started therapy a few weeks ago," she informed my mom. Mom's eyes brightened, and she nodded her head for Anna to continue. "It's been helping, and I'm on medication now for my depression and anxiety."

I dropped a kiss to the top of her head before slowly releasing her hand to go put the pie in the fridge. "She hasn't lost her love of rainy days and thunderstorms though," I teased, winking at her over Mom's shoulder.

She blushed, but the way she smiled at me—God, it tore the breath right from my lungs and made it her own.

She'd be okay, and hopefully, when she was, she'd still remember me when she moved on with her life and found someone worthy of her smiles and that pretty blush.