Chapter 153 - Embarrassment & Misunderstandings

I got those kneeling old men to somehow stood up. What I needed the most, at this moment, was an explanation.

This was not a plan to escaped while I was confused. Rather, they looked to be really afraid of me. I wondered if this was the effect of me releasing my mana from before. But Guta-san once said " They returned to their previous state after a week even if they were being threatened by [Shadows]. " so they do not seemed like men who would cringed away when their life was threatened after going through that experience.

So.. why? I glanced at the trembling old man standing nearest to me. Sensing my glance, he shivered up into his clothes.

" Erm... "

I asked the one who stood at the front, thinking that he must had been the leader. His shoulders jumped at my voice.

" P, p, please forgive me! O' messenger! We are wrong! So, so, please, please spare our lives.....! "

He then proceeded to prostate once again as he howled in half-madness. Somehow, I felt like I did something horrible to them. With a wry expression on my face, I walked over to where he was. It seemed like he had gone to the brink of madness.

" And why is that? "

I had no idea what [O' Messenger] was but since it seemed like they had mistaken me for that, I was going to put it into use. Seeing the weird expression on my face, the old man trembled even harder.

" I, I was tricked! That's why.... "

" I see.... Sigh.... That's horrible... So that's it... "

I responded emotionlessly as the old man rambled on with his excuses. Like how they were threatened by the Nobles into paying high taxes thus squeezing them dry. Like how they were trying to protected themselves by using the money they took. Like how they were tricked by the Emperor into believing that Beastmen where beneath them. And many more.

Despite being the Emperor of a country that despised Beastmen, Guta-san surprisingly held no contempt towards them at all. Back at Elzmu's Royal Castle, he did not shown any bad feelings when I introduced the members that would be heading towards Hattuo for the mission. This surprised me greatly.

Guta-san once said that he believed in efficiency instead, I think. It didn't matter if they were humans or not, as long as they could be used. Guta-san, who was born in a country with a deep-rooted contempt for Beastmen, and had even grew up in within the Nobles who had been the worst, had not been led by that thinking.

The old man continued his tasteless excuses. The anger that gotten lost in all the confusion before, rushed right back up. It looked like he was going to continue weaving excuses for himself.

I looked down at the old man and said.

" I won't take your life. ....Raise your face up. "

" Yes! Yes! Thank y..o..u...?! "

Thanking profusely, the old man looked up and froze. Yes. Right now, I had a superb smile on my face.

.....As my anger raged on inside!

" I said it before, haven't I? That I am here to judge. "

Touching the cheek of the frozen old man, I smiled.

" Please do not think that you would die so easily. .....You will pay for your sins, you pig. "

Releasing the fainted old man, I turned and walked out of the room. At this time, the Intelligence Corps members entered the room. The timing was perfect, seeing the gambling tables were still all in full view. With all these evidence, it would be easy getting a confession out of them.