47.

Anaya.

"Thank you darling," I smiled sweetly at Bolik as he handed me my breakfast.

"Anything for you."

I smiled again and blew him a kiss.

It wasn't until he left the room that my smile faded.

It was my fifth day here. It was going to be my last. One way or another, I was getting out of here today.

Dead or alive.

Bolik had turned my childhood home into a prison I wanted to escape and I hated him for that. I hated him for how he insisted on sleeping on a mattress on the floor next to my bed. He had attempted to sleep in the bed with me but plans changed when it was discovered that the bed couldn't contain us both.

But I had to keep up my pretence. Bolik believed I was now getting used to the idea of being his mate. I don't know how much he believed I had fallen for him but I was going to test that today.

Breakfast looked like grits but I knew it certainly wasn't a pig. I ate it all the same. I couldn't afford to be picky with my food. I needed all the energy I could get if I had any hope of escaping this place.

I had nobody coming for me. Alex would be off in a newlywed haze with Selene, and Tim would have no idea where to even begin looking for me and apart from those two, there was no one else who would care that I was gone.

There was no rescuing me this time. I was going to need to be my own hero.

"Bathroom!" I called out.

Going to the bathroom was a tedious affair at first but the whole process had gotten quite routinal. Bolik came into the room, his eyes gleaming. I had a feeling he spied on me when I was in the bathroom but I was yet to confirm that.

He then proceeded to unlock the padlock and loosen the chains around my ankles. I immediately went to rub my sore ankles. The chains weren't too tight but it got uncomfortable constantly having bulky metal around them.

He then led me to the bathroom. At the beginning, he would remind me not to even think about escaping but I'd gotten the memo by now and entered and shut the door. I had, in fact, tried to escape but the window in the bathroom was way too small for me to fit through.

I used the toilet and hurriedly washed my face and underarms. Bolik was uncomfortable having me out of chains for too long so my bathroom visits were short and far between.

I was just wondering if I had enough time to brush my teeth when he banged the door. Time up.

I came out of the bathroom and he led me back to my room. I sat on the bed and he got the chains.

"Are those really still necessary, Bolik?" I asked, trying to make my voice as sweet as possible.

"I wish I didn't have to use them but I can't risk you trying to execute any wild ideas."

I widened my eyes, the picture of innocence, "Wild ideas? Where would I get them from? I like your plan. Besides, if I ran, where would I run to? Leave the chains off, Bolik, my ankles are sore. Please."

He looked at me for a while before sighing and dropping the chains.

"Fine. I'll leave the chains off. But I'm warning you Anaya, don't try anything stupid. You won't like the results."

I smiled and batted my eyelashes, "Thank you."

Immediately he left the room, I flew off my bed and went to my bookcase. I started moving books around until I found the object I was searching for. I had stolen the small pocket knife on one of our raids. I'd hidden it because if any of the others had seen it, it would have been confiscated. What did a girl like me want to do with a knife?

I tucked it into the back of my pants now. The thing would be almost useless against a brute like Bolik but it was all I had.

I took a book from the shelf and got back into bed. Now it was just a game of waiting for the right moment.

I flipped through the pages, not really seeing the words. I listened for sounds in the cabin. That's what I had spent the last few days doing. Trying to track Bolik's movements by listening for little creaks here and there.

He seemed to spend a lot of time sleeping, or just sitting in one spot because there were always long stretches when the cabin was dead silent.

I listened to him now in the kitchen. There was a lot of clanging of metal and I wondered if he was cooking. I quickly dismissed that thought, I hadn't had a hot meal since I got here. He was probably looking for more beer.

I was still flipping through the book when my door opened and Bolik stuck his head in. I jumped a bit. After breakfast, he usually left me alone.

"Do you have a phone charger?" he asked me and I shook my head.

He grunted and shut the door. What did he need a phone charger for? I'd never seen him with a phone before. Rogues only used phones in extreme emergencies.

When everywhere became silent, I knew it was time to make my move. I crept to my door and tried the handle. I was locked in. Luckily, I had a spare key. It took more time than I had expected to find the key.

When I finally stuck it in the lock and turned, my heart was pounding in my chest. There were so many ways this could go wrong. I pulled the door open gently, grateful now more than ever for Tim always oiling my hinges. The living room was clear as far as I could see. I pulled the door open completely and stepped out.

My heart was in my mouth at this point. I crept as silently as I could towards the door. Just when I thought I had made it, hands grabbed me from behind and I screamed.

"I told you not to try anything stupid, Anaya," Bolik said into my ear.

I pulled out my knife and stabbed him in the thigh. It wasn't that deep but it surprised him enough for me to be able to extract myself from him grip and run. I made it outside but I knew Bolik was right behind me.

I started running in the direction of Alex's pack when a bunch of wolves emerged from the forest.

I stepped back momentarily until I recognised Tim's wolf. They had come for me! I went to launch myself at them but I had wasted too much time, Bolik had caught up to me.

He grabbed me and held me to his front, using me as a shield against the other wolves.

He held a blade to my throat, "I told you you wouldn't like the results. Why have you done this, Anaya?"

He took the blade away from my throat and sliced my thigh with it. It was silver! I immediately felt the poison spreading in my blood.

"Why?!!!" he screamed in my ear.

The wolves in front of us had shifted now.

It was a standoff.

And I was in the middle.