Chapter 28 - Truth

Chapter 28

"It was your grandpa," Caleb said. After a week of digging, Caleb finally found out Colton's grandpa's dirty little secrets. Colton had asked Caleb for his help because he did not know who to trust anymore. And Caleb has been there for him every step of the way after Anna left him.

"What?" Colton raised his eyes to Caleb's as he gently pushed the paper away on his desk.

"I managed to get some words out from your grandpa's chauffeur. He said your grandpa went to find Anna once. He also heard Olivia telling your grandpa that Anna doesn't really love you. And that she has seen it herself that Anna loves fooling around with other guys too. After Anna left you, Olivia showed your grandpa the photos of Anna and Augustus entering a hotel, proving her theory,"

This bitch. So it was all her. Colton suddenly felt stupid. This woman has been playing games with them. Bloody fool he was.

Colton clenched his jaw tightly, trying to calm his temper. He slowly stood up and walked to the window glass behind him and focused on the city lights below him. If only he could kill someone, she would be so dead right now.

"Your grandpa offered money to Anna to leave you. But she refused. After that, your grandpa bought over the company Anna's father was working in and got him fired. Her father could not claim the insurance for his medical fees because of that,"

The room was thick with silence as Caleb continued. "One more thing..." Caleb wasn't sure if he should say this because one can only take in so much information.

Colton nodded and motioned Caleb to continue the rest.

"This didn't only happen to Anna. Your grandpa did this to your father once too. That's why your mom left. She cut all ties with your grandpa and ran away with your father,"

Colton's nostrils flared as he stared at Caleb, face contorted with rage. He clenched his fists so hard that his nails cut into his skin. He slammed his fist down onto the desk so hard the the glass of coffee jumped and almost dropped to the ground. His grandpa was the cause of it all too. No wonder his dad was always so cautious of their surroundings, as if scared of getting caught. This old man never let his old man rest in peace even for a day. His dad did not deserve this. Anna too.

"I know you're angry right now Colton but think about Anna," Caleb explained.

Colton aggressively rubbed his face with one hand before he continued.

"I hurt her. I was so selfish and stupid! I said so many things that hurt her and now I've probably lost the best thing that's ever happened to me. I fucked it all up,"

"I'm sure she'll forgive you. She loves you," Caleb finally said.

"I doubt she still does now. I hurt her. She thought I took her out on a date just to get back at her. I thought she betrayed me and slept with Augustus for money! Because I couldn't allow myself to trust her!"

He hated himself for that. He couldn't forgive himself for what he had said and done. He couldn't forgive himself for thinking that she would ever sleep with someone for money. He was no different from his grandpa. He too, assumed the worst in her.

His heart keeps telling him to find Anna and apologise, beg for her forgiveness if he has to, until she gives in. But his mind tells him that would be too selfish of him. Anna has done so much for him and he hurt her. How could she possibly forgive him?

"Maybe you should give her some time too. After everything that's happened in Milan, she probably needs some time to think about it too," Caleb suggested.