Chapter 30 - Augustus

Chapter 30

Two lines. Positive.

Anna had been staring at the two pregnancy kits laying on the bathroom sink for half an hour now. When she took the second test, a small part of her kind of hoped the second test would turn out negative because she thought it was too fast.

Her mind went blank for a moment. She tried to think of ways to break this news to Colton. They had just gotten together.

What if he's not happy about it? What if he does not want the baby?

Anxiety started to strangle her lungs at the thought of Colton refusing this little human being living inside of her now. A great sob escaped her, and she covered her face with shaking hands. What is wrong with me? Her emotions were all over the place. She was a little excited yet terrified. She's been experiencing episodes of joviality and moments of sadness for the past few days.

Recently, she got angry over the pettiest problem with Colton. She told Colton that she did not want onions in their pizza, but he had forgotten about it. She started bawling her eyes out in front of Colton. To say that he was shocked was an understatement. He had never seen Anna throwing tantrums like that before, not even when she was a child.

He reordered a new pizza, without onions, but she was not satisfied. Anna felt like her night was ruined because of that. And so, he cuddled with her in bed for hours, whispering sweet nothings in her ear till sleep overcame her.

What if he hates me already because of that, she mused when she remembered Colton scratching his head in confusion as he called the pizza man.

She threw the pregnancy kits into the bin next to her. While she was washing her face, the doorbell rang.

"Hang on," she shouted, as if the other person across the door could hear.

Rushing to the door, she pulled it open and was engulfed in a hug.

"Augustus!" Anna exclaimed.

"You haven't called me back. I was worried," Augustus pulled away and stared at Anna, worried look on his face.

"Yeah. I...I've been busy lately,"

"Are you ok?" Augustus asked, realising Anna's eyes were swollen and red as if she had just cried.

"Yeah," she muttered tentatively, and then replied after a while. "Actually... No. I'm not ok."

Anna sat down on the couch while Augustus sat across her, waiting for her spill her guts.

Anna inhaled deeply, "I'm pregnant."

"Is it-" Augustus wanted to ask if it was Colton's but Anna nodded immediately.

"Congrats Anna," Augustus said softly but he hated this. He knew from the start, that Anna and Colton love each other. He heard a few things about them from Quinn.

He knew they belong together but he could not help falling in love with Anna. Who wouldn't? She was kind and selfless, yet strong and passionate about everything she does.

She had been there for him when he was going through shit. Augustus had made a promise to his parents that if his cafe business failed, he would return to them and help out his family business, like his parents always wanted him to. But he had always hated it. Being a barista used to be a hobby but it turned out to be something more for him. Something bigger.

When his cafe almost did not survive, Anna had given him a few ideas to attract the crowd. Creating 3D coffee art, providing classes for coffee lovers, making different desserts according to different seasons and many more. Anna had taught him to be more innovative if he wanted to attract the crowds. Keep up with the latest trends.

He managed to keep his cafe business going. He could not have done it alone, if not for Anna.

"Why did you cry? Are you not happy with it?" A look of concern furrowed his brow.

"I haven't told him yet. I'm scared-"

"There's nothing to be scared of. He loves you. He's gonna be really happy about it,"

"Really?" Anna beamed, "You think so?"

"Without a doubt. Anna, he's infatuated with you. You are his priority. Any man would want to build a family with the woman he loves. Of course he'll be happy," Augustus explained, hoping this would calm her down.

Anna let out a soft sigh, as if a heavy rock had finally been lifted off her shoulder.

"I'm happy for you," Augustus gave her a half-smile.

He had always wanted to confess his love for her when he felt like she was ready. It seemed like he was too late now. But he knew Anna only saw him as a friend so she would not accept it anyway. Maybe it was best to keep these feelings away from her now that she's pregnant. He did not want to stress her with his one-sided feelings.

The doorbell rang again before they could carry on with their conversation. She slowly walked to the door this time and opened it.

"I brought you your favourite tacos!" Colton held the paper bag up high, hoping to see Anna's excited face. His grin instantly disappeared when his eyes landed on the man who was sitting on the couch.

"What is he doing here?" He asked through gritted teeth. Although he knew that nothing happened between him and Anna, he still did not like this man. Colton saw the way he looked at Anna. This man loves her.

"He was just checking up on me," Anna explained nervously. How am I going to tell him?

Augustus stood up and made his way to the door.

"I see that you're fine. So I'll take my leave now," Augustus said to Anna and nodded at Colton. Colton nodded back, acknowledging his leave. Nope, he still hates him.

"Thank you Augustus," Anna waved and closed the door behind her.

Colton placed the paper bag on the kitchen counter and stole a few glances at Anna before proceeding to ask, "So?" He drawled.

"What?"

"Are you going to tell me what you and him were talking about?"

"Um... just things." Anna shrugged as she peeked into the paper bag.

"Things, huh?" Colton glowered at her suspiciously. What things? He felt like an angsty jealous teenager right now.

As soon as he took the food containers out from the paper bag, the smell of food suddenly made Anna retch. Colton glanced at her, his eyes tight and concerned. Anna rushed herself to the bathroom
again before Colton could ask anything.

Colton followed her to the bathroom. How long has she been this sick? He asked himself. He patted her back gently, pulling her hair up as she vomited her guts out.

"That's it. Anna, I'm taking you to the clinic now," Colton said firmly. He had wanted to take her to the clinic since the day she threw up in front of him but she refused, giving excuse that she was just tired.

He fished out his phone, already dialling his driver's number when he noticed the foreign kits that were being disposed in the bin at the corner of his eyes.

"Anna, what's that?" He asked, gawking at the kits that were still laying in the bin while Anna was already rinsing her mouth.

Oh shit.