The Wild

The five animals paused, blinking at the same time and their expressions became similar. The question Melman asked had blown their minds: where we're they?

Slowly, the group shuffled a full 180 degrees and lifted their heads upwards to the miles of the savory color green, flourishing behind them. All the palm trees extended towards the sky, their broad, energetic leaves crinkling slightly. The sky loomed over the new landscape in a close blinding blue, free of clouds. It was phenomenal, breathtaking.

"San Diego,"

Everyone else turned their attention to the giraffe.

"San Diego?" Gloria questioned him.

"White sandy beaches, cleverly simulated natural environment, wide-open enclosures," Melman declared, scanning their new surroundings exclusively. "I'm telling you, this could be the San Diego Zoo. Complete with fake rocks." He tapped the bottom of his hoof against a rock laid in the Sand, the smooth surface of his hoof clicking like music against the rough object and not at all like a decoy.

"Wow, that looks real." He proclaimed, surprised.

"You sure?" Ayana asked as she inspected the rock more closely. "Looks real."

"That's just the point, Ana," Melman pointed out. "It's to make something that is drastically fake, real!"

"San Diego?" Alex asked, ignoring the conversation of the leopard and the giraffe. He broke free from the group hug, the wilderness view with a look of complete sorrow. "What could be worse than San Diego?"

"I don't know," Marty remarked, a jovial grin overpowering the lion's scowl. He trotted forward and observed the glade of trees with a much more accepting expression. 

"This place is crack-a-lacking!" He exclaimed, using his messed up slang. "Oh, I could hang here. I could hang here."

As soon as he faced his friends, Alex had snapped.

"I’m gonna kill you, Marty!" He screeched, chasing after the running zebra.

"Take it easy! Take it easy!" Marty screamed back, darting through Melman's long legs, Alex right on his tail.

"- strangle you!"

"Calm down. Calm down."

"Then bury you, then dig you up and clone you and kill your clones." Alex declared openly as the two began circling Gloria in a squall of gold, black and white.

"20-second timeout. 20-second timeout."

"And then I'm never talking to you again."

Gloria had enough of the entire tantrum, hooking her hands under Alex's arms, hoisting him off the ground to end his rampage. Ayana immediately raced to Marty's side, to wait for Alex to calm down and the striped animal crouched behind the leopard's figure.

"Stop it!" They heard the female hippo screech.

"Now, look," Gloria announced through gritted teeth, jerking the male feline aggressively. "We're just going to find the people, get checked in, and have this mess straightened out." She heatedly threw Alex back on his feet, now watching as he was much calmer than earlier.

"Oh, great. This is just great. San Diego." Alex groaned. "Now I'll have to compete with Shamu and his smug little grin. I can't top that! Can't top it! I'm ruined!" The lion slumped on his knees as a weary person ready for bed, his legs half-buried in the sand, his brownish-gold mane shimmering in the bright sun. "I'm done. I'm out of the business. It's your fault, Marty!" He twisted back, pointing an accusing finger at his now ex-friend. "You've ruined me."