10.

My mother wants us to be a normal family, well as normal as we can get. When she and dad split it was like she lost herself. She barely talked to my brothers and me, only saying hi and bye. It basically tore us apart. My dad kept in contact but we didn't tell him anything knowing it wouldn't have helped.

   In all honesty, I didn't see it coming. They seemed happy. Now that I look at it, I don't think my mother noticed either. Maybe that's why it hit her the hardest. My dad? Well, it seemed like he was unaffected by it. I think it was because of Sonia. She was his best friend at first but I guess they were meant to be, as much as it pained me to say. Sometimes, I wish my parents stayed together, but that's all it really is. A wish.

   When mom met George. She began to recover. She started saying more than a hi to her kids and started smiling again. He seemed to fit her. Maybe a little better than my dad, but who can really say. The only thing is, she didn't return to the person she was before she divorced my dad. It was almost like she was trying to protect herself from getting hurt again. But I can take what I can get.

  We all sat at the table and my brothers served the food that they cooked. The first course was a garden salad with a side of poppy seed dressing. Everyone ate their greenery in silence. My mom sat at the edge of the table and George sat next to her. On the other side of the George was Grace, his daughter. On the other side of the table, Nolan was across from mom, to his side Noel. I was by Noel and Next to me was dad then Sonia. 

  Next on our menu was steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes with brown gravy. I was dying. The tension in the air was choking me. I don't know why my mother got so tense with my father in the room? I know the divorce was hard on her but she had George.

"So, dad, how was work?" Nolan asked.

"Oh you know, the same old same old," dad responded.

"Oh Marc, don't be so modest," Sonia started,"He's doing so well. This is the best quarter so far. I guess everyone loves Chef Marcus."

"Oh, not everyone," my mom blurted out. Everyone looked at her. Her eyes went wild and she covered her mouth.

"Woman, don't get started," my dad said.

"Really me. I have been nothing but tolerant of you bs," mother spat. I don't know what's going on but I think I was about to find out. 

"Oh really? You act like you didn't cheat on me," he retorted.

"You cheated on dad?" Noel asked, his voice barely heard.

"No he cheated on me," she confessed. 

"With Sonia?" Nolan asked.

"No, my best friend, Kylie," she croaked. I haven't seen Aunt Kylie since my parents divorce. I didn't think that would be the reason why.

"Dad?" I cried. He looked at my with sadness. My mom got up and went to her bedroom, George went after her.

"At least my dad wouldn't do that," Grace spoke up.

"No one cares about you thot," Nolan said.

  I walked up the to my mother's room and knocked on the door.

"Come in." George said.

"Can I talk to my mother?" I asked. He nodded, kissed my mother's forehead and left the room. I heard my mom sniff ant that broke my cold heart.

"Mom, why didn't you tell us?" 

"I didn't want you guys to look at him differently. I didn't know that he deeply hurt me. I know I hurt y'all too and I'm sorry. You know what was the funny thing is? He wanted the divorce. I wanted to work it out, but he left me for her. Then when that gold-digger left him he came back to me and secretly I let him. Then Sonia came along. I was a fool. I got a good guy now, but I'm still hung up on your father. Maybe I am still a fool. E, baby, I need to be by myself," I hugged my mom and went to my room.

  I laid on my bed processing what happen that past dinner. I was going to text Kai, but decided against it and went to sleep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that I updated late. Just school, chores, volunteer events, and I got grounded so. I hope you like this chapter. Sorry about no Kai but...oh whale.