16

Kristine's P.O.V.

As soon as I opened my eyes the next day, I dialed Dee's number. It was still off.

What the hell?

In the middle of the night, in between, I would wake up and try her phone, it was the same. This morning I was hoping it would be on and she would answer me.

I didn't get much sleep even though I knew she was okay and I had this urge of feeling that I needed to speak with her, it was eating me inside.

As I approached the basement parking of our office, I couldn't be happier seeing Deena's car.

She's here!

I parked quickly and went up the elevator.

I greeted back those who greeted me as soon as I reached our department, I went straight to Deena's office and didn't bother knocking, but she was not there.

"Where is Deena?" I yelled to both our teams.

Everybody seemed surprised when they heard my voice and even stopped what they were doing.

"Where is Deena?" I repeated in a louder voice.

"She went up to Mr. Riva's office." It was Thea who answered me.

I didn't bother putting down my stuff in my office and went back to the elevator. I pressed Mr. Riva's office and waited.

"Where is Deena?" I asked his secretary as soon as I stepped out of the elevator.

"She's with Mr. Riva. Do you have an appointment?" She asked.

"No, Leslie, I don't have. But can I go inside?" I said, Irritation can be heard in my voice.

"I'm sorry, Kristine. It's a closed-door meeting. They seemed to be engaged seriously. Please have a seat here." She gestured for me to sit on the couch beside her station.

Even if I didn't want to, I had no choice but to oblige.

I waited I think 10 to 15 minutes before I heard Mr. Riva's door open. 

My eyes automatically searched for Deena's who was obviously shocked to see me.

"Oh, Kristine, I didn't know I was meeting you this morning." He looked at his secretary.

"No, Mr. Riva, I'm waiting for Deena."

"Oh, okay. Deena, even for a short time, you'll be missed." He closed the door.

"What did he say?" My eyes fixated on Deena who by the way couldn't meet my eyes.

She pressed the elevator button before answering me.

"I filed for a leave." She said like it was nothing.

"What?" I grabbed her arm a bit harshly. "When? Why?" 

When the elevator door opened, she walked inside taking her arm back. I followed her and stood in front of her.

"Why would you take a leave? And why it was so sudden? You didn't even talk to me about it!" 

I was getting mad as I could see from Deena's face that she was so uninterested, like what she did was so normal, and didn't care for my reaction.

Am I overreacting about this? Yes, maybe. But this is honestly absurd and out of the ordinary. It's like she was acting out over something and I just want her to talk to me about it. Was that too much?

"Can you just answer me, Deena? What is happening? And for how long will you be gone?"

Before she could speak, the elevator opened. We both got out and headed to our office. I followed her to hers.