13.

what an underrated bop 

Don't forget to read the note and check out the inline comment at the end of the chapter to find out how to read the completed unedited version of WUAD for free!

CHAPTER - THIRTEEN

"You have a habit of talking to yourself, don't you?"

Cherry approaches me while I sit on the couch, scrolling through Pinterest on my phone. Her silky blonde hair - which I was very jealous of - is tied up into a messy bun. And unlike me in a messy bun, she actually looks pretty.

Today was a Sunday, and I hoped I'd have a peaceful day before my father announced that Cherry was coming over to spend the day. After a quiet and awkward lunch together, dad had retreated to his study for a sudden meeting, and Cherry had flitted around the house before deciding to approach me.

She sits in front of me, crossing her legs.

"What makes you think that?" I cock a brow.

She grins, "I always hear you talking loudly in your room. And obviously, since no one else is there, you must be talking to yourself right?" She tries to make herself look innocent. Like a sweet little angel. But I can see through it. The little tick in her eyebrow, the tightness in her smile that she tries to hide, the flex in her neck muscles - all of it give her away.

"I don't have a habit of talking to myself, Cherry." I pause. "And if the noises from my room are bothering you, you are more than welcome to stop your visits here." I smile, mirroring her innocent aura. She presses her lips together, annoyed at my response but not wanting to call me out on it. Little does she know, she can call me out, be rude and do whatever, and my father would still take her side because he had little to no regard for me. 

But I wasn't going to let her know that.

"Well, I'm just concerned." She starts. I scoff. She pretends not to notice. "Fredrick mentioned that you had...um...issues when you were a child." Oh she did not. She tilts her head to show that she had gained the upper hand in the conversation by rendering me speechless. But I didn't care, my issues in my childhood were something I'd left in the past. I'd moved on from it a long time ago. 

There was no way I was going to let this blonde hobgoblin try to bring me down with it.

"I'm touched by your concern for me, Cherry. It's not a secret but I usually avoid talking about it with people that won't stick around for long." My smile is tight. She tries to force a smile but fails.

"Just wanted to make sure you were fine, Faye." She says, hands clasped together.

"I am. Now, I think my dad is done with his meeting so, you can excuse yourself." I tell her. She nods with a tight smile and gets up, walking away without a backward glance. I go back to scrolling on my phone.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I try to avoid the annoying feeling that comes with knowing that my dad shared such personal details with that goblin witch. Jesus, how entranced with her was he? I mean, he'd barely dated since mom and then he hooks up with his pixie tramp and tells her everything so soon? I didn't understand my father.