Chapter Ten - Cahress

Physical pain radiates up my thighs as I fight the urge to dart up the stairs, the little mama's feet skidding on pebbles making me want to go to her. As pebbles skitter down the steps, I glance over my shoulder and see Duri righting herself with the help of her partner. I turn and step closer to the ledge, about to lean around the corner and check the area, but a squeak freezes me in place. I battle against the urge to sprint back the way I came and scoop my little mama into my arms.

No, not mine.

Yet. Not mine yet.

Her admission changes everything. It explains why I can't stop thinking about her. Why I want her. Why my soul yearns to merge with hers.

She's my lifemate, unmarked and ripe for my claiming. Fate built us for each other: we're meant to be together.

But the revelation makes our situation more dire. I can't claim her until we're somewhere safe.

Her gut-wrenching sob lifts my boot from the stone floor and propels me back into the cave. Small figures block my path as the omegas gather around my little mama. Thret's glare stomps closer as he prepares to haul me away, but I step to the side and put the group between us. It won't stop him should he decide I need intervention, but it'll give me an extra half a second to react.

Voices talk over one another, their worried tones turning frantic.

"Duri! What's—"

"Is that—"

"Oh no."

"Her waters broke!"

I grab slim shoulders and lift the nearest omega out of my way, setting her down as gently as I can with urgency pulsing through my body.

The moment my hands rest on the next impeding female, the overall emotion within the cave flips. Every female backs away as quickly as she can, the one in front of me bumping against my hip in her haste to retreat.

Alarm yanks me into action. I push the omega to the side and lunge forward only to stand toe to toe with an angry alpha.

A tense moment passes, time standing still as I prepare to battle Thret. No one moves as silence settles over us.

Duri's muffled sob lifts the fur on my nape, but before I slam my knife into Thret's stomach, Henna speaks.

"Her waters didn't break, but she smells like alpha. The scent is too strong—I'm sorry, I can't—"

Her choked gag accompanies the sound of shuffling feet as the omegas instinctually move further away. The terrible knot in my chest loosens as I realize she isn't in immediate mortal danger, but the news brings confusion as well.

I look over Thret's shoulder but can't see her tiny frame since she's sitting. My teammate mirrors my movement, blocking my view again.

"She needs help, damnit."

My snarl bounces off the rock walls, making the females flinch and the boy cower behind his mother, but Thret doesn't so much as blink.

"She does, but not from you."

The harsh reminder of our predicament both infuriates and calms me. I take a deep breath, resentful of the scentless air brought to me by my suit, and slide my knife back into its holster.

Just because I must keep my physical distance from her doesn't mean I can't help her.

"Little mama, are you hurt?"

She sniffles, bites back a sob, then sniffs again before speaking in a shaky voice full of turmoil.

"No, I'm not hurt."