Chapter Nine - Duri

Why is gravity so cruel? I try to rise onto my knees again but end up lowering myself back onto my butt.

"Here, let me help."

I offer Henna a tight smile and shake my head, which only makes it spin faster.

"No, give me another minute. I'm just not ready yet."

Her strained smile must match my own, because several other omegas turn toward us with concerned expressions. Most are already on their feet, rolling their shoulders and preparing their bodies for the trek with gentle stretches.

Feeling the unease of the others grow as the seconds stretch by and I don't rise, I relax my shoulders and close my eyes, searching deep within my body for hidden stores of energy.

There aren't any. I know this within the very recesses of my soul, but I find my motivation in the soft jabs my baby gives my ribs.

She's healthy. Strong. Growing with every breath I take.

I can't let my weakness be the reason she doesn't get to experience life. Using the nausea as a distraction from the gnawing hunger in my very bones, I give the bottle of pills a squeeze but refuse to look at them.

There are only four left. If I take another now, then what happens if we can't find food? What if it takes more than today and tomorrow to make it to Cahress' base camp?

What if, when we get there, they don't have the technology or resources to make more pills for me?

The thought nearly saps what little control I have away, leaving me eyeing the ground by my hip, wondering if lying down would be better than slumping and hitting my head on the hard stone.

A surprisingly harsh thump on my bladder knocks me out of my semi-panic attack.

I can't focus on the what ifs. All I can do is plan for the next few minutes and live in the now. Firming my spine and caressing my belly, I decide to take another capsule now, but will leave one pill in the container no matter what, so that when we reach safety, they'll have something to duplicate. It's the best I can do since Seung—

I stop my thoughts and open the pill bottle, cramming one capsule in my mouth and taking a swig of water before shoving the container into my pocket and hooking the water hose onto its holder. Even though the nutrition packed into them is more geared toward prenatal requirements than energy supplements, the action fills me with purpose.

I will keep my daughter alive, no matter what it takes.

Henna's tight smile broadens further as I take her offered hand and let her help me to my feet. My nausea grows, but I breathe through my nose and swallow the excess saliva before turning to face the three alphas standing near the back of the cave.

Pale blue eyes steal my attention, the abject misery and extreme self-hatred shining from them sending my heart into my throat. The clenching of my abdominals makes my nausea worse, but I refuse to waste the contents of my stomach.

My feet move forward of their own accord, a thread buried deep within my chest pulling me toward the massive male standing a few feet away.

I need to help him. No one should look so torn and sad, especially not the male who seemed so self-assured and strong mere moments ago.

All expression leaks from his eyes, leaving a cold and remote ghost of himself behind.

"What happened? What's wrong?"

He doesn't move other than to shift his focus to the male beside him.

His disinterest hurts more than I can describe. A chill settles in my bones as I sense the depth of his denial—the link in my chest turns brittle with his icy refusal.