Chapter 12- Life or Death

Simon had been ready to die. He greeted death with open arms, until he realized he would be leaving Marceline again, but this time for good. He had promised her he would be there for her. Now the crown was right next to him. It offered him both life and death in one fell swoop. He would live to be with Marceline, but he would die when the Ice King returned to take his place.

     I don't know what to do... Any way I pick I somehow lose. But dying seems so much easier and I would finally be with.. with my Betty...

     Simon asked Marceline to leave, because he had decided. He was choosing to die. When she was gone, he was ready. Slowly he began to slip, and finally he fell. The darkness was welcoming, bringing him to peace. However, in the haze of it all he could hear fighting. Marceline... crying? Simon felt like he couldn't breathe. He could hear someone shouting.

     "....SIMON PETRIKOV!..."

     Simon felt pressure on his chest. He could hear Marceline shouting, saying he was dead. Saying how important he was to her. Now he felt a larger pressure on his heart, pain exploding everywhere. Next thing he knows, he's awake, his breathing erratic.

     She... she needs me! Marceline- She needs me!

     Simon looks around but he can't see much of anything. The fire is out, the cave pitchblack.

     I can't leave her! What was I thinking?! I promised her I would be there for her! I made a promise to keep her safe!

     Simon's hand grasps something cold. He begins to hear the whispers, faint, but they were there. He let go, fear coursing through him. The crown wanted Simon to live, so it could be with him again. It wanted to take over again. Simon grabbed it, holding it to his chest.

     Please... Simon whispered to the crown I have been under your control for so long. You became a part of me and you did what you had to, to survive... Now I ask for something from you. My last request, you could say....

     The whispers became silent, as if waiting.

     Marceline is the only reason I hold onto you now. She gave me a choice and... I had chosen death...

     The whispers sounded outraged, their pitch rising.

     I know that I made the wrong choice but now I've decided to make the right one. Seem like I just can't seem to die... I need you to help me.

     The whispers murmured silently for a while.

     I want to save Marceline, to send her father back from whence he came, and to end Peppermint Butlers rampage through the Land of Ooo... but I can't do that if you take over again...

     The whispers sounded confused, waiting for Simon to finish.

     All I want is the power to save Marceline, and my own free will. Only until she's safe again. After that... well... After that you can have me.

     The whispers muddled in and out of focus from his mind. Slowly put surley they grew silent. Simon wasn't sure if the crown would overrun his mind like before, but it was his only chance of saving Marceline. Placing it on his head, Simon waited.

     Power immedietly ran through his veins, the ice healing his wounds. It hurt more than anything he had felt before. His body shook violently as he struggled to hold his screams. After what seemed like forever, Simon could stand. He could feel his body healed, his mind clear, and a flame lit in his heart. He knew what had to be done. Slowly he rose, and walked out of the cave, stars filling the night sky. Creatures from the Nightosphere took one look at Simon. They could see his power, feel the Ice flowing through him. His steps froze the ground solid, the temperature dropping further down every passing second. Slowly they backed away to where Peppermint Butler and Hunson were, staring in utter shock. Finn and Jake turned to see Simon as well, jaws dropping. The only person left was Marceline. Slowly she turned as well, tears in her eyes. Simon smiled, understanding how much of a shock this must be to her.

     "I made a promise." Simon whispered. "And I intend to keep it."