CH 23: WHAT HAPPENS IN FRANCE

We made it to the hotel with some help from the musicians, who took off a hefty sum from Aiden's wallet, but he didn't seem to mind

We made it to the hotel with some help from the musicians, who took off a hefty sum from Aiden's wallet, but he didn't seem to mind. We didn't let go of each other's hand the whole ride, nor in the lobby and neither in the elevator ride up. When we reached my floor, the elevator doors opened and I stepped out rather unwillingly.

"Goodnight, Thea," Aiden said, making me turn around. His hand was still loosely in mine, and before I could stop myself, I stepped forward to bring his lips to mine one last time, to confirm that this was in fact, true, real and not a part of my imagination. Any surprise he faced was masked quickly by the softness of his lips and the way his hands touched my face. God, I could freeze this moment and live in it forever.

Reluctantly, I let him go, watching the doors close and separating us, memorizing the adoring expression on his face. God, how could I have not seen this coming? I needed to digest this news, needed to let my mind comprehend the full weight of my thoughts and not being drunk would be the ideal time to do it. For now, I had simpler, no-thinking-required tasks in front of me, which I was quick to get to as soon as I entered my room. Taking the dress off with a large range of acrobatic moves, I slipped into the bathrobe provided to me and wiping all the makeup of the day off. Even if it wasn't much, just concealing and hiding some parts, I still wanted my skin to breathe as I fell asleep. My forty-year-old self would thank me for this.

Face cleaned and ready for sleeping, I dug out a nightdress from my suitcase, slipping under the cold sheets. My tired and aching legs welcomed the feeling, and my exhaustion was fighting a losing battle with my overactive mind replaying the scene in my head over and over again. It was nothing short of magical and beautiful and all things wonderful under the sun, and as far as first kisses went, this probably topped my very small list. Most of all, it was romantic, not something I'd expected from Aiden in a million years, and suddenly there was hope blooming in me. Hope that someday –

The buzzer in my room sounded, and I didn't have to think twice to guess who it might be. Straightening my dress, I opened the door to find Aiden standing there in a white tee-shirt and grey joggers, hands thrust in his pocket. I didn't even have to ask why he was here, but I pulled him in the room, slipping under the covers again. The bed dipped beside me, and his arms reached over to pull me closed to him. We didn't speak, we didn't need to. I pressed my lips to his throat before settling in his arms comfortably, feeling the rhythm of his breathing calming me down.

There were so many things we needed to talk about, but all of it would wait. Tomorrow morning, we could talk about every little question in my head. Tonight, it was just us, and I was okay with that.

For several minutes I simply lay there, breathing in his scent and trying to relax, but his fingers moved over my dress and on my bare arms, leaving a trail of goosebumps everywhere he went, brushing my hair softly. My eyes fluttered close on their own accord, revelling in this feeling. I sighed as his hands rested over my shoulder finally, rubbing small circles with the pad of his thumb.