RETURN

TIME SKIP -- ONE MONTH

"Can I call you Joon now?" I whispered. "I'm sorry I let you down." 

KIM NAMJOON

Sept 12. 1994 - June 6. 2021

My hands grazed over the engraved words on the stone.

Namjoon passed away after using up too much power to save my memories. It was a difficult task that he wasn't capable of doing.

We were sitting on the top of a grassy hill where Joon was buried. The sky was blue and a single, thin cloud rested above us. Tall willow trees surrounded us.

I watched you eye the stone with a suspicious face. "That's odd," you said quietly from behind me. I brushed it off and continued to talk to Joon for a couple of minutes, thanking him for what he's done. 

You sat silently as I talked. Why weren't you saying anything?

A snicker came from behind me. I turned around.

You were trying to hold your laugh by pressing your lips together, but your eyes still held wrinkles on the sides. Your hands eventually had to press against your pursed mouth to stop the giggles.

As much as I loved you, I was still baffled. How could you laugh at something like this? 

After accidentally making eye contact with me, you burst out laughing. You tumbled onto your back and rolled around, clutching your stomach because you couldn't stop roaring out chuckles.

"Wha- are you okay?" I said panicking. You looked a little crazy.

"Look at his face," you wheezed out, pointing to me.

Why were you talking in third person, not second?

"Read the engravings one more time, Jimin," you told me

I turned around, still questioning her random behaviour. She was just sad about this 5 minutes ago.

My eyes made their way back to the stone.

Kim Namjoon

Sept 12. 1994 - June 6. 2021

More writing was below. A quote...

"Nobody dies"

I just thought that it was there because he worked in the afterlife. 

I connected the dots as you waited patiently, still hiccuping a chortle once in a while.

Namjoon...

Afterlife...

Can't die...?

"OF COURSE" I yelled. "I SINCERELY HATE THIS KID."

I stood up in front of the stone and looked around. I peered up at the bushy trees and looked for it. The sunlight made me uncomfortably squint my eyes when it grazed over my eyes.

A low voice rumbled near the thick trunk of one of the trees, "Peekaboo."

I snapped my head in the direction. Namjoon stood, peering out from behind the wood.

"It took you long enough to believe in me," he said, floating over.

He was a ghost.

END