Four Suits (Book 1)

By Mistyped_

(A Reverse Harem) Leda Jenson is a lot of things. A great decision-maker is not one of them. Stupidly drunk o... More

Book 1: Four Suits
Prologue: Russian Roulette
Day 52-1: Deck Tower
Day 52-2: Go Fish
Day 52-3: House of Cards
Day 52-4: Gripe
Day 51-1: Slapjack
Day 51-2: Speed
Day 50: Signal
Day 49: BS
Day 48: Deal
Day 47: Gamble
Day 46: Torture
Day 45: Stealing Bundles
Day 44-1: Concentration
Day 44-2: Uno
Day 43: Hearts
Day 42-1: Bluff
Day 42-2: Patience
Day 42-3: Palace
Day 42-4: My Ship Sails
Day 41-1: Old Maid
Day 41-2: Coronation
Day 41-3: Trump
Day 40-1: Spoons
Day 40-2: Monopoly
Day 40-3: Solitaire
Day 40-4: Cops and Robbers
Day 39-1: Trapped
Day 39-2: Blackjack
Day 39-3: Rummy
Day 39-4: Vow
Day 39-5: Cards Against Humanity
Day 39-6: Euchre
Day 39-7: Frost
Day 39-8: Greed
Day 39-9: Horrors
Avelious: Descent to Madness
Day 39-10: Pawn
Day 38-1: Bet
Day 38-2: Conditions
Day 38-3: Hotheaded
Day 34: King
Day 32-1: Double-Up
Day 32-2: Duty
The Sequel Is Out!

Day 35: Spades

445 27 9
By Mistyped_

DAY 35: SPADES

   Despite retaining its breathtaking nature, the city of Depree remains a barren land. No crops or fruit, animals curled and dying in widespread areas. Even the massive line of Spades attempting to enter the capital stretching behind the citadel gates has grown tenfold, each citizen barely managing to stand by themselves. This time, it's the same for the guards, who, by will alone, remain firm statues by the gates.

   Each Spade withholds gasps when Avel hops off of Grimm alongside the quacks from their respective modes of transportation. He doesn't put on any affected airs and briskly strides by Orian and Leda's sides. None of the onlookers put up a fight, or rather, can't—not with the Third Prince accompanying them into Depree.

   Surprisingly, neither Ro nor Avel argue during the journey toward the Edaps palace. The guards who follow them aim their spears at Avel's head as they stroll through, but none are stupid enough to attack. And Avel accepts all the glares and animosity with a happy-go-lucky smile.

   When they finally arrive, nerves heightened to the extreme, learning of the King's well-being is like a breath of fresh air. Apparently the Heart who had spread the news had caught wind of the plague raging through Edaps made up the rumour that the King had passed. Nonetheless, Avel, with a single wave of his staff and the help of the healthy enough citizens around Edaps alongside the Heart quacks, distributing the antidotes is an easy task. It travels from coast to coast in the timespan of fifteen hours, and by the time three days roll around, Edaps is reborn.

   Not only the kids, but the vegetation and animals. Everything that had once been stained with this disease is entirely altered, as if it never existed to begin with. Leda can't be more glad that Ro is able to reconnect with his family, and Orian who receives suffocating attention from the doctors is now back in top shape.

   Edaps transforms into the kingdom it once was—full of lively vigour and energy. Everyone is family. Their care for one another is sweet and smothering, unlike the icy haven of Straeh.

Strolling through the city square on her own, three days later, Leda comes to realize that for the umpteenth time.

   "Hey, human!" Leda shifts on her toes and almost fumbles when an old man thrusts a basket of fruits to her. "You were with His Highness Ronan III, weren't you? Take some of these with you to the palace for me. They were just freshly picked and he's always enjoyed these the most."

   Leda returns his wide smile and gathers the load into her arms. "Oh, thank you," she tells him.

   "Take some of these as well." This time it's a lady, and she's tossing blankets on top of the basket before Leda can come to terms with it. "The King needs to rest and what says relax better than these freshly woven comforters?"

   "Oh, if you're delivering to the palace, take these to the First Prince for me!"

   A crowd forms around her in an instant, giddy children and adults badgering her with supplies.

   "Tell the Second Prince it's from Rana in central square!"

   "Queen Sophia loves these so be sure she accepts them!"

   "Miss, give Prince Ronan III our thanks!" Two siblings, Naka and Nara flash Leda a toothy grin as they hand her a toy. "We didn't have to say goodbye after all!"

   The crowd doesn't look like it'll be fiddling out anytime soon, but not only them, other citizens from behind her bustle with infinite excitement.

   "Edaps is alive again!" one whoops. "Our kingdom has been restored!"

   Leda chuckles at all the unwarranted vivacity, and slips away. Singing, dancing; others are rebuilding and offering resources to every Spade that passes. The joy within their amber eyes expand with every passing moment. You wouldn't have believed this was a kingdom on its deathbed just days prior.

   Ro wanted to preserve this... Leda's heart can't help but squeeze as she stutters around for proper balance. And they have. They weren't too late after all.

   The sun has just about set; another day soon arriving. She strings herself through the crowd and out toward the front gates the best she can, doing her best not to fall over her feet with the pile of items blocking her view. But that's just wishful thinking because her foot connects with a pebble in her path and she flings forward.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise when everything that was once in her arms floats before her eyes.

She can feel every tense muscle in her body pool with relief as she breathes. "Goodness, I don't think I'll ever get used to this. It's extremely useful."

Avel emits a hearty laugh as he assists her back up, squeezing her hand as he also settles the other belongings onto the grass surrounding them. "You're always falling, my dear. Shall I hold onto you more closely from now on?"

"Considering how often this has been happening, I may take you up on that," she replies.

Heaving, she retreats, glazing over the supplies he has outstretched on the grass—the tarp meant for sleeping included. Grimm is off to the right, beak ruffling into its feathers while it stays tied up against the nearest gate. Zaire's yellow eyes also narrow into slits at Leda from where she is beneath the tarp.

   A perfect make-shift bedroom for a once lavish prince. How ironic.

"Ooh, fruit! Thank you!" Avel has taken a seat on the blankets first, scavenging through the basket with one hand as he scarfs down the fruit with the other.

"Wait, those are supposed to be for Ro," Leda interjects.

Avel's mouth parts for a split moment. He spares another glance at the basket then stuffs another handful into his mouth.

"Now they're finished," he muffles through full mouth and swollen cheeks. "Serves that Spade right."

Leda collapses beside him, unable to hide a meek smile. Their dislike for one another is definitely humourous.

"Did you return from somewhere?" Leda reaches for the complementary booze in the basket. She pours it into a glass and offers one for Avel to receive before connecting her lips to the actual bottle and downing a good amount. She lets out a loud laugh, "Agh, your guys' drinks are way better than back home! I can never get enough!"

Swallowing the last of what resemble blueberries themselves, Avel gratefully sips from his glass. "I just finished explaining the antidote to the Reca and Utae doctors before getting stormed out." A grin stretches into his cheeks. "I surprise myself sometimes. It worked so swiftly."

"It's all so amazing," Leda agrees. Her grin reaches her eyes. "You helped so much, Avel. Thank you."

His eyebrows ascend on his forehead. Leda scans the endless plains that lie ahead. The line once filled with Spades begging to be let into Depree is now nonexistent, all of them currently enjoying themselves with the festivities within the capital.

After a good while of hearing the unique songs from instruments identical to flutes and tambourines, the warmth in Leda's heart grows. She gulps more booze. "Are you spending the night out here again? The other quacks have already returned to Straeh. You should at least come to the palace."

"And be around that idiot Spade and his brothers? Not a chance." Avel crosses an arm behind his head and leans against the cobblestone wall. "Besides, it's warmer in this kingdom than in Straeh. I can survive a night or two out here, until everyone's completely cured and I'm chased out of here."

Leda frowns. And only recalling the moment of their arrival, and all the nasty glares and insults barrelled his way. "Still... you saved them," she sulks. "You shouldn't be shunned like this just because you're a Heart."

Avel cranes his neck.

"Leda," he says, eyelids high and awestruck. "You're so cute. Marry me."

Tingles shoot up her spine. She nearly drops the bottle. Ignoring the warmth flooding her cheeks—from either intoxication or a hidden blush she's unsure—she enunciates, "Listen, I only said I'd marry you if—"

"—I saved that Spade." Avel appropriately faces her, taking her hand. "I saved all of Edaps too. I really did my best. For you. For us."

Leda carefully meets his earnest stare, boring directly into her own.

"But you also lied to me."

Accordingly, his lower lip slips forward. "I... thought you would leave me if I didn't give you a reason not to."

Watching as this murderous prince who once gave her a scare now pout like a guilty pup, Leda sighs. "I'm not marrying you, Avel."

His head jerks up in a heartbeat. "But—"

"I came to Straeh to help Edaps and Ro, sure, but there's also something else I have to do."

Avel pauses, really considering her words. His features fall to discontent once again. "Does this have to do with the whole fifty second day?"

Leda blinks. "Did Orian already tell you?"

He nods to answer. Leda brightens. He must've handed him the letter, too.

"Still," Avel presses, his grip tightening on her hand. "I may have lied about my intentions, and I did say I'd give you the option to say yes or no once this day came, but even still, I don't want to let you go."

"Are humans that interesting to you?"

"Very. Annadians and Humans have a long history with one another, but considering how they don't last very long in Annadia, really getting to see one is extremely rare. And since they are rare, I've always wanted to meet one and study what makes them different from the four suits."

"But," Leda says, "we don't necessarily need to get married for you to study me."

The sparkle that once filled his eye diminishes into a dumbfounded look. "Oh, you're right."

Her mouth falls in disbelief but Avel shakes his head with a huge smile.

"No matter," he says. "I don't mind. You're adorable."

She's seen that look in his eye before. This oddly awed look. He had it back when he'd brought her those man-eating plants. Called them 'adorable' as well. Leda swallows hard.

"'Adorable'... as in, a pet kind of way?" she asks.

Avel tilts his head and places a hand to his chin. "I don't necessarily know what a 'pet' is, but I would definitely swap you out for Zaire."

She ganders in the direction of the hissing serpent before immediately returning it to a goofy-smiled Avel. Even if he is weirdly sweet and flirtatious at times, she can't forget he's Heart through and through.

   Well, she should be glad to have made it to familiar ranking at least.

"I thought your people didn't like hybrids," Leda brings up. "As a human, I'm less than that. Yet you still want to marry me?"

   "I mean, hybrids of the different suits are not widely accepted in Annadia. Mother hated hybrids because they're usually weak and can't gain proper control of their magic. The other three suits have similar beliefs. But, I don't care about that kind of stuff. It's because you're a human I want to make you mine. And, because I love—"

"Here's where you are, Leda. You can return to the palace for the night."

   Avel and Leda swivel towards the source of the distraction. Avel's eyelids taper into a heinous scowl similarly as does Ro's, speaking leaps and bounds more hatred than they could ever voice. Leda tries to brush it aside by scooting from the middle for good measure.

   "Ro," Leda says to break the heavy air. She pushes herself to her feet, careful not to trip over her feet. "Are your family members all right?"

   "They're just as rowdy as I remember," he responds, flattening the wrinkles apparent on his outfit. No stifling armour to be found, only a simple blue turtleneck and other spade-embroidered fabric. "And smothering. I was telling them to stay in bed for a while longer but they've already decided to throw a banquet."

   Leda laughs. "Oh, c'mon. I know you're happy they're back to their regular selves."

   Ro turns his cheek. Clearly, he still isn't fond of speaking his true emotions. When his eyes fall onto the rows of supplies, Leda enlightens him.

   "They're for your family. From the citizens. They were really worried about you guys. Honestly, it's real sweet how you all consider each other to be family here."

   Awe swims across Ro's face, which is immediately thwarted with another giggle from Leda.

   "And I see you two have already helped yourself to some."

   "Sorry!" Leda replies despite already going for another swig.

   Effortlessly, Ro lifts all the horde of supplies with one arm as if they're light weight. Leda emits a whistle and claps from amazement.

   "Spades are super strong."

   "It's the only reason they've managed to live from a disease like this," Avel scoffs. "If any other kingdom was affected by a plague on this level they would've been annihilated a long time ago."

   Ro stares silently at Avel then shifts his attention elsewhere. "Stupid Heart."

   Avel parts an eyelid in time to have something chucked at his face. He rips it off to see what it is but by then Ro has already turned to go.

   "I brought you that in case your icy heart needed more warmth. I'll be back first thing in the morning so don't make too big of a racket out here."

   Avel grounds his teeth, chucking the blanket to the ground. "Damn Spade."

   "Ro!"

   Ro stops in place. He peers over his shoulder, at a frowning Leda, and lets out a sigh. "Fine."

   Another item is promptly chucked at Avel's face.

   "I'll throw in this pillow too," Ro says, dropping his now free hand to his side. His amber eyes narrow. "Happy sleeping."

   Avel removes the pillow, spitting from undeniable anger. Then again, so is Leda as she steps forward, "But—"

   "Leda, it's fine." Avel's growl catches her off guard. He juts his chin, repositioning his hands behind his head as he leans against the wall. "I'm an outsider here. Just because I helped a bit doesn't erase the hatred we've held for generations. I'd feel sickened being shown any kind of hospitality from Spades, honestly."

   Ro doesn't deny what he says, and truthfully, he doesn't have to. Leda understands that they share a history far too deep to gloss over with just an incident like this. Still...

   "Fine." Her mouth moves before her sluggish mind can follow. "Then I'm sleeping out here with you."

    "What?" Avel immediately asks. "You want to do the deed with me?"

   Ro hurls another pillow at Avel's face, this time hard enough to knock his head at the wall and to the ground.

Avel levitates his way back to standing, pillow bunched in his hands. He's fuming. "You—"

   "Just come to the palace."

   Avel's speechless, the pillow falling from his fingers. Leda's equally as frazzled.

"Don't make me repeat myself you stupid Heart," Ro spits, already sauntering off, balancing the tall stack of items on his right shoulder.

"Who are you calling stupid you damn Spade! I don't need your pity!"

"If you don't want to sleep in the palace how about I throw you in the cellars instead?"

"How about I slaughter you and feed your bloody remains to the wolves?"

Leda can't stop another laugh. His stubbornness wouldn't dare admit it but he's definitely grateful for what Avel's done for Edaps. They're like fire and ice, literally. Still... their relentless bickering aside—maybe she can get used to this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

497 29 11
The last thing you remembered was being someone stabbing you to death. So... why did you return to the time before all of this had happened? Were you...
331K 12.6K 57
After being reincarnated into a world of otome game as a villainess character, I fell in the routine situation of death flags+broke engagement. The p...
333 15 14
Adellia has grown up surrounded by rules and regulations. She's been prepped from birth to eventually reside in the throne that has been in her famil...
7.8K 268 24
In a world divided based on instincts, Anna Fields, a tiny woman with prey ancestry, scrambles to survive when she is thrown into the big, bad world...