Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

Por Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... Más

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Heart At Ease
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Against All Odds
Holding On to Stay True
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Fear of The Truth
Set Things Right
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

The Encounter

69.4K 2.7K 141
Por Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Twenty One

His eyes lingered to the entrance as numerous invitees swarmed the front. Still he hoped to see her, to find some relief that she had decided to present herself. He felt his brow sweat for the hundredth time and with unsteady fingers, he snatched the handkerchief from his vest and dabbed at the stubborn sweat.

Distract yourself, for Christ sake! His mind cried out.

A butler walked by with a silver platter of crystal wine glasses and Dathan hastily snatched one before the man could pass him by. Taking a large swallow, he regretted the action as the bubbly silver liquid rushed its way down his throat. He coughed in response to the sizzling effect overpowering his throat. Embarrassed he dapped at his mouth and did the best he could to adjust his bow tie and coat.

You should realize by now that you are more than nervous you fool, his mind taunted.

His eyes then scanned the large room searching for any relative to talk with, anything to distract him from the dreaded door. Lastly, he spotted his cousin Matthew a few individuals away and approached him. Forcefully, he turned his back to the door and took a deep breath as he greeted his cousin.

"Has your wife fallen sick?" Matthew asked, an amused smirk on his lips.

"She resides with her mother, she has been the unlucky one to have fallen sick." He replied. His gut knotted again to confess that she was so very far away and his hand fisted around the glass in his hand.

"So then where is Lady Camille, although I wouldn't think she is much of one?" Matthew snickered.

"Who?" The mention of his former mistress was a fading memory and then it hit him as Matthew raised an eyebrow at him. His distraction was consuming his train of thought.

"Your Mistress of course...she's been telling everyone that you bedded her over the last three years you and Lady Scarlett had been married." He answered in a sly smile.

Dathan did no attempt to continue the conversation as he looked at Matthew with a glare. She was trying to bury him in front of his family. Little did she know that she was only placing a horrid reputation for herself. Inside he smiled; glad to know that she wasn't so bright after all.

"It's such a shame that a beautiful woman as she could not make you have the least interest in her?" he pestered, when Dathan didn't reply. "She's gone isn't she?"

The frown on his lips was Matthew's answer as he looked at Dathan overshadow his posture with embarrassment and shame. His eyes grew the slightest wide as he chuckled. No woman had ever made his cousin so vulnerable. Matthew continued with the questions while keeping his voice a hush amongst the Ladies. "Did she find this out herself or did Camille let her know?"

"She had known for a while."

"Why did you do it?" he then had to ask.

"Because I am a fool Matthew," Dathan harshly replied.

"Tell me you at least consummated the marriage?" Matthew whispered, slightly elbowing Dathan on his side. He flushed crimson red at his words and slightly pressed his lips averting his cousin's gaze. "What concern is it to you if I did or not?" he snapped.

"Clearly you did not, for you would not be acting so worked out about it, but what does it matter, if you did not bed her then she is of no interest to you is she?" he asked.

"Of course she is!" he hissed.

"I don't mean to pry but you deserve the consequences indeed, such beauty in your posession cousin and you did nothing." He muttered.

His anger sparked as his mind agreed with Matthew and suddenly the shame of his actions overpowered his need to want to prolong his stay at the ball. How could he reside here knowing that all he wanted to do was sit in his chambers and wallow in his misery. Nothing good would come if it of course and it would certainly not bring Scarlett back but he didn't care.

"How long ago did she depart?" Matthew asked, his eyes flickering behind him.

"A dreaded month." He huffed out.

"Would you give anything to see her again?

"Of course." Dathan muttered.

"Well luck must have graced your presence today cousin," Matthew chuckled, as he nudged his chin forward.

"What?" Dathan asked, his gaze following his cousins.

His eyes brimmed as he gazed upon Scarlett emerge from behind the crowd of guests near the door. The young couple in front of her seemed to be of some similarity to him but he paid so very little attention as his gaze locked on her. She looked breathtaking in her white gown, her soft pale shoulders exposed as her swan like neck looked tempting by the pinned up hairdo she wore. His feet moved forward but a grip held him in place as he turned to find his cousin taking hold of his arm.

"I fear that approaching her so soon might ruin your chances of redeeming yourself, give her time. She came for a reason but let her take the first step, it will work out best this way," he advised. Dathan agreed with a nod and let his head fall trying to gather the erratic beating of his heart into place.

***

The dress felt somehow hard to breathe in, or was it that she had forgotten to inform Sonia not to tie her corset so tight? Her lungs filled with air as she took in a large amount but still she felt short. Everything inside of her was screaming, her mind flooded by awful dreaded memories of the past. This ball room held too many of his scorns, his insult, and his shame for her.

For a moment, she closed her eyes and then entwined her fingers together as she proceeded to walk forward. Nigel and Sonia quickly blended into the crowd while Hanna hurried to get her hands on a glass of wine. It was Bridget who felt uneasy in such a large crowd. She inched closer to Scarlett her hands wrapping around her own.

"My, it sure is quite a crowd," Bridget muttered.

"I think this might be the biggest it had gotten yet. It sure is lovelier each time I attend." Scarlett replied.

"Lady Heart, is that you?" Stunned by the sudden voice she turned to realize it was Dathan's cousin. Matthew. He looked as handsome as ever in his suit, waves of brown hair tamed to the side, as was the style. His bright green eyes greeted her warmly as he took her hand in his.

"Hello, Matthew," she greeted.

"Might I say that you look absolutely stunning this evening?" he complimented, as he laid a kiss over the back of her hand.

"Why thank you." She replied in a curtsy.

"And this lovely lady?" he asked, his eyes brightened at the sight of Bridget and a smile escaped his lips to see just how lovely she looked. Bridget in return blushed furiously and tried to miserably hide behind Scarlett.

"This is my good friend Bridget, oddly enough her last name is Mathews but spelled only with one t." She mused.

"May I say you are breathtaking," Matthew said.

Bridget pressed her lips into a thin line as Matthew took her hand and placed a kiss upon it.

"Matthew, be a gentleman and show Bridget how to waltz, she has been dying to learn." Scarlett teased. Bridget's gray eyes grew wide as Matthew beamed with great joy.

"I would be glad to." He said.

Without waiting for Bridget to protest, Scarlett watched as Matthew wrapped an arm around her shoulders and took her away. Scarlett waved with a bright grin on her face and watched from a distance as her friends enjoyed their evening.

She departed then and headed in the opposite direction. Scarlett hoped that Matthew would not inform Dathan of her presence if ever he should encounter him. The strength to face him was so little as she saw it.

***

Dathan's dark blue eyes followed her every movement like a predator waiting to make his attack. The idea of not being close to her soon overshadowed his mind and his feet moved forward in her direction. His body froze in jealousy as a gentleman approached her, he couldn't recognize him, but neither did he care. She smiled kindly, her greet never really reaching her brown eyes. He bowed and offered his hand to her in an attempt to dance and she willingly gave her hand.

His lips thinned and his hands fisted as heat overpowered his senses, nevertheless he proceeded in approaching them as he took a partner to the dance floor. The woman seemed to blush as Dathan paid no attention, his gaze locked on Scarlett. It felt as if ocean waves pulled him farther away in his attempt to get closer, and he cursed under his breath to see her smile.

***

Sir Evers had approached Scarlett in small chatter along with his wife on his side. The woman was clearly judgmental as she eyed her from head to toe, her fan being her shield. She paid little attention to the woman's opinions and tried her best to smile and be polite as they chatted. A light tap soon came on her shoulder and her body tensed for only a moment as she turned to gaze upon a gentleman.

"Could I have a dance?" he asked.

Her protest nearly left her lips but she stopped it before it could escape and instead she willingly gave him her hand. Why not? She thought to herself. Maybe this would ease her and make her relax a little. The gentleman led her to the dance floor, positioning them they began to waltz.

"You are Sir Heart's wife are you not?" he asked as they danced.

Scarlett smiled and then laughed, it was all out of nervousness but it felt good. "Y-yes." she confessed a bit embarrassed to do so.

"I was married once, I'm actually here with my daughter, but she wants me to keep my distance." he replied.

"Why?"

"She's sweet on a young man and is here with him, along with certain restrictions to me. I'm not allowed to come anywhere near her, she'd be completely embarrassed, says I will intimidate the lad." he laughed.

"You look awfully young to be a father?" Scarlett complimented, taking in his rugged features.

"I married when I was sixteen, my wife passed away a few months ago." he muttered, the depression clearly reeking off his tone.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Scarlett sympathized.

She stared at him with sympathy seeing the gray in his eyes dim all the more as most assumingly saddened memories crossed his mind.

"It's tough, and for me life only goes on through my daughter, I really do not intend to remarry." He admitted.

"I hope that you live a happy life even though she isn't here with you anymore."

"I know she waits for me, and I only hope that I don't wake up tomorrow so that I can be next to her." he sighed.

"Don't try anything that won't get you to her." Scarlett said, eyeing him.

"Not for a minute, my daughter needs me, and I know my wife would want me to look after her and our grandchildren as well. I'm a patient man." he admitted smiling.

"Good, make sure you keep it that way." she chuckled in relief.

The gentleman twirled her outward in a spin and Scarlett came to land in the arms of no other than her husband. Her throat tightened, her eyes widen and her heart hammered as her chocolate brown eyes locked with his dark blue eyes. Without protest and somehow understanding the man simply bowed and willingly took Dathan's partner quickly blending with the waltzing crowd. Her body chiseled in his embrace and her feet suddenly refused to move as she looked at him wide eyed. Emotions flooded her as she let go of his grip and quickly turned to vanish into the mingling guests.

***

He followed Scarlett and reached for her arm turning her to face him. Her face blushed and her gaze quickly avoided his as she removed her arm from his hold.

"Scarlett wait," he said.

"What could you possibly want?" she hissed.

He paid no attention to her tone and wrapped an arm around her waist leading her to a nearby private room. The lock clicked and the dim lit room lay silent as they both stared at each other for a moment. She seemed to retreat farther away from him as her arms wrapped around herself in a protective manner. As he took a step forward her face flushed yet again, her emotions confusing him. He wasn't certain if she was feeling the way he was or if it was anger sparking up in her. His mind searched for something to say to ease her protective stance.

"When did you return?" he asked.

****

His deep masculine voice still had an effect on her as she felt a consuming shiver run down her spine and spread through her skin. Oh dear Lord, thought Scarlett as she bit her lip.

"I believe this is not the moment to discuss anything in general, I will speak with you at home if you wish it." she replied looking down at the floor.

"I desire to speak with you now, I've been awaiting your return," he replied.

Scarlett gulped back the knot in the center of her throat and looked away as her breath faltered.

"Just listen." he argued.

"Dathan?" She protested.

"The divorce has been finalized," he confessed.

Her eyes snapped up to stare at him and he looked torn as he stared at her intently. Deep down she had waited for this moment, but now that it was here; all she felt was pain shattering her heart.

"Then I shall have my things out by tonight," she replied, quietly walking towards the door.

His gaze followed her as she reached for the latch and gripped it slightly pulling the door ajar. "I might have been a cruel husband but there is no need for you to flee the mansion this very night. Gather your things if you must but rest for the night," he replied.

"I think it's best if we stop procrastinating and finally give one another what we've longer for," she whispered.

"Scarlett, I know things did not go according to plan but..."

"According to your plan they have," she protested.

Her stomach coiled in sorrow and she hurried to rush from his presence before she did the awful mistake to argue her case. Her feet moved swiftly about the crowd and when the large doors came into view, she breathed a sigh of relief hastily crossing the threshold to the outside.

***

The door slammed shut and Dathan closed his eyes feeling the world crumble around him. He had lost when he thought he'd win. A tear slipped his eye as he took a seat and thought things through. Everything he had planned now seemed quite ridiculous. All he wanted to do was run after her and explain everything that was happening.

"To hell with it," he muttered as he stood. He was determined to confess his love for her. Why wait? Why prolong what his heart wanted to shout out to all the world? He rose from his seat and followed in pursuit. This night would end in one or two ways. Either she would reject him or by some miracle confess that she too loved him.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

15.3K 1.3K 48
Things don't seem to settle for Nora. She is back but it doesn't feel the same, it never did. But she needs to handle it anyways. She needs to deal w...
360K 3.6K 31
***Scarlett's life has never been perfect, in fact from good its gone to bad , the person she has ever loved no longer exists , and her family doubt...
313 27 28
Scarlette recently lost her mother and has been on the run ever since. She has no idea that she is one of the most powerful witches around. She meets...
64.1K 2K 26
~Completed~ "Why are you being so shy?" He whispered. "I've seen, kissed, tasted every inch of your body. There is nothing to hide." I averted my e...