Resisting Temptation (A Kyoya...

Sindersalight

Seina Kamei is the first female heir to the Kamei Technological Group. She is strong and smart and beautiful... Еще

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 19

382 17 0
Sindersalight

(Seina's POV)
First class was entirely ours. It was an unnecessary extravagance but to be honest I was not in the mood to deal with my friends, never mind acquaintances and clients and random strangers I might have bumped into otherwise. Yet my friends were all strangely subdued, as if in solidarity with me.
Kyoya had insisted he had business to attend to and would be there later. I felt immensely guilty, concerned that he was more upset about my imminent engagement than he was letting on and was avoiding me as a consequence. Perhaps he wasn't intending to show up at all. Maybe that would be best for both of us. I stared out of the window at the countryside rushing by and tried to picture myself with another man. Somehow it wasn't that easy and my mind always scattered treacherously back to Kyoya. What a mess I had created for myself.
A shining black limousine with my family's crest on the number plate collected us from the train station, taking us the final distance to my family estate. Anxiety knotted uncomfortably in my stomach as we made our way down familiar roads.

The chauffeur opened the door of the limousine and I took a deep breath before stepping out. I straightened my spine and pushed my shoulders back, head raised. Then a whirl of floral perfume came breezing toward me and a pair of familiar arms were flung around my neck. I hugged her back tightly before pulling away.
My cousin gave me a wild grin which I returned with all the spirit I could muster. Growing up in and around my family estate was often a lonely experience and without her, the only girl my own age, I might very well have gone stir crazy. She was dressed in a delicate gown like the proper lady her parents desperately wanted her to be, but on closer inspection the reality was obvious. Heavy combat boots were tied firmly to her feet in spite of the dress and her chin-length hair remained decidedly untameable, as if she herself had taken scissors to it. Yet, you could not disguise the fact that she was beautiful.
I turned to my friends, now assembled behind me, to find the twins eyeing her with amused curiosity. Now that was a disaster that I would have to prevent. 'Guys this is my cousin Satsuki. Satsuki these are my friends.' She looked each and every one up and down with a flirtatious smirk glued firmly to her lips. Then she leaned close to my ear.
'So Seina which of these is your secret man?' I flinched a little and shook my head.
'He said he would join us later. He's not here yet.'
'Ah ok. Would you like my help getting ready for the big introductions or should I make these handsome men feel more at home...' She winked at Haruhi who turned a shocking shade of red and I quickly insisted that her help would be indispensable.

I led the way through the mansion to my chambers in the west wing. I directed the boys to my sitting area and led Haruhi and Satsuki into my bedroom, much to Satsuki's confusion. I then explained that Haruhi, despite appearances, was really a girl and instructed my bewildered cousin to find her a suitable dress. Perhaps that was unfair of me but somehow I felt like the whole thing would be more manageable if someone else was equally uncomfortable. Rather than a dress, a traditional kimono had been laid out on my bed, as if this mess was something to be celebrating.
With some adjustments and tweaking from Satsuki, I was quickly dressed. It was a good choice by whichever maid the task had been delegated to and I made a mental not to find out later who it had been. Somehow I looked cute but also grown up and elegant. This choice probably meant my future husband was from an old and historical family like mine, not that that narrowed it down much. I sighed and turned away from my mirror to face my cousin and my friend who was now suitably dressed. Satsuki looked me over with a critical eye but seemed to be satisfied with her handy work.
I sat down heavily on my bed and sighed. She settled carefully beside me. 'How are you feeling?' I met her fierce gaze and looked away.
'Kind of numb to be honest. I felt so ill earlier worrying about it. I've already cried and raged. I'm not sure there is anything left to feel.' She nodded and leaned her head against my shoulder, a wordless sign of sympathy, which I accepted by leaning my head against hers. Haruhi awkwardly excused herself to the adoration of the boys but we stayed still. There was nothing left to say. For all Satsuki's petty rebellions, neither aggressive clothing nor punk rock were going to save me.
Eventually a maid apologetically stuck her head round the door and announced that our presence was required downstairs in the dining hall. Without argument, I stood up and went to face my future.

I didn't have to think about the heavy wooden doors to the dining room as a pair of attendants were posted to keep them open. I took a deep breath as I walked through the doors, shoulders back and head held high, Satsuki close at my heels. I could see my friends assembled in the room and blankly noticed that Kyoya had joined them. I felt strangely like I wasn't in control of my body as my feet moved slowly across the hall, all eyes swivelling to me. I was watching passively from somewhere near my body, but that wasn't me.
I briefly noticed Kyoya's family stood to one side, both his parents and siblings. That was a little odd but they must have come on business and been invited to stay as a courtesy. I carefully dragged my eyes to my Uncle, stood in the middle of the far wall, and made not looking at Kyoya into an art form.
Finally I came to a standstill a few paces from my Uncle. My parents were stood beside him with my siblings off to the side. Tatsuo caught my eye and I read the look on his face easily. You don't have to do this. There is still time to run. I gave him a weak smile and a barely discernible shake of my head. I would always be grateful for his unflinching support but this was my life and it was too late to back out now. Besides this was only a marriage meeting. Matters of significance were a long way off. Nothing was certain. At least that was the lie I chose to comfort myself with.
'Seina. My gorgeous niece, my heir, future CEO of The Kamei Technological Group. You have made me enormously proud your whole life. Allow me to take a small step towards repaying you for your dedication and loyalty. I would like to introduce your future husband...' I searched the familiar faces in the crowd of family, friends and well wishers, searching for the unfamiliar face which would surely belong to my future husband.
I inadvertently caught Kyoya's eye and my heart gave a painful jolt in my chest. I never should have invited him. His presence would only make things worse. He took a step towards me and I began to open my mouth to tell him to stop when my Uncle's deep, booming voice called out across the hall.
'Kyoya Ootori.'
And just like that my world came to a sudden juddering halt as my heart stopped and my breath caught in my throat. 'What?' My voice sounded weak even to me. I looked between my family and him. He looked a little embarrassed and vaguely apologetic as if we were neighbours and his impromptu visit had interrupted my dinner party.
Slowly my body began to cool down as cold, icy anger splintered through me. He risked another step closer and I easily moved out of his path. 'How. Long.' The words were hardly a whisper but they contained no less venom as I spat them in his direction, than if I had screamed them. He seemed to half close his eyes as he sighed and pushed his glasses up his nose.
'Do you remember the weekend we went to The Tropical Aqua Garden?' I narrowed my eyes at him but said nothing. 'I'd known that a marriage between the two of us was potentially on the cards the first time you ever came to the host club. However, my father and your uncle didn't officially arrange things till the weekend before that trip.'
My heart throbbed painfully in my chest. He'd been lying to me the entire time. Every single second, every smile, every laugh, everything was a lie. My blood was thundering loudly in my ears, drowning out reasonable thoughts. I turned back towards my Uncle. 'I am not going to marry him. Ootori is cold, unfeeling, sadistic and manipulative. Surely there has to be someone else? A fat middle aged creep perhaps?' My voice was becoming steadily louder and more hysterical as I spoke and my Uncle was quick to cut me off.
'Seina I went to great lengths to find you a suitable match and you will not disrespect me or the Ootori family. Accept graciously and apologise to your fiancé and his family.'
'Fiancé!? He hasn't even proposed!'
'The decision has been made on your behalf.'
'No! I refuse. You cannot force me to say 'I do' at the altar or put up with him till then. What is wrong with you? How could you do this to me? Do you not care about me at all? And now you intend to force me into the arms of a man just as cold and heartless as you-' My words were lost as my Uncle slapped me hard across the face.
In the ensuing silence I could hear a scuffle close by. I didn't need to look to know that someone was currently trying to restrain my furious older brother.
'You will marry Kyoya Ootori. You will form a positive attitude and you will apologise to everyone here. Do I make myself clear?' I'd never seen my Uncle so angry and he had certainly never hit me. 'You have embarrassed yourself and your family. I am having your things moved to the new chambers you will be sharing with your fiancé. You can get to know each other and become acquainted with your situation.' I had to restrain myself from howling with outrage.
My mother quickly stepped in. 'Kamei-sama she is a girl. Please allow her some time to adjust. Surely her current chambers are an acceptable size for two people.' For a second I thought my Uncle might turn his anger on her also but he seemed to calm down.
'I don't mind staying in smaller accommodation closer to Seina-san's current rooms. At least until she is ready.' I bristled in Kyoya's direction, far from ready to calm down. My Uncle looked thoughtful.
'The only room currently available in the west wing is a servant's bedroom.'
'That suits me fine.'
'Very well.'
My Uncle then turned to Yoshio Ootori. 'Yoshio I can only apologise for my niece. I hope you and your lovely wife will join me in my study.'
As soon as they were gone both my friends and family made to close in on me, varying degrees of sympathy and disapproval evident on their faces. Without waiting for anyone to say anything, I fled from the room, my feet pounding against the hard stone floor.

I drove myself forwards till my legs, feet and lungs were sore from exertion and then kept going. I knew it was unhealthy but I needed to feel something other than the emotions threatening to engulf me. I reached my chambers on autopilot to find unfamiliar maids placing his things in my home. One look at my face sent them scurrying from the room in a flurry of hushed apologies and stumbling bows. On another day I might have laughed. Instead I slammed the door behind them and tore the clothes from my back, allowing them to lie where they fell. I jerked my training clothes on and threw my kit bag over my shoulder before heading to the makeshift dojo.
The room appeared to all intense and purposes like a traditional dojo but a heavy punching bag stood on the far side. I tossed my kit bag on to the floor and punched the bag as hard as I could. My assault was vicious to both me and the bag as my muscles ached and my hands and feet began to bruise. I continued, not caring for the pain until I kicked the bag and it failed to move. For a moment I paused, confused, then I noticed Mori-senpai stood there holding my punching bag.
I gave him a warning look to back off, preparing to begin again but he remained stubbornly still. When I swung my fist again he caught it easily and grabbed my second for good measure. I attempted to free myself from his grasp but he was bigger, stronger, more experienced and had the advantage in that moment of emotional stability and perfect calm.
Eventually, I wore myself out and the anger began to subside. My tears caught me off guard and I found I had no time to compose myself before they were cutting harsh streaks down my cheeks. Once I started, I found I couldn't stop. Mori-senpai hugged me tightly against him while I sobbed into his chest, every buried emotion unleashed. When I finally stopped crying, I sat down heavily on the floor and he settled next to me.
'Why couldn't I have fallen for you Mori-senpai!? You're strong and handsome and so kind to me. Why couldn't you be the man I'm going to marry? You are reliable and stable and you have always looked after me. What is wrong with me?'
'Seina-san you are being unkind.'
'I'm unkind!? I don't care about that egomaniac's feelings! He lied to me! He betrayed me!'
'That's not what I meant.' Something about the tone of his voice made me stop and turn to look at him. He was gazing steadily at the wall in front of us, obviously avoiding my eyes. I stared at him puzzled, before the penny dropped and I realised what he meant.
'You're in love with me.' He didn't say anything to confirm or deny and the words just sat there between us. Not that I needed him to, with Mori-senpai and I silence had always been enough.
In that moment, I appreciated more than I ever had before, what a good friend Mori-senpai was to me. How many times had my romantic drama hurt him and he'd stuck around all the same? So we just sat there quietly, side by side. No words needed to be spoken.
When I finally stood up to leave and go to bed we exchanged a simple nod. Then just as I was about to walk through the doorway he spoke. 'If you didn't care, you wouldn't be so upset.' I froze, caught off guard by his words. Possible responses ricocheted around my head. Then without answer, I turned on my heel and left.

By the time I stumbled into my room and collapsed into my bed, I was too tired to do more than scowl at Ootori's luggage and fell quickly into a dreamless sleep.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Sown raeyim

Любовные романы

308K 13.8K 51
Hanae is a farmer, a joyful and simple woman who enjoys everything she comes into contact with. She is lucky and blooming with adoration. Kakashi is...
9K 235 12
Batman finds a cluster of old files belonging to the light. However as he decodes them he realizes that a few are targeting a young, powerful, indivi...
10.5K 288 25
𝐁𝐄 𝐌𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 ... 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 .. you imagine the pjo cast as ur 𝙊𝙉𝙇𝙔 𝙇𝙊𝙑𝙀. - 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘭 - 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘩 𝘴𝘢�...
148K 4.2K 10
Happy always has wanted a new mom since Lisanna died. When he and Natsu met Lucy he knew Lucy would be the perfect mom. Even after Lisanna came back...