Close to Me {Poe Dameron}

kimmyiewrites

Even though we both know we're liars And we start each other's fires ... Еще

Cast
one
two
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five

three

285 13 6
kimmyiewrites

"We what?!" Kat and Poe questioned at the same time after listening to Leia's instructions about the mission she was sending them both on. There was a rumor that one of their contacts had turned and started giving the First Order information because it seemed like they were one step ahead in their search for Lor San Tekka.

They were hoping that the man who became an expert in the Jedi Order would be able to help them find Luke. Leia wanted to make sure of this rumor but also get to the info first so they could get a head start. "Need to go undercover as a couple, try to figure out if our contact has in fact turned but also get the location of Lor San Tekka."

Kat let out a sigh and moved to sit on the edge of her seat but Leia beat her to the punch. "You two are my best agents and the contact doesn't know your faces so they shouldn't get spooked if they see you a few days before the set meeting."

The younger woman turned to face her commander. He still had a slightly dumbfounded look on his face, outwardly expressing how she still felt. She knew when she lost the battle though. There would be no changing Leia's mind. "Well, you heard the general, commander. Be at our assigned ship in fifteen." Kat tried to take control of the situation.

Poe turned to Kat as she stood, closing his mouth and nodded. He stood to follow Kat out but Leia stopped him before he could. "I need you to do one more thing for me, commander."

"What is it?"

Leia let out a small sigh. She felt conflicted about what she was going to say next but as a mother, it needed to be done. "Coruscant is Colonel Metonae's home world. I need you to promise me that you'll look after her because it may prove difficult for her to be there, especially when you first land. I'll leave it up to her to fill in the details."

This wasn't an order from his general. This was a request from a worried mother. Poe gave her a reassuring smile and a nod. "Of course, general."

He slowly left Leia's office, trying to wrap his head around his latest mission. He would be working closely with the one woman who hadn't fallen for his charms. Not to mention, it would only be just them. They would not have any backup. All they had was each other if something went wrong and only recently did they actually have some trust in the other. Plus he had no idea of how Kat was going to react to being back on a planet she hadn't been on since Leia took her in. Needless to say, this week was about to be interesting.

✧☆✧

She sat in the co-pilot seat, going over their undercover file. Not only did she have to pretend that she was married to Poe, but she would also be returning to Coruscant. She hadn't been to her home world since Leia took her in. She had of course grown up a lot since then, her looks had matured since she was ten, not to mention her natural blonde locks were kept brown so there was no way those who killed her parents nearly twenty years ago would be able to identify her. She just hated that her home world had returned to being kept under First Order rule.

"Wow, and here I thought I was going to have to fight you for the pilot seat," Poe said as he made his way into the cockpit.

Kat turned to look at him, a ghost of a smile on her lips. "Figured, I'd save us a fight. Besides, I'd rather go over details instead of flying."

Poe plopped down in the pilot chair, chuckling. "So, we're really doing this?"

"I mean what other choice do we have?"

He gave a small shrug and nodded before taking off. They worked in silence as they flew the ship out of the hangar. Once everything was stable, Kat leaned back in her seat and started to go through the file on her datapad. She mindlessly played with the ring around her neck as she read. It had been given to her so that Poe wouldn't have to keep his mother's ring hidden. Leia had figured that would be the easiest way if anyone asked.

Poe looked over at her periodically as he flew them to the spot they would jump to lightspeed. Since the First Order station, they hadn't fought as much. Matter of fact his friends kept asking him what he had done to fix it. They had even started leaving cups of caf or tea nearby when they noticed the other looked particularly stressed. Poe a week ago would have never believed that she would be sitting next to him looking so at ease. She always became so rigid when he was around and now she was as relaxed as one could be going back to a world they hadn't been to since their parents were killed.

Once in hyperspace, he turned to look at her. "So what's our story?"

"That our parents hated us because whoever came up with these names is awful." She looked up from her datapad, nose wrinkled in disgust.

Poe laughed. "Well, what are they?"

"You're Kit, I'm Pip and together we're the Damerae's."

They both locked eyes and soon laughter filled the cockpit. "Oh kriff, that's bad," Poe said once he calmed down.

"We're there for the week to get a feel for the planet because we're looking to move. We currently live on Hosnian Prime. Still fairly new to marriage. Only been married for six months. Oh, and we also own a restaurant so that can also be used as a reason for why we're here." She went through the facts.

"That's not bad. What relationship details do we need to know?"

"We honeymooned on Naboo. We dated three years before we got married. A mutual friend set us up. They were a cook that I stole from you since we were both managing restaurants before we had the opportunity to go in together."

"Do you know anything about the restaurant business?" Poe asked, wondering why they had chosen this for their cover.

Kat chuckled, shaking her head. "Not a clue. But the cuisine is very similar to Yavin 4 and Chandrila. So if anything we can talk about our favorite meals and be okay."

Poe nodded. It all seemed easy enough to remember. He hoped they wouldn't run into any actual restaurant savvy people. "Is there anything else I need to know?"

She stared at him for a few moments, battling with herself on what she should tell him. She knew she promised Leia she would start to open up more but this was too personal. "I haven't been here since I was ten. No one should recognize me or would even remember who I am." She worked hard to keep her voice steady.

He nodded once again, offering up a smile and a reassuring squeeze to her arm. The alarms started going off then, alerting them that they were approaching their destination. Both pilots set to work so that they could land.

The fact that he didn't push stirred something inside of her that she was not ready to examine just yet. She focused on the task at hand instead, helping to guide them into the constant traffic as they maneuvered the skies to their hotel. Once they landed, Poe stood and grabbed his bag, heading to the ramp. He turned to offer his hand, figuring it was time to start with the act, but Kat wasn't there.

She was still in her seat. The reality of it all keeping her there. She flinched when she saw Poe's hand, too lost in her own world to have heard him approaching her. He watched her, worried, never seeing the woman who usually filled the room with her presence so lost. She silently took his hand, standing. "Sorry, I don't typically freeze up like that. Guess it's hitting harder than I thought."

"I've been working with you for a while now, Kat, you don't have to apologize. I know your normal." He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"You're being weirdly nice to me." Her eyes squinted as she looked him over.

Poe chuckled. "I'm not that big of a jerk. Plus, Leia warned me that this first day might be hard on you."

Kat looked up, letting out a small sigh. She didn't know whether to be angry with Leia or grateful. "Did she tell you why?"

He shook his head. "Said she'd leave that up to you."

Looked like she was going to tell him soon after all. Now that she knew he had been given some kind of warning, the thought of him trying to get an answer out of her didn't sit well. "My parents were killed here and I haven't been back since Leia took me in." She took a deep breath, preparing herself for the next part, the true reason reality was hitting her hard. "They warned me to not become like my parents but I went and joined the Resistance instead of just giving financial support. Now logically, I know, the people who killed them could be long gone by now but it's that what if that makes me nervous."

Poe was taken aback, surprised that she had actually opened up to him. He never once let go of her hand, in fact, he had even started running his thumb across the back of it. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I've got your back." He brought her hand up and placed a kiss on her knuckles.

"Who are you and what have you done with Poe Dameron?" She asked as she watched him, suppressing the butterflies threatening to erupt in her stomach.

He laughed and let her hand go. "It's only because Leia would kill me if you didn't come back. Now come on, we've got to check-in."

A blink and it's gone smile flashed across Kat's features before she grabbed her bag and followed him out into the hangar. She slipped her hand back into his, not wanting to think about how she missed his warmth when he let go a few moments ago, and began to swing their hands lightly between them. They needed to look like a couple after all.

The check-in went smoothly. Even the elevator ride was nice. It wasn't until Poe opened the door that things started to get complicated. Kat had followed him in, taking in the room, wondering how the Resistance was even covering it, when she ran into his back causing them both to stumble forward. She had a quick remark ready on her tongue when she saw the reason he had stopped in the middle of the hallway. There was only one bed.

"I'll sleep on the floor," Poe said, mentally preparing for the not so great sleep he was about to get this week.

Kat shook her head. They needed to keep up pretenses just in case. She didn't want to have a forgotten pillow or blanket on the floor to give them away. "You're not going to sleep on the floor. We're both adults. Besides, there are enough pillows on that bed that we can build a barrier between us if you're so worried about it."

Poe looked over at her, eyebrow raised. "You sure?"

There was a knock on the door then, causing both of them to turn around and face the door. Kat shook off the quick burst of panic that ran through her before going to go check. If anything this just proved her point. Just before she got too out of reach, Poe grabbed her wrist. "What?" She whispered, glaring at him.

"You look too clean." He said as another knock resounded through the room. "We're practically newlyweds, right? On a semi-vacation."

She rolled her eyes, pulling out her hair tie and placing it around Poe's wrist. She then pulled at the braid to make it look like fingers had been tangled there during a steamy makeout. She tossed her jacket to the floor and then motioned towards her. "That better?"

A third knock came and Poe nodded as he unbuttoned the top few buttons of his shirt and mused up his curls. Just as Kat opened the door, he wrapped his arms around her, one hand sliding up under her shirt but resting just on her stomach. She stiffened briefly, not expecting for him to be so close, before relaxing back against him, one hand caressing his arm. The droid on the other side of the door had the decency to apologize. "Just wanted to make sure that the room was up to expectations." It said by way of explanation.

Poe had his face hidden in her neck, acting as though he was kissing her while whispering instructions on how to make her voice sound.

"It's just," she made her breath hitch, "perfect. Thank you." She bit her lip, letting out a small whine as if she was holding back a moan. While it got the droid to leave, it left Poe wondering what sounds he could really pull out of her.

When the door closed, she spun around in his arms and smacked his chest. "I don't need you whispering instructions in my ear. I know how to play into a cover just fine, thank you."

"It's been a while since you've been off base. I just wanted to make sure you remembered."

"Oh, so now you're keeping up with how long it's been since I've been in the field?" She raised an eyebrow.

He smirked at her. "Know your partner, right colonel? Was just wanting to help you get your feet back under ya. Looks like I didn't have anything to worry about."

She rolled her eyes and pushed away from him. "Get yourself back together. There are a few places I want to scope out before we start visiting the places our contact frequents."

"You're really going to make me look bad?"

She turned back around and smirked at him. "I mean I was faking it anyway."

"You are a cruel woman, Katerina." He couldn't help but chuckle as he shook his head.

Her smirk grew into a cheeky grin. "Oh don't let your ego take too much of a hit. We won't be going out via the front desk."

He looked confused for a brief moment before she pointed towards the large transparisteel doors that led out onto a balcony. He noticed the air speeders going by and it clicked. "Taxi service right to your room."

Kat just nodded. "Exactly. Now go get ready."

Poe held up his wrist with her hair tie still around it. "You need this back?"

She shook her head. "Keep it. It'll play into things. I've got another."

"Okay." He gave a small shrug before going into the fresher to get ready to go out.

✧☆✧

She brought them to a restaurant at first. He was a little surprised at the smile that lit up her features when they found it. It didn't look like much. A large counter that connected to the open-air kitchen took up most of the space. Small tables were scattered around the rest of the restaurant, a few people were already there eating lunch.

Kat hadn't let go of his hand from where she had dragged him in behind her. Her eyes scanned the menu, a small smile graced her features when they landed on what she was looking for. A round woman stood behind the counter taking the orders. She was lively and called each of her customers darlin or sugar. She just fit with the atmosphere of the restaurant.

"What are we doing?" Poe whispered as they waited in line.

She looked over to him and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. "Trust me. I used to come here all the time as a kid. It's safe." She turned to face the counter soon after that, hoping that he didn't notice the heat she felt in her cheeks. She couldn't believe she had just done that. She started to lean towards being annoyed with Leia over this mission.

His eyes widened and he wasn't sure if he was more shocked at the fact that she kissed him or that she took him somewhere she remembered coming to as a kid. And from the rosy color coming to her cheeks, it seemed like she realized what she had done. Was she working on autopilot, so far into their cover that instincts took over? Would this week show him a glimpse of what it would be like to date her?

The woman behind the counter did a double-take when they stepped up that made him nervous. He needed to focus. They were on a mission. No time to think about could've beens if he didn't stick his foot in his mouth the very first time he met her. She had said that no one would recognize her but it was clear this woman did. Kat, however, seemed unphased by this, continuing to order.

"Can I get two Monty specials please with extra cheese?" Kat ordered and the woman, Ruby, according to her name tag smirked.

Ruby called out to one of the other workers to take over as she motioned for Kat and Poe to follow. Kat dragged Poe behind her as they walked down the length of the counter to a door that was marked employees only. Ruby opened the door and ushered them inside before leading them into a back office. Kat seemed to be calm but Poe kept an eye out for anything and made sure he could come up with an escape route if needed.

As soon as the office door closed, Ruby pulled Kat into a hug. Poe stepped forward when her hand was pulled away from his, ready to attack if something happened. "As I live and breathe. No one's ordered that special in twenty years. You can't be the Metonae's girl. You've grown too much."

Kat laughed, hugging the woman. "Oh believe it, Ruby. I can't believe they haven't shut you down yet."

"They've never been able to catch me, sugar. You sure it's safe for you to be here?" She looked to the younger woman in concern.

"Yeah, I'd like to know that too," Poe spoke up.

Both women looked to where Poe stood, hands placed on his hips. He raised an eyebrow in Kat's direction, waiting for her to start explaining. Things weren't adding up.

Kat let out a sigh, having the decency to look sheepish. "What I told you on the ship was true. I've not been here since I was ten and no one should recognize me. My parents came here all the time during the civil war, giving Ruby here information to pass on to the rebellion. I honestly wasn't sure if it would still be open or if Ruby would even be around or if she would even recognize me. I don't look the same as when I was ten. I had bangs and had really light blonde hair."

"You got your momma's stormy blue eyes though. That's how I knew. Now, who is this strapping young man you have with you?" Ruby said.

Kat stepped back to Poe's side, wrapping an arm around his waist and placing a hand on his chest. "Ruby, this is Poe, he's one of my best pilots and we're here checking out different restaurants." She winked.

Poe gripped her hip and glared at her when she turned to face him. The question of 'what are you doing' written all over his face.

Before Kat could even respond, Ruby just laughed. "Oh, it's like I'm looking into a time machine. The roles were reversed though."

The older woman pulled out the necklace that hung around her neck. There in the pendant, the Rebellion emblem was engraved. "You should trust that sweet thing in your arms, darlin'. She may have been gone a long time but it seems like she still remembers a thing or two. Now, sugar, what are you looking for?"

Kat grinned at Poe, patting his cheek before she pulled away. "We're meeting up with this girl at the end of the week. Do you know her?" She asked Ruby as she showed the hologram.

Ruby looked at the image closely before shaking her head. "I'm sorry, sugar. I've been out of this business for a long time. No one's asked for that special since your parents, really. I can reach out to my channels and see. We've stayed in contact so we can celebrate the Resistance's good work. You worried she's turned on you?"

Kat nodded. "Yeah, we are. Just don't mention my name? I can't exactly have people knowing I'm back."

The other woman nodded. "Of course. We look out for our own. Come back in a couple of days and I'll have that information for ya." Ruby then pulled Kat in for another hug. "Oh, I don't think you understand how much hope you brought just by stepping into my shop."

"It's good to see you too, Ruby." Kat gave the older woman a squeeze. "We'll see you soon."

She took Poe's hand and started pulling him with her. They stopped by the counter and the cook gave Kat a bag that held two sandwiches with a wink. Kat smiled, taking the bag and handed it over to Poe. "Thanks, Mac." She whispered before she and Poe headed back out to the street.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

79.4K 2K 30
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
White Agony Helli

Разное

79.4K 3.1K 7
2 tom dylogii ,,Agony"
99.7K 1.4K 50
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
196K 705 24
its all in the title babes 😋