Lost Mind

Radimont द्वारा

Mania. The spirit of madness is what they call her. Three years after the events of Rosie Dehli, the mutant... अधिक

A N
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
sixteen
seventeen

fifteen

3 0 0
Radimont द्वारा

I FELT EVERYTHING.

Every neuron, every molecule, every cell thrashing and zipping throughout my body. My eardrums vibrating at the sound waves moving down my auditory canal. The chemicals fusing and clashing to create my current emotions. The slightest movement of my pinky toe bone, cushioned by small muscle ligaments. Even the tiniest breeze that moved several hairs on my head.

It was amazing how much I could feel. The complete control of my brain had over everything that was inside of my body. I suddenly understood Edmond's tedious lessons about the brain. I could control everything.

Sometimes, I would even practice on Malcolm. I could block out sound whenever he spoke to me by accessing my auditory cortex. Or when Father yelled at me, I could stop the flow of chemicals building up within me. And even with Buford. When I got cut by his blade because I had lagged a few seconds late on my defense in weapon training, I would stop the flow of tears that always threatened to leak out of my tear ducts.

The amount of times I used my ability was growing at a slightly alarming rate. But I began to question how I could live my life without it. It definitely felt odd, to rely on something that merely two years ago I despised. It had begun to feel almost like a reflex, something I quickly went to whenever I couldn't solve my problem.

Every thought since birth was constantly moving throughout my head, drifting automatically to the different parts of my brain. Long term memories, short term memories, new memories, learning skills. I felt them all throughout my body. Even the feelings that were attached to them.

I thread carefully around my memories, exploring all of my brain's capacity. It surprises me every time I did so. The peace within myself was a new sensation. It was difficult to come by, with so many people in the house all day. I began to sink further into my own mind, amazed at everything that—

"Leah." The voice split through my head. The single touch on my shoulder shattered every memory and thought that I was wielding a few seconds ago.

"Ungh!" The word tumbled out of my mouth as my body plopped back on the ground. I blinked wearily against the morning sun, placing a hand over my eyes. The outline of a slender body came into view. The short black hair, the piercing blue eyes, the pasty skin.

"Malcolm," I growled as I stretched my legs out. "I told you to never interrupt me from meditating." Malcolm took a step to the side, blocking the sun. My pupils expanded, drinking in the view of my brother. He stared down at me with awe.

"I didn't know you could do that." He said. I began to push myself up, hating the way my brain sloshed around after every meditation session I had. I winced at the nausea that followed. Seeing my sluggish movements, Malcolm silently helped me to my feet. "Do what?" I grumbled as I dusted off my pants.

"Levitate. You were just hovering a couple of centimeters off the ground!" He exclaimed with wonder, staring at my legs as if I had just sprouted wings on them. "Well I do," I snapped. "Just a little though, when I'm meditating." Malcolm nodded, clearly impressed. He began to turn away, gesturing me to follow.

"Quick, Leah. Father has a job for us." He told me as I trudged behind him. "Another job?" I muttered as I began to loosen my hair.

It had begun as a favor. One of Father's friends got in deep trouble with some very bad people. Father sent Malcolm, Leo, and I after them. Malcolm lured them to us, Leo was in charge of the physical work, and I was in charge of wiping their memories. Father's friend recommended us to someone else, then that person to the next, the list continued to grow.

Although our work was against the law, people seemed to love the idea of a group of freaks cleaning after their messes. I didn't mind, honestly. It gave me the time and space to practice my abilities. Besides, we weren't cheap. Father had gained serious money ever since we started this. We could buy a few nice things if there was left over money.

There was a limit to how many jobs a week we did. But as the months rolled by, the workload intensified. It was now up to three or four jobs a week. The more jobs we got, the harder training got. Miss Bea had begun to spar with me instead of Leo and Malcolm. Buford had moved from teaching me how to deal with blades, to teaching me how to use arms. Eddie began to squeeze my brain with the ability training.

"Yeah, but he says he will be just needing you and Leo today." Malcolm tells me as we enter the house. Stepping inside, I slowed down. "Just me and Leo? But we always need you." I said. My brother shrugged as he closed the deck door. "I dunno. You're twelve now, maybe it's time to learn how to do things on your own." He said.

I pulled my hair into a tight ponytail, letting my fingers brush through the growing lengths. "What's that suppose to mean?" I asked with a frown. Malcolm walked into the kitchen. "Just that I have done some jobs alone. Maybe Dad is just trying to prepare you for more." He suggested.

I turned away as uneasiness grew in my stomach. "Right, tell Father I'll be back down." I muttered over my shoulder.

. . .

"Everything alright, nena?"

I looked up from my hands tightly clasped together. Leo stared at me at me with her big beautiful brown eyes. I nodded silently, lying. Everything felt... off. Father's emotions weren't in line like they usually were. Bufford was gripping the wheel as if it were a lifeline. I swallowed.

Leo lifted an eyebrow. Her hair was pulled away from her face and around her horns. She wore the same black outfit as me, everything tightly fitted. Miss Bea said baggy clothing were made for you to get caught. Which was—

"You're doing that thing again." Leo chided as she leaned back in her seat. I glanced out the winodw, pulling my face into a tighter expression. "What thing?" I asked nonchalantly. "That thing were your eyes glaze over," Leo chuckled. I didn't look at her. I knew my perfected mask would crack under her gaze in a matter of seconds.

"No, I'm not." I lied again. Leo rolled her eyes and opened her mouth to retaliate when Father's voice crackled into existence. "Your target will be outside. Leonara, step outside the vehicle and wait for further instructions." He said into our earpieces. Leo winked at me as she followed my father's orders.

I hadn't even realized the car had stopped moving. I stared at the window as I waited for my instructions. My eyes wandered over the street we were in. I began to run through the nearest alleys me and Leo could escape in. Where the cameras were. Where the least amount of people roamed.

"I will give Leonara specific instructions to rob a certain man." Father started out. I nodded silently, waiting for him to continue. It wasn't my first time dealing with theft. On the rare occasions we did deal with that sort of thing, the money was generous.

My heart began to sink at his next words. "You will follow her." He continued on. My eyes flickered up at Buford in confusion. The burly man stared ahead, oblivious to Father's words. I stayed quiet, unsure where my father was heading with this.

"And you will get rid of her without getting caught."

I paused. The world blurred out of focus around me. Did I hear him correctly? I thought to myself in confusion. My heart leapt into action, thumping loudly against my chest. "I-I will-what?" I sputtered. Father had the audacity to chuckle on the other side of the line.

"You heard me right, Leah. Get rid of her. I don't care how, as long as you don't get caught." He said. My eyes dropped to the floor as everything grew even more blurry. Get rid of Leo...

"Forever?" I whispered.

"Forever," Father confirmed. "Never to be seen. Gone. Out of your life." I began to shrink into myself. I was suddenly ten years old, stuck in the Vault. Fear clutched my whole body, rooting me in place. Memories of getting leashed, beaten, left alone in the dark, electrocuted resurfaced in my mind. Memories from different people mixed dauntly in my mind, spinning out of control.

My breathing grew shallow. "Leah?" My father called, sounding impatient. I blinked out of the chaos raging in my mind. "Why? How? Has she done something against you—"

"This is your final test, Leah darling." He cut me off. My voice grew silent. "You've passed your training, you've handled your jobs perfectly, now it's time." My nails began to dig deep into the seat. "What test?" I snapped. Father drew out a long breath. "You need to prove your loyalty to this family, Leah. You want to flourish? You want to be stronger? Complete this final task and I will give you more access for you to grow. Better opportunities." He said. I could almost hear the smile in his voice. It enraged me.

"I will not give Leo up for you or for your stupid test! You must be mad to think I will just give her in! S-She's done nothing wrong, nothing at all." I growled angrily. Buford glanced at me from the rearview mirror.

"Leah." Father chided.

"She's gone through so much. She needs this more than I do. She's my friend. What are you thinking?" I yelled. Leo glanced at me from outside. I instantly looked away. "Leah," my father repeated with that irritating calm voice. "What?" I barked furiously.

"The girl hasn't done anything wrong. None of this is her fault. The next period of your life with these jobs require a great deal of loyalty and obidence, Leah. I need you to prove them to me in this very moment, if you want to continue down this path you need to be stronger than what you've become." Father said sternly. The anger within me began to deflate.

Big, fat, stupid tears started to well up in my eyes. "What if I don't want to continue? What if I simply resist?" I asked, lifting my chin in defiance. Father's hollow chuckle echoed in my ears. "You will, Leah darling. It's in your best interest to do so. I didn't pull you out of the Vault for nothing." He answered coolly.

I froze. The threat hung in the air, clear as day. My pulse spiked. "Pick something else. Anything else." I croaked in desperation. "Malcolm didn't have to do this, why should I?" I was pulling at anything I could salvage. I didn't want to go back to the Vault. I didn't want Leo to be taken away.

It made me furious how much I started to consider it. No. There had to be a different way. "Malcolm has done other things to prove his loyalty, which is none of your concern. If I find out you've helped her escape in any matter, you will have me to deal with." He said. "Follow her, get rid of her, those are your instructions."

The line went dead. I pressed the earpiece frantically. "Father? Father!" I cried out in panic. I glanced out the window. Leo pressed a hand over her ear, nodding to something my father was saying to her in private. She turned away and began to walk. "No!" I yelled, scrambling to remove my seatbelt.

Buford began to say something but I didn't hear him as I bolted out of the car. I stumbled onto the street and almost ran over a baby carriage. Ignoring the glare of a woman behind the carriage, I straightened and looked around for Leo. It wasn't hard to miss, someone with horns walking casually on the sidewalk.

I pushed through a couple and sprinted after her. She walked toward a coffee shop, confidence in every step. People turned to look at her with disgust, fear, and some with even curiosity. I dodged several people before skidding to a stop. Father's words replayed over my mind.

You need to be stronger than what you've become.

He believed I was strong. Was this it? Was this the stepping stone into our relationship? In some demented way, Father believed this was my way to prove loyalty. I took a hesitant step toward Leo as she moved farther and farther away. This was the only choice I had... right?

Frustrated tears built up again. Someone shoved me as they walked by. I blinked slowly as if I hadn't felt it. Realization hit my gut hard. This was her purpose. This was why Father had brought her in. My shoulders hung down in defeat as it began to make sense. He brought a girl in who was within my age group, had the same issues as me, and set her up in my life.

She had mentioned in the past, that Father had told her that she had a purpose. I swallowed the growing lump in my throat. I was her purpose. Leo was meant to grow close to me, so then I could betray her in loyalty to my family. Maybe... a small voice whispered in my mind. Maybe if I did this... there would be nothing against me and my family, the little voice offered.

Before I knew it, my feet trudged forward. My eyes scanned the tops of people's heads. I have to, I told myself. I have no other choice. It was either Leo, or the Vault. I couldn't bare the thought of going back. What they would do to me... Father would never send me back... would he?

I forced myself to look up. I soon found Leo, crossing the street. I followed route. She entered a shabby bookstore without looking back. Inhaling a deep breath, I crossed the street. The wind picked up, whipping my hair back. My eyes dried, causing more tears to well up. I let them fall down my cheeks this time.

I stepped inside the bookstore, my stomach clenching tightly as two coppers came into my view. I could feel the erratic thump of my heart at the base of my throat. They wore their checkered uniforms, conversing lightly over cups of tea at the front of the store. The lady copper paused and threw a frown over her shoulder at Leo as she walked by.

Leo either didn't notice, or pretended not to. She walked nonchalantly toward the aisles of books. I hesitated. My head went through all the possibilities of what I could do instead of betrayal. Buy her a fake passport and ship her out? I didn't know enough people... or even the right people for that type of stuff. I bit down on my lip hard.

Think, Leah, think, I scolded to myself.

I could help sneak her out... through the back doors and help her run as far away as—

"Leah?" A whispered hiss rang.

My widened eyes flew up in horror. Leo stood at the nearest bookshelf, drawing her thick eyebrows together. I opened my mouth to lie, to make up some excuse, anything. The coppers to my right gave me certain looks I didn't care to decipher. Leo slightly cocked her head to the side in confusion.

It was now or never.

"Don't keep standing there like an idiot. Come over here!" She said as she grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to her spot. My heart wrenched into a painful knot as she turned away to put a book away. "Your father didn't mention..." her voice trailed off as I lost interest in what she was saying. The genuine care in her eyes, her innocent laughter at my jokes, her curious accent, the warmth of her hugs; I knew in that moment I was going to lose everything.

"I'm so sorry, Leonara." I murmured, my eyes dropping to the ground in shame.

Leo brushed her hair away from her face. "What do you mean? Why'd you say my name like that?" She chuckled, her smile falling as she noticed my serious face. "Leah? What's going on?" Her voice was laced with caution. Leo took a step toward me, reaching to touch my arm.

"Don't touch me!" I shrieked, tears streaming down my face. Leo's eyes grew large in confusion. "Leah what are you—"

"Get away from me!" I screamed as I took a step back. Leo jumped from the loudness of my voice. A few customers glanced at us. A kid reading on the floor looked up in curiosity. "Leah be quiet." Leo said through her teeth, eyes flickering to the people around us. A floor creaked as someone got up from their chair behind us.

Leo took a hesitate step back as she looked at something from behind me in fear. "Everything alright over here?" The rather large copper asked. His accusing eyes were set on Leo. The lady copper folded her arms over her chest, shifting directly in front of Leo, blocking her path. I felt myself shrink back.

"Nothing, officers. I-I was just trying to reason with my friend here." Leo said as she shot me a warning look. The lady copper frowned again. "That didn't sound like—"

I squeezed my eyes shut as I lunged. My hands grasped both of the coppers hands. They glanced at me with surprise and began to pull away when I hinged myself to their minds. Their eyes glazed over as I shoved memories into their brains. Leo's memories. Everything she has done against the law, including her life back in Spain.

"Leah!" Leo cried out as she yanked me away. The coppers' hands fell limply to their sides as they regained consciousness. I stumbled back from them, my back hitting the book shelves behind me. "What are you doing?" Leo growled as she pressed an arm against my neck. I wheezed under her weight.

My clammy palms touched her arm. Her enraged mind was easy to invade. Another tear slipped down my face as I tore through her mind. I grabbed the most painful memories, emotions, body trauma and resurfaced them. They slammed into her consciousness.

Leo gasped as she staggered backwards. I coughed as air filled my lungs once more. The fat copper took a step toward Leo. "Step away from her." He commanded as his hand hovered over his gun. Everything hurt. Not physically.

Pain contorted over Leo's face as she gasped for air. Her back bumped into the book shelves behind her. Tears slipped down her face as she looked at me through her hair. My heart felt like it was being torn in two. Waves of agony and fear rolled off of Leo. Strong surges of hurt wafted up to me. Her recent memories played over in my mind as well.

"We will need backup..." the lady copper was speaking into her dispatcher. The fat copper took a small step toward Leo. " We will need you to turn around and—"

"Maldita." Leo snarled. My eyes snapped over to her. She leaned against the book shelves for support. Her knees were shaking... because of me. "Leo, it's not what you—"

She charged straight for me. I dodged poorly to my right. The kid on the floor squealed as he scrambled away. I landed ungracefully on the floor, scrambling to get my feet under me. "Oy! Little girl—"

Leo swiveled around in a blur with her fist. Her knuckles connected with the side of the fat copper's head, sending him tumbling to the side. His partner yelped as she drew out her gun and pointed it at Leo's chest. I froze. "No, please..." I said, lifting a trembling hand. "Is this what you wanted? Huh?" Leo yelled over her shoulder at me.

"Freeze! Don't you dare move!" The lady copper roared. My eyes darted everywhere. Panicking customers ran over to the doors hastily. Sirens wailed from a distance. The blood roaring in my ears threatened to block every noise out.

Leo slowly raised her hands in surrender as the copper shouted at her. When the copper lowered her gun as reached for Leo's hand, she reared her head back and smacked her forehead against the woman's. The copper crumpled at her feet. Leo spun toward me.

"Que cojones was that?" She spat as she neared me. I straightened, wiping the tears from my face. "I don't—"

Leo charged. I sidestepped her and pushed her behind me. "You were like a sister to me!" She screamed as she ran toward me. I moved to dodge her but she planted a leg between my own, her foot behind my ankle. I yelped as I fell on my back. Leo's fist cracked against the floor as I rolled away from being pummeled to death.

The sound of tires squealing reached my ears. I glanced up toward the doors. More coppers. "Leo, you have to get out of here." I whispered in fear. Leo chuckled bitterly. "Why? So you can do whatever you want to do behind my back?" She said as she launched another attack toward me.

I kicked her arm away, grunting as she gripped my ankle with her other hand. She dragged me toward her, clenching her jaw tightly as I tried to move away from her iron grip. The door banged open, coppers streaming in. Leo threw my foot toward the ground, bringing back her first.

"Freeze!" A few voices shouted.

As she brought her fist toward my chest, a single shot rang out. I cried out. Leo's back arched as blood splattered down on me. She gasped as she hit the floor. I pushed myself to my knees and grabbed her shoulders. "Freeze!" The coppers snapped. They neared us carefully, guns still aimed.

"Leo..." I whispered, looking down at her. She clutched her stomach as dark crimson liquid etched out. Vile rose at the back of my throat. I pressed my hands against her abdomen in attempt to stop the blood flow. Leo looked up at me with wide eyes.

The coppers took a couple step toward us. "Step away from her. Now." They ordered. I shook my head, unable to look away from Leo. "Step away from the suspect!" One of them shouted. "Did you know her? Were you involved with her?" Another asked. I stared down at Leo, tears filling my eyes.

I knew I shouldn't have said it. She was part of my family. She was like a sister to me. Leo didn't deserve it, especially in her last moments. No one in the world did. It wasn't her fault to have met someone as cruel as me. I licked my dried lips, regretting to have been in her life.

"No."

THE MEMORY ECHOS behind my eyelids. Gripping the cushioned seat underneath me, I immediately get rid of the roar of emotions that usually followed that memory.

"You still haven't answered my question."

I glance at Pan, who was staring at me expectantly. Nyx and Giovanni and Phan are in deep conversation about what is the best software to use when hacking, Viktor and Smirnov are discussing something I can't quite catch from the back of the van, which leaves me with Pan. "What?"

Pan sighs, glancing at the others before leaning in to repeat his question. "Why did you help out back there?" He stares at me through squinting eyes, as if he can't quite believe it himself. I lace my fingers together, trying my hardest to not think about Leo.

Pan had passed his test with flying colors; I wasn't in the slightest ounce surprised. Viktor had seemed relieved that Pan had shown some type of control over animals which was me mostly placing pet owners in front of him. It was tiring, to be frank.

"I... you reminded me of something I should have done years ago." I reply quietly. Pan leans back into the seat, nodding quietly. "Well... thank you. I know we haven't been on speaking terms lately but I appreciate it." He says after a great deal of hesitation. I glance out of the window, watching the raindrops race down the window.

"Don't mention it," I answer. "Don't mention what?" Phan asks loudly from in front, grabbing Nyx and Giovanni's attention. I roll my eyes. Pan chuckles, tapping his fingers against his knees. "Geez, Phan. Do you have to ruin everything?" He asks. "Ruin what?" Nyx quips with a note of intrigue.

Pan runs a hand through his hand. "Fine. If you all must know, I was just telling Mania about this party we were invited to." He says with an exaggerated sigh. I turn to look at him with a brow raised, curious to see where he's heading with this. "A... party?" Nyx repeats with an unbelieving frown.

Pan bobs his head. "The Jones's did." He answers with a cheeky smile. I narrow my eyes at him. "The Jones family? As in one of our rivals?" I ask. They were one of the biggest family crime syndicate in the areas. They were known for being rich, genetically beautiful, and only blood family. Pan nods, shrugging. Phan leans closer to Pan. "How'd you score that? I've been trying to even be in the same room as one of those gorgeous—"

"But they hate us." Nyx says in confusion. Pan shakes his head. "No, correction. They hate Mania." He points at me. "Typical." I mutter as I place my chin over my fist. "They invited me to their Halloween party tomorrow night. I saved their poodle from getting run over by a baby stroller. They love me." Pan spreads his hands as he smirks.

Phan waggles his finger at him. "Smooth, man, smooth." Nyx grins as she leans back in her seat. "I haven't gone to a party in so long. I need to figure out what costume I should wear..."

"Aren't you going to thank me?" Pan asks. I shrug. "They hate me, I'm not invited." I remind him. Pan bumps my shoulder with his. "You're invited. I made sure of it." He answers with a grin. I stare t him. "And why would you do that?" I ask, inclining my head.

"I owe you for today." He replies, growing serious. I drop my eyes, nodding as I look out the window again. "Besides," Pan continues, "What could have been so bad that makes them hate you?" I sigh as I continue to stare out of the window.

"I have done many things in the past, Pan. What I did to them doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what I've done."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

57.5K 5.7K 60
It's Millie's final year at university, however there seem to be more pressing matters than writing her dissertation and completing her uni work. No...
83 0 13
Humanity's Darkest Era Book 3: Walking with the Demons After the fall of Chicago, Marcus, Blake, Chris, and the colonists are thrown back into the wa...
245K 6.4K 31
Riley Smith is about as troubled as they come, he's anorexic but in denial about it and fights a lot. What happens when his parents kick him out then...
4.6K 437 98
TRIGGER WARNINGS: - Descriptions of graphic blood and gore - Strong language - Sexual themes - Descriptions of physical and psychological torture - T...