Content To Be Claimed (Beauty...

Od MissChi26

"Typical," I muttered, still lost in my thoughts. "What is?" Warren asked without stopping. "That the only gu... Více

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Final Chapter
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter
Exciting news!!!
Author's Note

Chapter 5

611 14 0
Od MissChi26

And then I woke up.

I lay in bed, blinking and watching my curtains flutter in the slight breeze, the morning sun streaming in. I rolled onto my back and stared up at the ceiling, not really seeing it. My dream replayed in my mind, clear as if it had actually happened. It almost lacked that dreamlike feeling of the surreal. I sighed and sat up. I went through my morning ritual in kind of a daze, still wondering why I had such a disturbing, weird dream about the two guys in school who sparked more than just my curiosity. Of course, I thought wryly as I looked through my closet, the very fact that it ended with Warren kissing me proved that it was just a dream.

Dad and Dane were in the kitchen when I went down, setting out breakfast.

"You're up early," Dane observed, setting out my breakfast.

"You sound shocked," I smiled as I placed my bag on the counter and sat down.

"After last night, I expected you to call in sick," Keith confessed, digging into his eggs.

My heart skipped a beat and I forced my tone to stay light. "Last night?"

"Yep!" Keith nodded. "You came in babbling about Ace and Victor and a dolphin named Snowflake. Figured my daughter had finally gone loony."

"Oh, she wasn't babbling, Dad," Dane corrected. "I heard the story clearly. See, she and this Ace were driving to the movie house when they met a kid named Victor, who tried to sell them the dolphin."

"I have no clue what you guys are on about," I laughed.

"When do we meet this Ace, anyway?" Keith asked.

"It's Victor," I corrected.

"Careful, Belle." Dane looked grave. "Looks like you're in for that worthless stuff they call fatherly advice."

"Worthless stuff!" Keith huffed indignantly.

"See, he agrees with me."

"Yeah, but it's not as bad as that stuff they call brotherly advice," I smiled sweetly.

Dane shot me a look. "You're lucky you're riding in Ranger Burton's car today."

"I am?" I turned to Keith. "Why?"

"Because I miss my daughter, because I had a dream to drive you around the world, and because Dane said not to tell you he's paying me for it." 

Dane rolled his eyes as Keith stood up. "Dad!"

Keith shrugged into a jacket, the very picture of innocence. "What, son?"

Dane began to clear up.

"Come on, then!"

I picked up my bag and followed Keith out.

"Belle!"

I turned in the doorway and caught the apple he threw to me. "Thanks."

I hurried out, biting into the apple. Keith was already in the car, so I joined him. The car roared as it came to life, a sound that all department issue cars made.

"We need to get you a car," he said.

"What happened to driving me around the world?"

He grunted. "Dane isn't that loaded. Besides, if there is an emergency, you'll need the added advantage."

"Hold that thought," I said, looking out the window. I hated it when people wanted to buy me anything. I honestly had no idea how to respond to gifts of any kind.

"I'm serious, Belle." Keith's voice cut into my thoughts as he stopped the car in the school parking lot.

"Just as long as it's not new."

He raised a brow. "Not new?"

"Too expensive," I muttered, watching a familiar silver Bentley pull into the shade close to the hall. Victor stepped out and walked into the hall. "Bye, Dad."

"Have fun," he said as I stepped out, then called, "Call Dane if you want him to take you home!"

I waved absently and crossed the lot into the hall. Anya and Amber were nowhere to be found, but Victor was waiting by my locker. He smiled when he saw me, and the Victor from my dream flashed into my mind. I nudged the image aside and smiled as I went over to him.

"Hi," he said as I opened my locker. "I figured you need a heads up."

"What's up?"

"Anya and Amber found out about last night."

"Uh-oh." I laughed as I closed my locker. We headed to class.

"Yep. Even call it our second date."

"Sorry about that. I'm ruining your reputation."

"Like I care either way," he smirked.

"What happened last night, anyway?"

"You don't remember?"

"Um, a movie. Funny."

He grinned, flashing his perfect teeth, and my heart skipped a beat. "You were laughing all the way home."

"All the way? We went straight home?"

"Yeah, why?"

We'd reached my class, but I had to ask anyway. "So...we didn't break into the school."

He raised his brows, then threw back his head and laughed. A few students passing by turned to stare, and I couldn't blame them. "Jeez, Belle! Why didn't I think of that?"

I laughed at my own silliness. "Okay, see you later."

My lessons seemed to rush by, and I kept wondering about my dream. I mean, how many girls dream of their crushes turning into monsters? Even the interrogation I endured during lunch didn't affect me. Anya and Amber were disappointed that I wasn't even trying to play up my association with one of the hottest guys in school.

Before I knew it, I was preparing for my last lesson of the day. Biology.

"Greetings."

I jumped and my locker slammed shut. I pressed my book to my chest, trying to slow down my breathing. Warren stood next to me, his backpack slung over one shoulder. He was smiling softly, his dangerous cat eyes a brilliant green.

"Don't sneak up on me," I mumbled, turning away so he wouldn't see my blush.

"My apologies. On our last encounter, I neglected to introduce myself. I'm Warren Strandton."

"You mean, when you were pinning me to my locker? I can see how you missed that part."

He grinned, making my heart go into overdrive, and stood back to let me by as we went to class. "I believe you are my Biology partner?"

"You mean you actually want me in Biology?"

"Of course."

I looked up at him. "And what about my perfume?"

He turned to me with a slight frown. "Perfume?"

"My scent," I reminded.

"Oh." His smile was sly. "I can manage."

Oh, how could I be angry with him when he had that relaxed smile? When he was going out of his way to be especially friendly? When his eyes had a touch of that tenderness I'd seen before he kissed me - even if it was only in my dreams?

We got to class. "Uh-oh," I panicked. "We're late."

He leaned over me, opening the door, and I was suddenly hyper aware of him. "Ladies first," he whispered.

Mrs Keaton's voice stopped when the door opened, leaving me no choice. She resumed teaching, but all the students stared as I walked in with the hottest guy in school - no, the whole world - right behind me.

When we got to our seats, I stood aside. He stopped too, watching me. "Go first," I whispered, "so my scent doesn't affect you."

He laughed and instantly covered it up with a cough. The brief sound was beautiful, gorgeous, refreshing. It rolled over me like a breeze on a hot summer afternoon. "How considerate of you, but I assure you, it will not affect me." He motioned. "Please."

I shrugged and took my usual seat, and he sat next to me. I tried to shake the lightheadedness out of my head, a lightheadedness caused by the knowledge that I'd made Warren laugh. Can you blame me for not hearing a thing about fish? Or for feeling my stomach do a flip when I realised that he was waiting for me after the lesson?

I began to wonder what it was with this guy that made him unbelievably irritating one time, then absolutely charming the next. It was totally confusing.

"Why the silence?" he asked gently.

"What's with you?" I blurted, ever the painfully honest one.

"Excuse me?"

"Well, the times we met so far, you couldn't stand me." I saw something indefinable cross his eyes. "What's changed?"

"Forgive me for giving that impression," he said carefully as I packed for the day. "It's just...I suppose I was nervous."

"Oh." I frowned, closing my locker. Warren had never struck me as nervous. In fact, I hadn't once seen a sign of it in him. But then again, I didn't know him from Adam - except that he was so much more... Well, something.

"Hey Warren!"

I turned, startled, and found the sophomore from before coming over.

"Ah, Roger," Warren grinned. "Sixteen, eager to drive my car."

His keys were suddenly in his hand. He thrust that hand under his arm and expertly flicked the keys to Roger, who caught them just as expertly. "Convey my apologies to her and promise compensation."

"Like what?" Roger asked.

"Invent something."

My phone disturbed my questions and, turning to answer it, I saw Anya and Amber staring at us, eyes wide. "Hello?"

"Want me to take you home, or are you riding with Ace?"

I smiled. "What, and disappoint my big brother? Impossible!"

He muttered something unintelligible and, ignoring my giggles, said, "Okay, then. I'll be right there."

I turned back to Warren, who smiled and said, "Basketball practice awaits. On the morrow, Belle."

"Yeah, bye," I mumbled, watching him stride gracefully towards the gym. Had I really spent over an hour with Warren? Me?

Clearly, I wasn't the only one who couldn't believe it. Anya and Amber pounced on me.

"Okay, tell it all!" Anya commanded excitedly. "Leave nothing out!"

I walked towards the doors and they kept pace determinedly. "There's nothing to tell, really. Warren just came to me and reminded me that we're lab partners and we just...talked."

They stared. I glanced at the parking lot impatiently, willing Dane to arrive. Mainly because Derek, Chuck and Victor were coming towards us. I wasn't in the mood to face a barrage of  questions. I needed time to mull over what just happened before I jumped to decidedly harmful conclusions.

"Hello, ladies," Derek grinned.

"Belle just spent over an hour with Warren," Amber volunteered.

I glared at her.

Victor's eyes narrowed and his voice was low as he asked, "You were with Strandton?"

I looked at my feet. His tone made me feel guilty. "In Biology."

"And after," Anya supplied helpfully, and I rolled my eyes.

I heard a car pull up and saw gratefully that it was Dane. "Guys, later."

I had only taken three steps when a cool hand closed over my arm and pulled me back. I turned to Victor, who kept his hold on me, his eyes carrying a hint of a challenge. "You really don't have to keep calling your brother, you know." When I raised a brow, he smirked, "We're friends now. I can take you home anytime."

"Oh." He let go and I tucked my hair back, then smiled. "That'd be fun."

"That it would," he chuckled, then turned away.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

40.6K 989 47
"That guy is totally checking you out." "Who?" My eyes found Simone's face as a sheepish smirk played on her lips. "That guy. Over there. Wearing the...
3.6M 112K 31
Lunch went by pretty quickly, and we were back to classes soon enough. I'd forgotten to get a book from my locker, so I quickly went to get it. I was...
966K 33.9K 56
"You think I want to hurt you", he strained balling his fist. "You're so foolish", he groaned. "Can I ask another question?". "No leave me alone"...
352K 8.1K 28
"Why do you care if I kiss other girls? We're not together, we're friends" he stated swallowing his emotions. "You're right, why should I care? Like...