Heartbeats in Moonlight

بواسطة SusanGarod

They'd survived two years of a cold war: David McKenzie and Gabriella Jones rarely spoke to each other. He th... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Part 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100 (Final)

Chapter 40

76 5 0
بواسطة SusanGarod

David poked his tongue in his cheek as he studied Ella for a second, then he said, "The study." It was either throw away this progress or compromise to keep the foundations. David recognised that he had never had to work so hard to establish a relationship. And he also recognised  that this relationship was critical.  He wasn't sure why exactly, he just knew this was important. And he really didn't want to review this situation if she was not going to be honest, not when he knew his feelings for her were not what he wanted to feel!  Especially as he didn't know how she felt about him. 

"Perfect." Ella mumbled. Her heart was thumping in relief.

Her statement nicked at David's self-restraint but their gazes met. He could see she was struggling. Seconds elapsed. David reined in his feelings and said quietly, "The view is great, and it has furniture."

Ella conceded silently that it was a great view. And she threw him a look that told him she was grateful for the grace period. He had thrown her a lifeline. She nodded, "It is a lovely room." But she also wanted to know about him: his taste, his opinions, his outlook, "Did you furnish it?" She squared her shoulders and watched his response.

The small muscle at his jaw flexed. "Yeah of course!" He blinked at her and his chin went up another notch, before he questioned, "What do you mean?" He decided that he must stop assuming anything especially with her.

Ella looked straight at David, "I just wondered if you bought the furniture in that room?" Added more candidly, " Or did you ask someone to help you?"

He jammed both hands back in his pockets. "Not exactly." He squirmed. She waited. Ella said nothing. She appeared composed, David thought, while he knew his feelings were all over the place. He wondered what was going on in her head given that spark in her eyes. David opted for the truth, "It was what I had at the time when I was building the place. I just dumped it all in there."

"I see. And you like it." She rubbed her hands up and down her arms. His honest reply was what she wanted from him.

"Well, most of the pieces are old, but yeah, I like it." He replied defensively. "It's probably not your style." He thought her office would have immaculate furniture. It would blend, tasteful, probably perfect, just like her. His exasperation escalated as his attraction to her flared into life again.

"Ok." She ignored the challenge and accusation in his tone. It was hard, having to address his opinions of her, albeit his opinions were only visible in his eyes.

"So what now?" Evidently he expected her to suggest options for him to consider. But she waited for him to speak. Ella, looked around but said nothing. David huffed under his breath. This was difficult. He didn't have the skill. She did. That is why he engaged her to decorate his home. Surely she would tell him what would suit his home! She has experience, she does this for a job, she has a decent reputation, surely she would tell him what would suit his home, David thought as he watched her. But she said nothing, just waited for him to carry on. Eventually, with frustration in his tone, he said, "I mean, it's just stuff I like."

"And that is?" She prompted.

David gaze narrowed as he studied Ella. He growled. "Nothing fancy."

"Ok."

"Just old stuff. Bits and pieces." His shoulders lifted and fell as he shrugged with feigned indifference. "Collected over years. Some old, some recent. Things mum gave me. Dad made the shelves. I just put them where I thought were best for the furniture. Just chairs, a desk." He knew he was starting to sound really defensive. 

Her eyes met his eyes, as she tried to figure out if she should just get on with this. 

David watched her reactions in her eyes. "Pretty ordinary stuff. I guess." She waited for him to stop rambling, suddenly conscious of the fact that he was embarrassed about his furnishings. Obviously he wasn't going to embellish.

Recognised the discomfiture in his voice, Ella said, "It is a lovely room. I love the aspect. And the view is amazing."

"Yeah, at one point I thought this room could be my bedroom. Waking up to this view. "

"And?"

Colour suffused his neck and cheeks. "I thought I mind spend more time in this room looking out, if it was a study."

"I see." Ella understood his statement and the colour in his cheeks, obviously there would be something, or someone, in his bedroom that warranted his attention. She shook her head, hoping the image would vanish. All she could see, was him and another girlfriend, in bed. She looked away and mumble, "I think it suits your nature."

He shrugged. David rubbed the back of his neck as he watched her at the window. "Now what?"

She closed her eyes, was pleased that the image had vanished, so she took a small breath and then turned to face him. Her eyes sparkled and she smiled, "As I said earlier, the diagrams will set the tone for the house."

Her lips were moving but he was entranced by her smile.

"Several diagrams, but we can change things. Just looking for a particular tone. A style that you like."

He stopped being mesmerized by her eyes and concentrated on what he was hearing. "Ok. A tone. Style."

"It just gives us a base, just to check that we are heading in the right direction. Ok." She nodded again as she thought about it. She just hoped he wouldn't change his mind if she suggested something that doesn't suit his personality. She headed for the window. The view was impressive and special, apparently he has instinctive style, given the window was the right size for the room and it was in the right position for the view.

His fingers rifled through his hair as he reached for a measure of control, "Well?" He prompted. He looked across at her. She was standing by the window, and left him with a view of her back. When was the last time he'd run after any woman? And he hadn't felt this desperate, to date a woman. Especially a woman he had ignored for two years.

Ella suggested, "Ok, we can start with this room."

David nodded.

For the next hour they went through the diagrams and talked about the various rooms. She learnt a bit about what he liked and what he didn't like. Then she showed him some of the simulations based on what he'd said, and what she thought was possible with his budget.

He queried particular features as they made their way through her simulation. She replied with patience and she provided straightforward solutions. She asked questions, and he gradually told her what he wanted.

She could see him thinking about something, as he considered her options before he made up his mind. She scribbled notes on the diagrams she'd drawn and also made notes in her notebook. He watched as he saw the way she worked. It was clearly that she was trying to create what he was looking for. She made notes about his concerns and she annotated the diagrams to draw attention to particular facets.

She cleared her throat, "Ok, I think I have enough for now." She started to pack her computer, diagrams and notes. He seemed to like what she was proposing, and with just a few minor tweaks she thought she would be able to have a final plan ready for him by early the following week.

David got to his feet, "You know, we have spent nearly 3 hours ..."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to take up so much of your time..."

"Gabriella!" He laughed. "You have the wrong impression." He smiled. "You have the wrong end of the stick!"

"Oh?"

"Yes. I have enjoyed your company this evening. We had a good time. Albeit a business meeting." His lips twitched.

"Oh. Good. Yes, a good business meeting."

He was reluctant to let her go. "But."

"But?" She prompted.

"I haven't forgotten."

Ella knew what he was talking about.

For a man adept at tactics and plans when it came to women, he found his competences were somewhat deficient with her.

She gulped. "Another time." She picked up her stuff and moved purposely towards the door. "Thanks for dinner."

"You are welcome." He followed her out of the study.

She walked along the corridor, mumbling, "I will leave you a message with a date and time, when I have the drawings ready."

"No problem."

She had reached the front door. But David placed a hand on the door before she could open it. "I will leave you a message with a date and time to talk about the aftermath of that rugby camp issue."

Ella stiffened automatically. "I don't see the need for it."

David frowned at her response. "You are wrong, Gabriella." He reminded with a frown as his eyebrows beetled closer together. "We agreed, earlier, that we would talk about it. Albeit now today. But I intend to hold you to that agreement."

She said, her eyes pensive, "Fine. Can I leave now?" She could always ignore his message, or pretend that her answer-machine had a problem.

He announced firmly when she looked at him, with wariness in her eyes, "No excuses, Gabriella." He looked into her perplexed eyes and smiled with a predatory gleam. "Tiptoeing around that elephant in the room, is not ok, Gabriella. We meet, ok? Do you agree?"

Ella sighed and conceded with reluctance, "Fine, we can meet, after we have finished with this job."

He told her with a predatory grin. "Ok. But I wont forget it."

She grumbled. "Can I leave now?"

"Goodnight Gabriella." He smiled and he opened the front door.

She stepped out, mumbling, "Goodnight David."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

8.9M 338K 39
Needs editing and will be editing soon Alexis Miller is a 23 year old who is freshly out of college. She was hired right on the spot, when the owner...
2.5K 38 58
He came out with handcuffs, lube, and the wand vibrator. He toss it on the bed. I bit my lip because I'm nervous and anxious. I look at him to see hi...
1.7M 51.3K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
440K 4.7K 8
"You won't expect love from me and will please me whenever, wherever I want." *** Passionate bonds linger in their relation which are ignorant to bot...