Kidnapped Love

Por CLB321

Akila moves her life across the country in hopes of rebuilding a fractured relationship with her mother. But... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30

Chapter 29

3.2K 93 7
Por CLB321

Chapter 29:

The soft hum of the hospital equipment lulls me into a false sense of serenity, but the nurse's words shatter it like glass. "You'll be discharged tomorrow," she informs me, her voice cutting through the artificial calm.

Night wraps its arms around the room, and I'm left alone with my thoughts, the machines beeping their relentless rhythm. Every four hours, hands check my vitals, their touch clinical and detached. I try to focus on the beeps, but my mind spirals, tangling itself in the enigma that is Derek.

The officer's words echo in my head, a haunting refrain of missing pieces. No demographic information? It's as if they've vanished into the digital ether, leaving behind nothing but ghosts. They must have been technologically savvy, maybe even enough to erase themselves from existence. My heart races, not in sync with the beeping of the machines, but with fear and betrayal. Could they be using fake names? The idea gnaws at me—Derek can't be his real name. The man with the black hair and muscular figure who served drinks at The Lotus Lounge... he was a lie, just like everything else.

Underneath the sterile sheets, my hands clench into fists. How can someone just cease to be, become a phantom without a past? Anger simmers within me, alongside an ache for the truth.

A restless night ensues, each tick of the clock punctuating my uncertainty. The dim light from the hallway casts long shadows across the room, mirroring the dark thoughts clouding my mind. Derek's face hovers behind my eyelids—the strong jawline, his intense gaze—every detail a sharp reminder of the deception.

I keep replaying the exchange with Officer Kotowski, searching his expressions for something I might have missed. His furrowed brow when I mentioned Derek, the slight downturn of his lips—it all points to guilt. But there's a part of me, a whisper of compassion that refuses to be silenced. Derek is more than just a criminal; he's human.

As dawn breaks, bringing with it a new day, my resolve hardens. I need to see him, demand answers that only he can provide. The thought of visiting him in jail after his trial takes place coils in my stomach like a snake—but it's what I must do. He owes me that much, at least.

"Maybe then," I murmur to myself, the sound barely audible over the beeping of the machines, "I'll get the closure I need." And maybe, just maybe, I can start to heal.

The nurse enters, her steps brisk and purposeful against the sterile hush of my hospital room. She offers me a tight-lipped smile, one that doesn't reach her eyes.

"Good news," she says, the clipboard in her hands a stark contrast to her pastel scrubs. "You're being discharged today."

Her words should be a balm, but they strike an odd chord instead. I search for the relief, expecting it to swell within me, but all I find is a tangle of anxiety.

"Already?" The skepticism in my mother's voice slices through the air, pulling my gaze towards her. She stands by the window, phone pressed to her ear, her free hand gesturing wildly as she speaks. I can tell she's not discussing dinner plans—her brows are drawn together, her mouth set in a grim line.

"Yes, the doctor cleared everything this morning." The nurse's voice is efficient, practiced. But there's something else there—a trace of discomfort, perhaps, knowing what we've been through.

My mother ends her call abruptly, her attention snapping to the nurse.

"I don't think it's safe for her to go home yet," she asserts, her tone laced with that maternal protectiveness that feels both comforting and suffocating. "The hospital has better security."

She's right, of course. My mind flickers back to Officer Kotowski's rundown of threats made by Byron—the behemoth of a man with a voice that could make walls shudder—and how he and his cohorts aren't securely locked away. It sends a shiver down my spine.

"Ma'am, your daughter will be fine," the nurse reassures, though her eyes dart to me, seeking confirmation.

"Fine," my mother scoffs, returning to her call, her voice a notch higher as she starts inquiring about home security systems. Quotes and features become a buzzing backdrop to my own spiraling thoughts.

With a gentle gesture, the nurse motions toward my arm, signaling it's time to remove the IV. The cool touch of her fingers against my skin is grounding, pulling me back from the precipice of panic. As the needle slides out, a small sense of violation accompanies it—like severing a lifeline.

"Deep breath for me," she instructs softly.

I comply, feeling the familiar pinch, watching as the clear tube dangles uselessly now, disconnected. The heart monitor, too, falls silent with a few deft presses of her fingers, and suddenly the rhythm that accompanied my every moment—the steadfast beep that echoed my heart's persistence—is gone.

Silence fills the void, heavy and oppressive. I'm untethered, adrift in a stillness that's more unsettling than soothing. The hum of life support had been a constant companion, a metronome to my existence here. Now, without it, the room expands, leaving me exposed and vulnerable.

"Are you okay?" The nurse's brow creases in concern, her head tilted as she observes me.

A nod is all I can muster. My throat constricts around words that refuse to come. The hollow feeling intensifies, a chilling reminder that outside these walls, my safety is as fragile as the quiet that now envelops me.

"Let's get you ready to leave then," she says, her tone upbeat, attempting to pierce the gloom that's settled over the room.

But as I swing my legs off the bed, steadying myself against the mattress, I can't shake the emptiness that grips me. Each step feels like wading through treacle, the world beyond this room a vast unknown.

As my feet touch the cold floor, I realize that nothing—not the buzz of anxious reporters nor the promise of my own bed—can fill the void left by the silence of the heart monitor. It was more than a machine; it was a testament to my survival.

And now, I must find a way to remind myself that I am alive, without it.

The cotton of my shirt brushes against my skin, an alien softness compared to the sterile hospital gown I've grown accustomed to. I tug at the hem, trying to get comfortable in what used to be my favorite pair of sweatpants, now just another piece of normalcy that doesn't fit right anymore.

"Are you ready?" The nurse's voice is gentle, but there's an undercurrent of insistence.

I nod, feeling a pang of loss for the security of my hospital bed. She wheels over the chair, and I lower myself into it with her help. Lori opens the door wide, her blonde hair glinting in the harsh fluorescent lighting of the corridor. Her blue eyes scan the hall, vigilant as she steps out to clear the way.

"Let's go," she says, her voice steady but betraying a hint of unease that mirrors my own.

We make our way to the elevator, the wheels of the chair whispering across the linoleum. The rhythm is soothing compared to the silence that now fills my ears, the absence of beeping that had been my constant companion.

As we round the corner, he's there—Officer Kotowski, the man who took my statement, the man who knows more about my ordeal than anyone else should. He stands tall, his presence imposing yet oddly reassuring.

"Good morning," he greets, peering down at me with eyes full of something I can't quite place. Concern? Duty?

"Morning." My voice wavers as I offer a half-hearted smile, still struggling to reconcile the man before me with the reality that I'm actually leaving this place.

He falls into step beside us, his footsteps echoing alongside the hum of the overhead lights. Lori glances at him, her movements sharp and purposeful.

"Is everything set up at the house?" There's an edge to her question, a mother's need to protect.

"Yes ma'am. Your son let us in to look around, and everything was fine." His assurance does little to assuage the worry etched into her face.

"Everything better be fine." Her words are clipped, her gaze flickering over him, searching for any sign of doubt, any hint that she should remain on high alert.

His expression remains stoic, unreadable, but there's a flicker in his eye that suggests he understands more than he lets on. It's a look that says he's seen things, things he wishes he could forget—a look I recognize all too well.

"Thank you," Lori says after a tense moment, her gratitude genuine though she remains unconvinced.

"Of course," he replies, his voice solid like the ground beneath us. And for a fleeting second, I allow myself to believe that maybe, just maybe, everything will indeed be fine.

The metallic whisper of the elevator doors sliding shut cocoons us in a temporary sanctuary from the world outside. The descent feels like a countdown, each floor passed bringing me closer to a reality I'm not sure I'm ready to face.

Officer Kotowski's voice slices through the silence. "I know you wanted as much privacy as possible, but the announcement of your discharge has gotten around." He turns to us, his brown eyes somber. "Local news stations and other representatives are waiting outside to catch a glimpse of you."

I grip the armrests of the wheelchair, my pulse quickening at the thought of facing a barrage of cameras and questions. The beeping monitors of my hospital room seem like a lullaby compared to the cacophony awaiting me.

"Once we get outside, they will be flashing pictures and yelling out questions. I recommend you keep your head down and say nothing because this is an active investigation." His advice is practical, yet it makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter wildly.

Lori's response is sharp, her irritation palpable. "There should be no investigation necessary. Those men did what they did, and they should be locked away." Her blue eyes flash with a mother's fury, her blonde hair framing her face like a lioness' mane.

The officer sighs, his patience thinning. "As I explained earlier, all involvement needs to be proved in court. When they post bail, I cannot hold them any longer than 24 hours." He runs a hand through his hair, a gesture that speaks volumes of the weariness he must feel.

The elevator chimes its arrival at the ground floor, and the doors part to reveal our next obstacle. Beyond the safety of the hospital walls lies a gauntlet of eager reporters. They swarm outside the revolving glass door, their silhouettes armed with cameras and microphones like modern-day gladiators ready for battle.

Officer Kotowski moves ahead, his posture one of protective readiness. "We have a car waiting outside to take you home," he says over his shoulder, his voice reassuring despite the chaos that awaits.

"Please, let me walk out by myself," I insist to the nurse, who hesitates only a moment before acquiescing. My feet touch the cool tile, and I push myself up from the wheelchair, a wave of dizziness threatening to topple me. But Lori is there, her arm a steady support.

"Careful," she murmurs, her concern wrapped in a firm grip on my elbow.

With determination, I step forward into the revolving door, following the officer's lead. The clamor from outside grows louder, the reporters stirring like a nest of hornets disturbed. With practiced authority, Officer Kotowski pushes them back, clearing a path amidst the chaos.

My heart hammers in my chest as we emerge into the blinding light of day, the air filled with the scent of city life and the sound of insistent voices clamoring for a piece of my story. It's a frenzy I never asked for, a spotlight that shines far too brightly on wounds still fresh.

"Keep moving," Lori whispers, her strength guiding me through the storm of attention and into the haven of the waiting car. The world outside becomes a blur as we leave the hospital behind, but the flashing cameras and shouted questions lingers, a stark reminder of the scrutiny that now colors my every move.

As the officer forms a human shield on my other side, his presence is both comforting and claustrophobic. Cameras flash from all angles, and I can almost feel the heat of the reporters' breath as they lob their questions like grenades.

"Can you comment on anything that has happened?" The man's voice pierces the air; his microphone invades my space before Kevin's hand bats it away with a swift, protective motion.

"Anything to say to the men that did this to you?" The woman behind me sounds almost hungry for an answer, but Lori is quicker, her voice laced with maternal ferocity.

"She has no comment on anything." She plants her hand in front of my face, attempting to shield me from the relentless paparazzi. With each step, we move faster toward the SUV, its dark form a promise of escape.

"Will you be joining the others for a televised interview?" comes another question, just as the SUV door slams shut, cutting off the cacophony of voices. Inside the vehicle, I finally exhale, my breath fogging the tinted windows.

I keep my head down, the leather of the seat cool against my palms. The engine hums to life and we pull away, the frenzied crowd outside becoming nothing more than a blur. The sun glares down, casting long shadows across the pavement where people walk freely, oblivious to the turmoil churning within me.

How could it be possible for all those men to post bail? The thought gnaws at my mind, an uncomfortable puzzle missing pieces. It's a stark reminder of the resources at their disposal, of the power they still hold despite being caught.

My gaze drifts to Lori, her profile etched with concern and determination. Her blonde hair glints in the sunlight streaming through the window, her blue eyes fixed ahead, not yet ready to meet mine. I wonder if she feels it too—the weight of unanswered questions and silent fears that linger between us.

The SUV crawls to a stop, its tires crunching the gravel of our driveway. I sit for a moment, hands clenching and unclenching in my lap, gazing out at the white house that has never looked so welcoming. A sigh escapes me as I spot the familiar porch, the windows reflecting the afternoon light like beacons of normalcy.

"Home," I whisper to myself, the word tasting sweet and safe on my tongue.

The driver's door opens and shuts, and then my own is swung open. I hesitate, gathering the strength to step into a world that now feels altered. My feet find the ground, the pebbles pressing against the soles of my shoes. It's real—I'm home.

"Hey there, sis." Ron's voice pulls me from my reverie, and I lift my eyes to see him standing on the porch. His brown hair is tousled, his green eyes glistening with unspoken emotion. The black boot on his injured leg doesn't dampen the warmth of his smile.

Relief flooded through me as he makes his way down to me, each step careful but determined.

He wraps his arms around me, and it's as though nothing has changed. His hug is a fortress, his presence an anchor. I lean into him, allowing the familiarity to seep into my bones. We are silent, the words unnecessary.

"Let's get you inside," he murmurs after a moment, releasing me only to slip under my arm, using me for support. Lori trails behind us, her blue eyes scanning the surroundings, a sentinel ever watchful. The officer follows suit, his expression grave.

The coolness of the house envelops us as we cross the threshold. There's a finality to the sound of the door closing behind us—an end to one ordeal, the beginning of recovery.

"Here, let me help with that," the officer says, reaching for my hospital bag from Lori's grasp. His movements are brisk, professional.

I reach out, my fingers brushing the fabric of the duffle. "It's okay, I can take my bag upstairs."

But he doesn't relent, pulling the bag just out of reach. "Actually, I have to check your room anyway. Which room is it?" His tone brooks no argument, yet it's gentle, an undercurrent of understanding beneath the formality.

I frown slightly, taken aback by the intrusion yet again. "I'll show you," I say, my voice steady despite the flutter of unease in my chest.

We ascend the stairs, Ron lifted his weight off of me, allowing me to ascend the stairs using nothing but the railing for support. Each step feels monumental, a climb toward reclaiming the life that was nearly stolen from me.

"Second door on the right," I instruct the officer once we reach the hallway. My hand hovers over the doorknob, coated in silver that gleams under the hall light. It feels strange, this sense of ceremony over something as mundane as entering my own bedroom.

He nods, stepping ahead of me to push the door open. He moves past me into the room, his presence filling the space as I linger in the doorway. My arms fold over my chest, a mix of defense and exasperation tightening around me. He bends to peer under the bed, sweeps open closet doors, and steps out onto the balcony, his eyes darting for any sign of danger. The thoroughness is both reassuring and suffocating.

"It's all clear," he declares, straightening up and meeting my gaze, his brown eyes scanning my face for a reaction.

I can't help it; I roll my eyes slightly. "I figured as much," I murmur, stepping fully into my room now that it's been deemed safe.

He pauses before leaving, turning back to me. His expression softens, just a touch, an attempt at empathy from behind the badge. "I know it's going to be difficult on you for a while but try to get back to our normal routine. We are all going through a lot to ensure your safety."

I reach down and lift the duffle bag, its weight grounding me. I place it on the quilted bedspread, my movements deliberate. When I look up, my voice is steady but holds an edge. "Nothing about this is ever going to be normal."

There's a moment where his resolve falters, a flicker of sadness—or is it frustration?—and then he nods once, turning away. He pulls the door shut with a quiet click, sealing me inside my reclaimed fortress.

The officer's footsteps recede, and finally, I am alone. With a deep breath, I let myself sink onto the edge of my bed, the mattress embracing me like an old friend. I close my eyes, my mind teetering between past horrors and the hope of healing.

The silence that settles is heavy, charged with a thousand unspoken promises of security and the echo of a life interrupted. My heart throbs painfully against my ribcage, a reminder that despite the stillness, it continues to beat—a defiant drum in the face of my fears.

The weight of the duffle bag seems to mock me as I heave it onto the bed, its contents a disheveled reminder of my interrupted life. My fingers hover over the zipper, but instead, I propel it away with a flick of my wrist, watching as it collapses in a heap on the floor. A wave of frustration washes through me, and I surrender to gravity, letting my body fall back onto the mattress.

At once, the cool softness of the sheets contrasts with the harsh chill of concrete that had been my bed in captivity. I close my eyes, allowing the luxury of my bedding to envelop me—a queen in an unwitting exile from normalcy. The ceiling above paints a blank canvas of white, a stark difference from the shadows that clung to corners in that cramped cell.

Inhaling deeply, lavender invades my senses, a fragrant balm meant to soothe frayed nerves. Beside me, the new candle flickers its silent dance, casting quivering shadows against the wall. It's a scent that should feel like home, yet now it's just another layer to this strange new reality.

My mind races, unbidden images flitting past—Derek's black hair, the muscle beneath his clothing, the way he moved with a confidence that now feels like deceit. Doubt gnaws at me; the very idea that his identity might be a lie sets my pulse racing anew. I fumble for the certainty that eluded me, grasping at questions I ache to ask him. Why? How could you?

The vulnerability of not knowing who to trust looms larger within these four walls than it ever did while I was their prisoner. The necklace, my family's heirloom, its absence a tangible void around my neck, intensifies the sense of loss. Its whereabouts remain a mystery, adding to the turmoil that churns inside me.

But slowly, the peace of my room begins to work its subtle magic. The warmth of my quilt draws out the cold that had settled deep in my bones, coaxing my heart into a reluctant rhythm of calm. Here, surrounded by the tangible memories of a life before chaos, I find a fragile haven.

I let the stillness hold me, a counterpoint to the persistent drum of fear that has become my constant companion. The outside world falls away, leaving only the soft whisper of my own breath and the gentle creaks of the house.

Time stretches and bends, hours condensing into moments, until finally, my eyelids flutter shut. In the sanctuary of my room, sleep claims me, a merciful reprieve from the questions and the fears, if only for a little while.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

709K 35.9K 61
Ashlyn hasn't spoken a word since the age of eight, and her heart's never felt more protected. But, when the confident and ever so charming Derek stu...
152K 5.5K 19
When Ezra saw her, he couldn't believe it. She couldn't be his mate. He already had one. There was some mistake. This was just some sick joke. It had...
6.6M 179K 37
PAPERBACK ON AMAZON! ❝You're mine. Understand? And if I see you look at a guy the same way you look at me, I'll kill him. And I'll fuck you with his...
22K 690 49
Highest Ranks : #1 & #2 in Badboyseries #1 in Cancerpatient #1 in Cancersurvivor || Completed & Edited || ❧ "Please don't leave me. I-I-I-I'm scared...