One Foot in the Grave: An Alm...

ShantiKrishnamurty tarafından

Vampires, and hell-hounds, and misfits, oh my! Isis is a typical teenager...until she's not. When her boyfrie... Daha Fazla

Chapter One: And so it begins
Chapter Two: Church is for Saviors
CHAPTER THREE: JUST CALL ME 'HANDY'
Chapter Four: Is This Really a Church?
Chapter Five: In Which I Learn What I am
Chapter Six: It's a Date!
CHAPTER SEVEN: MS. POPULARITY? NAH.
CHAPTER EIGHT: THE WRATH OF MOM.
CHAPTER NINE: THE HUNT BEGINS
Breakdown, it's all Right.
Eleven: It's a Witchy-Witch
Twelve: What Fresh Hell is This?
Chapter Thirteen: Inka, Binka, Bottle of Ink.
Chapter Fourteen: Cap'n, There be Monsters Here.
Chapter Fifteen: Tuesday Night's Alright for Fightin'.
Chapter Sixteen: I suck.
Chapter Seventeen: The Blair Lich Project
Eighteen: One of These Spells is Not Like the Other.
Nineteen: Paying the Piper
Chapter Twenty: Hot Dogs and Chicken
Twenty-One: Who Let the Dog Out?
Chapter Twenty-Two: Everything Does Not Taste Like Chicken
Chapter Twenty-Three: What Do You Want on Your Tombstone?
Chapter Twenty-Four: Holy Hell Hound, Batman!
Chapter Twenty-Five: We're Nothin' More Than Stone Soup
Chapter Twenty-Six: Crow and Humble Pie
Chapter Twenty-Seven: What Lies Beneath
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Something Pissed off This Way Comes
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Fight! Fight! Fight!
Chapter Thirty: Could Be Worse
Chapter Thirty-One: Zombie, Heal Thyself
Chapter Thirty-Two: Ouch, That Kinda Hurts!
Chapter Thirty-Three: Help! I Need Somebody
Chapter Thirty-Four: Rut-Roh
Chapter Thirty-Five: Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To The Lich We Go
Chapter Thirty-Six: Experimentation is the Name of the Game
Chapter Thirty-Seven: I Kind of Wanted to Eat That...
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Feed Me, Seymour!
Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Future so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades!
Chapter Forty-One: And Miles to go Before I Sleep
Chapter Forty-Two: Vampire, Meet Thy Maker
Chapter Forty-Three: Yet Another Thing to do
Chapter Forty-Four: A Life by Any Other Name...

Chapter Forty: It's Meat, Flavored with...Meat!

8 5 0
ShantiKrishnamurty tarafından

"Whose tomb is this?"

"Does it matter?" Andrew asks, stepping out from behind a huge stone candle holder. "It was overgrown and Father Moss said I could use it."

"We should go to Nacelles as soon as possible," Maxx says.

"Wait," Andrew says, "I think Isis needs to know why—"

I hold my index finger up to my lips and he subsides. Maxx twists the air and just like that, we're standing in my parking garage. Thankfully, it's empty. I turn to Andrew.

"Okay, now tell me everything you weren't telling me before" I say. "And I mean everything, Andrew. Including the stuff you haven't said."

"The vampire who turned me wasn't supposed to," he says. "I was food."

There must've been stupid pills mixed in with my brains. "Huh?"

"I was food, Isis. Good enough to drain, but not good enough to be immortal."

Maxx seems to understand my confusion. "It is customary that food is never turned."

Andrew wilts a bit.

"That's pretty harsh," I say, petting Maxx's soft ears.

He sits at my feet and tilts his head up. "You misunderstand. It is an unspoken rule that has been in place since the creation of the first vampire. It was not a judgment against him."

"But it's not Andrew's fault he got turned!" I argue.

"Isis, I am only the messenger. You need to convince Nacelles Caldmer to speak on Andrew's behalf to the Master Vampire. That is the only way to call off the hunt."

I'm tempted to say 'Why me?' but I'm pretty sure it won't help. I just close my eyes for a minute. "Fine. Maxx, can you take us directly to Nacelles?"

"I can," he replies. "But you stated that you have an errand to run."

I nod. "I do. I'd drive us, but you won't fit. My car isn't exactly big."

"I can shrink down further, if it is necessary." He's not pleased at the idea, though. His ears are down and his normally round with curiosity Great Dane eyes are droopy, a sure sign of his unhappiness.

I pet his head. "Trust me, it is."

He shivers and some sort of spaniel is standing in front of me. I'm not expert enough in dogs to know the exact breed, but he's got long droopy ears and a wonderful coat.

"That'll work," I say.

"Where'd all your weight go?" Andrew asks.

"I cannot contract all my mass," Maxx explains. "This body weighs as much as the Great Dane did."

Yikes. That's one heavy spaniel, but at least he doesn't weigh in at eighteen hundred pounds anymore. He'd break the suspension on my car otherwise. "I need to go to the Farmer's Market before the club, Andrew."

My ex raises his eyebrow at me.

"I owe someone there a couple of rib-eyes. It's kind of out of our way, but I wouldn't feel right not bringing them. Besides, he might not let us in otherwise."

Maxx tilts his head.

"I'll leave the window rolled down," I promise. I don't feel like explaining to Andrew about Tucker. Some things need to be experienced to be believed. And yes, I did just say that. Andrew doesn't say a word when we reach my car. He just climbs into the front seat and buckles his seatbelt. Safety first. Maxx clambers across Andrew's lap and into the back, where he sits upright on the seat and stares first at the seatbelt, then at me.

"Maxx, I'm not buckling you in. You're a dog." Sheesh, has he never ridden in a car before?

"I am a hell hound," he replies. "There is a difference."

"Right now, at this very minute, you're a spaniel," I say. "Besides, I don't have a special harness for you. It wouldn't work."

"Isn't the Farmer's Market in the opposite direction as the club?" Andrew asks.

I get into the front seat and insert the key in the ignition. It turns over without a hitch. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's to baby my car. The Marta's great for the short term, but no-one who's lived in Atlanta for a long time wants to use it for, say, grocery shopping and stuff.

"It'll just take a minute. You and Maxx can keep each other company."

"I need to get this done, Isis."

I'm about ready to snap at him, but then catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye. He looks scared.

"I'll be as fast as I can," I promise, easing the Bug into traffic. "But things'll go a lot easier if I have rib-eyes. Trust me."

I expect Andrew to say something snarky, but he just leans his head back on the seat and closes his eyes. "Just make sure I'm back before daybreak," he says.

This time I do roll my eyes. After all, he can't see me, and even if he could, what's he going to say? He's the one who came to me for help. Does he seriously think I'm going to let him burst into flames?

It's pretty much a straight shot down 75 South to 285 North, then off the freeway at East Ponce to the market itself. There's not much traffic now, which is perfect, since The Farmer's Market closes at nine.

"What sort of a market is this?" Maxx asks. "I see no farmers."

"It's like a giant grocery store," Andrew doesn't even open his eyes. "Except that instead of normal stuff, they have a huge produce section. It's got all kinds of vegetables from around the world and different kinds of meat."

"I'll only be a sec," I say. I open the door, slamming it shut behind me. I'm not mad or anything, but if I don't use force, sometimes the door sticks.

Maxx barks at me, but I ignore him. I'm just grateful he's not shouting out the car window something like, 'I want chicken!' That'd turn some heads.

I miss buying food at the Farmer's Market. The fruits and vegetables always seem to last longer than from anywhere else. Also, it's food without the middle man; pretty much from farmer to table. In short, it's hippie heaven.

I make the run as fast as possible. I don't eat anything normal anymore, so it's easy to stay away from the entire right side of the warehouse sized...ummm...warehouse. The meat section is a lot harder to resist. After all, it's raw meat. Counter upon counter of juicy, oozing steaks, ground beef, ostrich, turkey legs...Oooo...I pause and grab a turkey leg for Maxx. The man behind the counter just smiles at me — I think it's a default reaction because he does it to the woman right behind me, too. Ah well, I know I'm not pretty anymore. It kind of sucks, but there it is. Next up is the rib-eyes. I wait for my turn. Why're there so many people in the meat department so close to closing, anyway?

"Who's next?"

I raise my hand and step forward, but a woman tries shoving her way past me. "Excuse me," she mutters, not sorry.

"I was here first," I say.

She turns toward me, but something in my glare stops her in her tracks. "I—I'm sorry," she says instead, stepping away from me. "I didn't see you."

We both know it's a lie, but I just shrug and turn back to the counter. "I need two of the largest rib-eyes you've got."

He raises his eyebrow at me. Okay, I know I'm only around 5'0" and, in this stage of the game it's doubtful I'll grow any more, but staring at me isn't going to help.

"Bone in or bone out?"

"Bone in, please."

He weighs out two steaks and I darn near expire at the price. $30.05. Tucker better appreciate these. And I better get to see Nacelles whenever I want from now until eternity. I get the meat, take it to the cashier, pay my bill, and hightail it out to the car, where I find Maxx and Andrew deep in conversation.

"...but he's a magician," Andrew is protesting.

"A magician, not a miracle worker." Maxx's nose flares. "Isisss, what is that?"

"The steaks are for Tucker, so paws off," I answer even as I dig into the bag and get out the turkey leg. "This one's for you." I hold it out to him, blink once, and while I'm busy blinking, Maxx nabs it. I feel his warm doggy breath as the weight of the leg leaves my palm. Then the car's suspension groans, and Maxx the Great Dane is laying across the backseat, cracking the bone in two. I guess he likes turkey...

"It is not chicken," he says.

"No," I agree. "It's not. And why did you change form again?"

"It is much better than chicken," he replies, "and the spaniel is not my favorite form."

Well, then... "I'm glad you like the turkey," I say. "It's smoked, though, which gives it a whole different flavor than regular turkey."

"I am glad I am staying above ground," Maxx says. "I do not think I would experience such things with Nacelles Caldmer."

I have to agree with him. I mean, the lich seems cool, but I don't think he's one to go out of his way to help Maxx try out new food. Poor hound had never tasted chicken before, and he's how old?

"Now that the touchy-feely stuff is over, can we get on with solving my problem?" Andrew whines.

"Sure." I turn the ignition on, pull out of the parking lot and back onto the freeway. Blood Bank, here we come.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.2K 107 13
As if the thought of getting caught by Tate didn't scare her enough, what surely scared her was the thick silence in the air. When had the woods beco...
5.7K 41 27
Jaci Garcia just wants to be normal. Have a normal family, friends, and day to day routine but all that's kind of hard to do with died parents. Being...
16.6K 546 33
A long time ago a prince was cursed by a witch. His only hope of being human was finding a girl that would love him for who he really is. Not just be...
230K 10.2K 44
Werewolves and Vampires is the story of, you guessed it, werewolves and vampires. Lila Silver had been a pretty normal girl until her sixteenth birth...