The Reason Why

Por melxfairchild

''A song can heal and speak when there are no words to say.'' This is the story behind the famous country mus... Mais

Chapter 1: Don't Waste My Time
Chapter 2: Everything Changes
Chapter 3: Kiss Goodbye
Chapter 4: Tryin'
Chapter 6: Never Felt Love
Chapter 7: Little White Church
Chapter 8: Somewhere Far Away
Chapter 9: You Can't Have Everything
Chapter 10: Evangeline
Chapter 11: Front Porch Thing part 1
Chapter 12: Front Porch Thing part 2
Chapter 13: Mean Streak
Chapter 14: You're Gonna Love Me
Chapter 15: Bones
Chapter 16: Live With Lonesome part 1
Chapter 17: Live With Lonesome part 2
Chapter 18: A Place To Land
Chapter 19: From This Dream
Chapter 20: Runaway Train
Chapter 21: Girl Crush part 1
Chapter 22, Girl Crush part 2
Chapter 23: Quit Breaking Up With Me
Chapter 24: Live Forever

Chapter 5: Good As Gone

816 7 0
Por melxfairchild

2005

Octorber 15, Kimberly’s birthday. The girls went shopping and in the evening Karen cooked for Kimberly and a friend of her, Stephen ‘Schlap’ Schlapman, who supported Kimberly a lot after Steven died. 

‘What are you going to cook for us?’ Kimberly asked. 

‘Lobster.’ Karen replied. ‘If that’s alright. Does Schlap likes lobster?’ 

‘Yes.’ Kimberly’s happy. Karen thought. She loves to see Kimberly happy. It’s been a hard year for her. Schlap is a huge support for her. 

‘Thank you so much for doing this Kiki.’ Kimberly gave Karen a hug. 

‘No worries, girl, I do everything to make you happy.’ She said. She didn’t told Kimberly about what happened between Jimi and her three weeks ago but what she not knows is that Kimberly already knows it. She decided to tell it Kimberly after her birthday, she is just scared to lose her. She never lied to her. ‘Something’s wrong?’ Kimberly asked. 

‘Of course not.’ Karen smiled to Kimberly. ‘Hey why don’t you just dress up, I’ll take care here.’ 

‘If you say so. You sure know I don’t have to help?’ Karen nodded. ‘Don’t blow up the kitchen please.’ Kimberly yelled. 

‘I’ll try.’ Karen laughed.

Thirty minutes later Kimberly walked into the living room where Karen was reading a magazine. 

‘Kiki help me I don’t know what to wear.’ Karen turned around and saw that Kimberly brought more than eight dresses downstairs. 

‘Ah, sweetie. You’re nervous aren’t you?’ she nodded and started to cry. 

‘Hey girl what’s wrong. Come take a seat.’ 

‘I… I… I think I’m a bit in love with Schlap’ Karen started to smile. 

‘Nothing’s wrong with that. We all have those feelings.’ 

‘but… I’m married to Steven.’ 

‘Honey, Steven died…’ 

‘I know, but it feels like I’m cheating on him. It’s not that long ago… and I’m just struggling with those feelings for two weeks already and… I didn’t told you and I feel so guilty about it but I’m also ashamed of it. Help me, Karen, I don’t know what to do.’ 

Why is she so damn honest? Karen thought. I had to do the same, two years ago already.  

‘It may sound hard, but Steven is in Heaven. He’ll always know that you love him but you also have to move on. There is always someone who makes you happy in life. You need to share this life with that person. If Schlap is this person then you have to go for it. Not lying to everyone for two years.’ Kimberly lifted up one eyebrow. 

‘What do you mean with the last one?’ 

‘Nothing, just an example.’ Kimberly hugged Karen. ‘

Thank you Kiki. I love you.’ 

‘I love you too Kim, I love you too.’ Kimberly doesn’t notice that there streams a tear down Karen’s face.

‘Hi Schlap.’ Karen said. 

‘Hi Karen.’ They gave each other three kisses on the cheek. ‘Where’s the birthday girl?’ Karen pointed to the living room. 

‘Right behind that door.’ Schlap walked into the room with a huge pie while he sang ‘’happy birthday’’. Karen heard Kimberly giggling. She walked into the room with champagne. She saw that Kimberly hugged Schlap. They are a cute couple she thinks while she was filling three glasses with champagne. 

‘Here we go!’ she shouted and gave Kimberly and Schlap their drinks. 

‘On Kimberly!’ Schlap yelled. 

‘On Kimberly!’ Karen repeated… and myself let’s get drunk she thought.

Schlap touched Karen’s shoulder. 

‘Yes?’ she looked up. 

‘Eh, Karen. I want to tell something to Kimberly, something private. You’ll know it soon but…’ 

‘I don’t need any excuses, Schlap. I’ll leave for some minutes.’ She stood up and grabbed her coat and took a seat on the back porch outside. It was cold, but she likes it. It helps against her headache. Like she promised herself she would get drunk. She was wondering what Schlap wants to tell Kim. I think he loves her back. I hope so, Kimberly could use some love. Real love, no love from her best friend who’s a liar. Karen had been struggling with this feeling for more than a year, she finally thought it stopped but it came  back. She was pretending the chat in her head from Kimberly and her when she will explain her behavior to Kimberly, soon, when the door got open. 

‘Oh my God, Karen, you never guess what just happened!’ Kimberly yelled. Enjoy the last moments with your best friend. 

‘Tell me.’ Kimberly took a seat next to Karen. 

‘Schlap and I just… we kissed!’ she was shocked about what she said. ‘oh gussie, this is so stupid what did I do?’  tears showed up in her eyes. 

‘That’s amazing!’ Karen shouted. ‘I ’know you feel guilty but you have to move on girl. I know sure Steven wants that too.’ 

‘you think so?’ 

‘Yes! Where’s Schlap now?’ 

‘He left. He told me that he fell in love with me too. I said I did the same and we kissed. Then he asked if it was a little too early, which I couldn’t reply. He told me that I have to think about it and call him soon. It’s up to me.’ 

‘That’s so sweet!’ Karen said. Kimberly put her head on Karen’s shoulder. ‘Should I call him?’ Karen nodded. ‘You really should, believe me.’ 

‘Then I’ll do it.’

Five days later it was Jimi’s birthday. He invited the band to celebrate it with some old friends from Birmingham. 

‘Karen, what are you doing?’ Kimberly yelled  from downstairs. 

‘I’m coming.’ Karen appeared in the living room. Kimberly whistled. 

‘Pretty girl.’ 

‘Is it too much?’ Kimberly shook her head. 

‘I actually think so.’ Karen looked down, she was wearing a very short dark blue strapless dress with black high heels.

‘Why are you dressed like you’re going to a premiere?’ 

‘You see, you don’t like it.’ 

‘Kiki! I didn’t said that you look fabulous I’m just wondering it.’ Karen started to cry and walked to Kimberly. 

‘What’s wrong sweetie?’ The girls hugged eachother. 

‘Kim, I have to tell you something. You will not like it for sure.’ Kimberly looked shocked. They took a seat on the couch. 

‘I… I’ve been in love with Jimi for a long time.’ Silence. Karen looked surprised. ‘What? No hate. You don’t scream? What’s wrong with you? You’re supposed to be angry at me.’ 

‘Karen, was this bothering you for all those weeks?’ Karen nodded. ‘

Yes. I’m sorry, I never wanted to lie to you… I just got stuck up with those feelings. I don’t want to be in love with Jimi! It’s impossible because of the band. But… he’s so cute!’ Kimberly started to giggle. 

‘That’s my Karen.’ She hugged her. ‘Did you really think I was mad at you? Because of this? Of course not! It are your feelings. I don’t expect that you tell me every single detail of your life.’ 

‘Really? Oh my God, Kimberly, I was so scared to lose you!’ 

‘You’ll never lose me. I’m like an annoying bug, I’ll never stop annoying you.’ She laughed.

‘You never annoy me.’ 

‘You know, I actually knew you liked Jimi.’ 

‘How do you know?’ 

‘Three weeks ago. Come on, like I didn’t heard you two!’ Karen started to blush. ‘oh my God stop!’ they both had to giggle. 

‘Jimi’s party started an hour ago, shouldn’t we leave?’ 

‘I’m scared.’ 

‘Scared? Why?’ 

‘I… told Jimi I don’t want to continue our relationship until I told it to you. By person.’ 

‘What? Where are you waiting for? It’s his birthday! Suprice him.’

Fifteen minutes later they arrive at the bar where Jimi invited them. 

‘I’m nervous.’ Karen whispered. 

‘You don’t have to, come on.’ Kimberly grabbed Karen’s hand and took her inside. 

‘Here we are!’ She yelled. ‘Happy birthday Jimi!’ Right at that moment they see Jimi kissing another girl.

‘You stay.’ Kimberly grabbed Karen’s hand. 

‘Let me go.’ Karen whispered. 

‘No, you can’t run away from the truth Karen. You’re not a little kid anymore. Don’t run away from your fears.’ 

‘Who are you? My mother?’ 

‘Today? Yes I am. Come on.’ The girls walked to Jimi. 

‘Happy birthday.’ They both said and gave Jimi three kisses on his cheek. ‘Looking good, Karen!’ Rebecca said. 

‘Thank you, Becky.’ Karen took a seat next to Rebecca and started to talk about Karen’s dress. 

‘Uh, guys. Can I have your attention please?’ Everybody was looking at Jimi. ‘These are my old friends from Birmingham.’ He introduced the band to his friends. The girl Jimi kissed is called Cassadee. She looks pretty, long brown curly hair, and green eyes. She looks a bit like Karen.  While everybody had fun, Karen was checking out Cassadee. Jimi was flirting with her the whole time but she didn’t really gave attention to it. If she didn’t kissed MY man, I would probably like her. Karen thought. 

‘Kiki? Hello?’ Kimberly said. 

‘What?’ 

‘Do you want something to drink?’ 

‘Eh, yes please. Wine is okay.’ 

‘Are you okay?’ Kimberly said to Karen without making any noise. She nodded. ‘May I have everybody’s attention please?’ Phillip stood up. 

‘I… eh… Becky and I.’ 

‘We’re engaged!’ Rebecca finished. 

‘Oh my gosh really?’ Karen hugged Rebecca. ‘I’m so happy for you two.’ She walked to Phillip and hugged him too. 

‘You picked out a good one, Philly.’ She said. 

‘I know.’ Phillip smiled. Everybody was yelling. 

‘Well, then I have something to say too.’ Kimberly said. 

‘It’s been a hard year for me, and thank y’all for supporting me. You guys don’t know what it meant for me, but… I did met a guy. I actually didn’t wanted to like him because it felt like I’m cheating on Steven but I just can’t ignore it.’ Kimberly kissed Schlap, who came an hour after the girls. Everybody started to clap. There rolled a tear down Phillip’s face. 

‘Rebecca, do you realize that you’re going to marry the biggest softie in the world?’ Jimi shouted. They all started to laugh. 

‘The whole LBT clan was, boom, single and now, boom, all in love. How about Kiki?’ Phillip said. 

‘I…eh…’ Karen looked to Jimi, who looked away. She stood up and ram to the ladies room. 

‘Kiki wait!’ Kimberly shouted and followed Karen. 

‘What’s wrong with Karen?’ Rebecca asks. ‘Damn.’ Jimi says. Everybody looks at him. He sighs. 

‘Karen!’ Kimberly hugged Karen who was crying. 

‘He’s gone.’ She whispered.‘How could I be so stupid? Did you saw how he kissed Cassadee?’ 

‘Yes, I saw that.’ Kimberly said. ‘But he loves you! He’s in love with you for over two years! Three weeks ago he was desperate, he can’t be in love with another girl in those three weeks, not after those years of loving you.’ 

‘What do you say?’ Karen looked shocked. 

‘Karen, A month ago Jimi came to me, he was desperate. He told me he’s been in love with you for two years, longer. He loves you like crazy! The day we would have a drink at the bar was a plan, a plan from me to bring you together. After Mark you just needed to have a date again. And it worked! But then you didn’t wanted to continue the relationship and Jimi was broken I swear. All those times I knew it.’ Kimberly had to admit. 

‘Wait, you knew it? And you didn’t told me?’ 

‘I promised Jimi, please don’t be mad!’ 

‘Of course I’m not mad at you, it’s just… crazy! Two years are you kidding me?’ ‘No, it’s the truth.’ 

‘I eh… can you please leave me alone for a minute? I need to  think.’ 

‘Why don’t you go outside, take a breath and then come back.’ 

‘Okay.’ The girls left the ladies room. 

‘Where’s Karen going too?’ Phillip asked. 

‘Nowhere, just walking around outside. She doesn’t feel very well.’ 

‘Poor girl.’ At that moment Jimi stood up and ran to Karen. 

‘Karen!’  he yelled. She turned around. Her eyes were filled with tears. 

‘I love you.’ 

‘Then why did you kissed Cassadee?’ she yelled back. 

‘I… Karen listen, I wanted to make you jealous. I want you, only you! I don’t like Cassadee at all! And she doesn’t like me.’ 

‘Why should I believe you?’ 

‘Because he tells the truth.’ Cassadee stood in the door gate. ‘Karen, believe me. He’s not in love with me, he is in love with you. I know this for like a year, he called me once last December to tell me that he likes you.’ 

‘Karen.’ Jimi said. ‘You’re the most beautiful girl in the world. You make me complete.’ Tears streamed down Karen’s face. 

‘I love you too.’ She said. They rab to eachother. Like in a romantic movie Jimi lifted up Karen and they kissed. 

‘I thought I lost you.’ She whispered.  

‘You’ll never lose me again.’ Karen saw that Kimberly joined Cassadee in the door gate and a tear streamed down her face. Jimi and Karen went inside. They noticed that Phillip was still crying and Rebecca had tears in her eyes. ‘Now everybody’s happy.’ Jimi said.

‘So, you’re in love with me for two years?’ Karen said. 

It’s two months after Jimi’s birthday. 

‘How do you know? Oh, wait. Kimberly.’ 

‘She told it the night of you birthday.’ Karen explained. 

‘It’s okay. I’m glad everything is okay now.’ Jimi said. 

‘Same.’ They smiled to eachother. Jimi invited Karen for a dinner in the park. 

‘I have to tell you something.’ Karen started. 

‘Tell me.’ 

‘I, eh, Mark and I got divorced because… I was in love with you. I said I didn’t liked him anymore. I know I said that we grew apart but… that’s the truth. You have to know it.’ 

‘Does Kim knows it?’ 

‘Yes, I told her everything the night of your birthday.’ 

‘Then it’s okay. Let’s get some tunes on.’ He put on the music, Everlasting Love. Karen started to laugh. 

‘What?’ Jimi asked. 

‘this song.’ 

‘Don’t you like it?’ 

‘I do. It’s a sweet song.’ 

‘You’re sweet. Want to dance?’ He grabbed Karen’s hand.

‘you look beautiful.’ Jimi said. He looked at Karen’s dress, a simple white one with a light brown belt and cowboy boots in the same color. 

‘So do you.’ Karen smiled. Suddenly Jimi left  Karen. What the heck? She thought. Then he came back.

‘Come.’ He grabbed her hand and takes her to the lake. There were more than twenty candle lights in a circle. 

‘What’s this?’ Karen started to giggle. Jimi grabbed both of Karen’s hand. 

‘Karen Fairchild, you are the most beautiful, funny, honest and cutest person I know. You just complete me, you’re my soul mate. So… I’m asking you…’ Jimi sat down on one knee. 

‘Oh my God!’ Karen shouted. 

‘Do you want to marry me?’ 

‘YES! Yes, I do!’ She jumped into Jimi’s arms and they start to kiss.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2.3K 95 19
Once there was a happy little girl, she thought her life was perfect. Then death happened and due to certain circumstances she was left broken and lo...
189 1 23
When you've told yourself that you've had enough and that you're better off. Think again. Just when you thought your life will move on smoothly, the...
2.9K 67 10
Y/n L/n just moved to Denver and what she thought was going to be a peaceful town...turned out to be so much more. Posting Every Monday/Tuesday
12 0 12
Small Girl growing up in a small town , with just her and her nana not knowing it'll come a time when nana gets ill she'll have to break through and...