An Unexpected Love

Av nmmorton

*Highest Rank #1 in Historical Fiction* Shy and awkward Elizabeth Montgomery doesn't think she'll ever find l... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 14

22.9K 1K 59
Av nmmorton

"Thank you, Mr. Stanton," Amelia said as Edward helped her into the runabout carriage, and made his way around to the opposite side to climb up and take the reins. He settled himself down beside her and paused, watching the carriage in front of them jerk into motion. Edward cringed inwardly as he watched Matthew drive off with his sweet Elizabeth.

I should be driving my dear Elizabeth this moment, but no, I had to have the misfortune of my father's arrival... Besides that, what on Earth possessed Matthew to ask for Elizabeth's company? Surely my friend has noticed my attentions toward her. Surely he does not mean to steal her away from me?

Edward had not been able to help the feeling of envy rising up in him from the moment he stepped out of the front door and witnessed Matthew and Elizabeth standing near each other, their eyes locked, smiling faces betraying a tender moment. When Elizabeth had turned her eyes upon him, it had taken all of his control not to reach out to her, as well as to not lunge at Matthew.

Edward tamed his thoughts, he reminded himself that Matthew didn't know of his intentions toward Elizabeth, and Edward planned to speak with Matthew soon regarding Elizabeth. He realized it would look foolish for him to do so while also under the charade of trying to court Amelia to satisfy his father.

"Mr. Stanton? Is everything alright?"

Amelia's words shook him from his thoughts, "Um, yes, Miss Amelia." He shook the reins and the carriage jolted forward. He needed to focus on winning over Amelia.

"May I say that you look quite lovely, er, beautiful, today? I'm so very glad that you accepted my offer to drive you." Edward hoped that his words didn't sound forced, like they felt to him.

Amelia looked at him sweetly, green eyes twinkling. "It's so kind of you to say so, Mr. Stanton. I must say that I was glad when you asked, for I confess I wanted to spend a little private time with you, to get more acquainted with you."

Edward swallowed hard. Just what exactly does that mean? Is she suggesting...? Does that mean she knows nothing of Elizabeth's feelings for me?

"Um, it's quite a fine day for a ride, don't you think?" Edward tried to keep the conversation general. He found he was losing his nerve to follow through with his plan.

"Why yes, it is very nice out today." Amelia paused for a moment before asking, "Mr. Stanton, may I ask you something?"

Oh, my. I do hope I won't regret this...

"You may, Miss Amelia."

"About Mr. Callaway...have you known him for quite awhile?"

"Um, yes, I have. We have been the closest of friends for many years." At least, Edward thought that they were still the closest of friends...

"Oh, that's grand. Does Mr. Callaway ever speak of me?" Amelia held a hint of hope in her voice.

Oh, no.

Edward glanced over at Amelia; she looked back at him expectantly. "Um...No, I can't say that he has, Miss Amelia, at least he has not to me."

It really was the truth; he and Matthew had not had any private conversations since that afternoon they arrived at the plantation. Edward had been so absorbed in chasing Elizabeth he truly didn't know what his friend thought about Amelia, although it seemed that perhaps she was partial to Matthew. That surely didn't help his situation any at all.

Amelia's face fell. "Oh." She turned her head and looked out at the passing scenery.

They rode on in silence for a bit, Edward feeling awkward about the whole situation. He gripped the reins tighter, and wished for this outing to be over quickly. He liked Amelia, and he hated saying anything that would hurt her feelings. He knew he needed to say something to turn the conversation in a direction in which he could complement her, or possibly suggest that he was attracted to her, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it.

"Mr. Stanton, are you going to ask my sister for her hand in marriage?"

Edward choked and coughed for a moment, taken by surprise at her question. He could feel his cheeks burning; he couldn't believe what a fool he was to think that he could manage to complete this farce.

"Oh, Mr. Stanton, are you alright? Please forgive me for my forwardness. I'm sorry if I over stepped my bounds... It's a terrible habit of mine." Amelia's brows drew together in a frown and she rested a hand briefly on his arm.

Edward tried to regain some composure. Obviously, Amelia knew of or suspected about his affections for Elizabeth. This foolhardy plan would never work with her; she'd see right through him, and probably call him out on it.

"Um, no, it's alright Miss Amelia. Yes, I...well...I'm not sure at the moment whether I will ask her that..." Edward wished he could disappear.

"So, you do care for her, then?" Amelia's hopeful face lit up.

Edward grimaced and inhaled sharply. This conversation was getting worse by the minute. There was no turning back if he admitted his feelings for Elizabeth now.

What am I doing? This is madness. I love Elizabeth, and nothing is going to change that.

He might as well give up and forget about his father and whatever it is Charles really wants from him. He ought to go stand up to his father, and then ask Peter for permission to court Elizabeth, whether or not Charles disowns him.

"Mr. Stanton? Well, do you?"

She certainly is persistent.

Edward finally turned his gaze to meet Amelia's bright green eyes. She was waiting expectantly for his response. How could he have ever thought to submit her to his dastardly deed? He felt shamefully low, unworthy of her kind regard.

"Um, yes, Miss Amelia, I do care for Elizabeth. Very much so..." Edward felt an odd sensation of the burden being lifted from his shoulders at his confession.

Amelia jumped in delight at his words. "I knew it! I knew you cared for her! Edward, if I may call you by your first name, seeing as we may be family very soon- Edward, please be gentle with my sister, she's very delicate. Please do remember that," Amelia's words flowed rapidly from her lips, and her eyes beamed in joy. "Edward, don't you dare tell her that I told you this, but, I've never in my life seen her so happy."

Edward pulled the turnabout carriage to a stop, feeling like he was in a stupor. He stared forward for a second, before turning to face Amelia. In a matter of minutes he had gone from the mindset of feigning affection toward Amelia, to admitting his feelings for Elizabeth. And now, Amelia was confessing to him how happy he had made Elizabeth.

"Miss Amelia, I..." Edward could barely speak as the realization sank in.

Amelia grinned and grabbed his hands, causing the reins to drop. "Elizabeth told me you are going to speak to Papa! I'm so very excited for you both!"

Edward stared back at her, and very suddenly, she flung her arms about him and hugged him tightly. After the initial shock wore off, he succumbed to her happiness and embraced her back, letting a joyous grin spread his face. At least he and Elizabeth had one advocate.

As they were celebrating the joyful revelation, the other turnabout carriage passed by them going the opposite direction; and Amelia released Edward and waved, a big smile on her face.

Edward's head was in a fog; he barely noticed the other carriage passing beside them. "Wait a moment, you knew about that all along? That I was planning to speak to your father?" he asked Amelia.

Amelia nodded at him, eyes twinkling. "Elizabeth told me that evening after your horseback ride."

"Then why did you ask me if I cared for your sister?" Edward was puzzled.

"Because I wanted to hear you say it. I wanted to know for sure." Amelia tapped him on the shoulder. "I'm very protective of my sister, you know. No fooling around, young man." She lifted a serious eyebrow at him.

Edward's eyes widened in surprise. "Yes, ma'am," he said, trying to suppress a grin.

Eyeing each other sternly, they both exploded into laughter. Edward never would have guessed that his ride with Amelia would turn out to be so fun, or that she could become an ally in his love for Elizabeth.

"Wait, did you say Elizabeth talked to you about our horseback ride? Just what did she tell you...?" Edward asked nervously. He could feel the heat rising in his cheeks.

Amelia didn't meet his eyes for a moment, her cheeks turning a rosy shade. Finally, she looked up at him with a half grin and said, "Only that it was 'the most wonderful feeling in all the world,' if you know what I mean..." Amelia laughed gaily.

Edward let his head fall back and covered his face with his hands, groaning slightly. "Okay, I won't ask any more questions." He couldn't help grinning back at her.

Even as embarrassing as this conversation had become, he had to admit a feeling of satisfaction to know that Elizabeth had been so moved by their intimate moment.

"Let us head back to the manor, what do you say?" Edward knew what he had to do wasn't going to be all that pleasant, but now he had a renewed excitement to try and make Elizabeth his.

"Alright then," Amelia smiled and sat back in the seat. "Edward, I'm very glad you asked to drive me today. Your company has been most enjoyable."

"As was yours; the pleasure was all mine," Edward smiled at her, thinking how he had dreaded this time with her, and now, he was glad at how it had turned out.

Edward took up the reins again and directed the horse to carry them back toward the plantation house, and to his Elizabeth.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

164 0 13
Elizabeth Ashby is not your average teenager with a hallmark movie life she actually lives with her best friend Hannah, and Hannah's mom Amelia, who...
372K 14K 20
Special Agent Lucy Reynolds is searching for her missing sister in Atlanta. She'll do whatever it takes to find her, even if that means compromising...
404K 17.9K 111
Katherine never pictured her life would be this way, being 'sold off' to some uncaring, misogynistic pig who's nothing more than a leech to society...
Husband Wanted (HC #1) Av Flo

Historiska romaner

67.6K 4.3K 29
Elizbeth Anne Humphrey wants a husband. Her expectations are not outlandish; all she asks is that he be reasonably handsome, reasonably wealthy and...