The Sky's the Limit

Por dawndwrites

Nicole Dunbar and Skyler Pennington. The swoon-worthy, Skyler Pennington, becomes the CEO of his father's int... Más

|One|
|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Five|
|Six|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fourteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
|Epilogue|
Natalie |Beyond Heights|~ Publishing Date
⭐️Thank You⭐️

|Twenty|

4.5K 305 63
Por dawndwrites

Three Weeks Later. . .
Skyler

*****

I couldn't believe the incredible story that Nicole had told me. I couldn't stop thinking about it, or her. I'm so happy that her grandfather thought to write her that loving letter. It explained everything that she needed, and deserved to know.

I'm only sad I wasn't there to support and comfort her at a time like this. She was in such anguish. To hear her sorrow-filled sobs shattered my heart. There was nothing I could do, but listen and offer my encouraging words from far away. I wanted to hold her close in my arms, and ease her heartbreak.

My mama heard back from the realtor, and they were able to negotiate a price with the seller. She chose the house that Nicole had liked. The closing is today, and they are moving in right away. My father located a commercial office building for our shipping company and we can start moving in, immediately.

I'm sending some of our staff down there this weekend. I've been conducting interviews for the past three weeks. I'm trying to replace key positions of employees not able to relocate to Savannah. Everything is in full swing now.

My Yorkie friend has been behaving herself, and letting me get a lot of work done. She's been contentedly taking naps in her comfy bed under my desk, or by my side. She is very protective when applicants come in for their interviews. This has been an unconventional process. But I made a promise to a friend, so I'm multitasking and making it work.

I was working late tonight and someone was tapping at my office door. "Come in?" Where is my secretary?

"Hi Skyler, your secretary wasn't at her desk, so I just knocked. How are you? Long time no see." Alexa, my old girlfriend, set foot in my office. She was dressed to impress as she stood before me.

She does look sorta like a Barbie Doll, now that Shayne brought it to my attention. I tried to disguise my amusement. I started coughing, trying not to laugh at that thought. I ended up with a broad smile, as my eyes met hers.

"Alexa, what's up? What brings you here?" I stopped my pen mid-sentence, and leaned back in my chair.

"I'm here for a job, I heard that you're hiring. I don't mind moving to Savannah and I need employment. I miss you, Skyler." She sat down in a chair without me asking and crossed her legs. I knew she was joking about needing a job.

Princess woke up. She came out from underneath my desk, and started growling at her. Alexa was startled and so was I. She did not like Alexa at all. "It's okay, girl. This is an old friend of mine." I picked my puppy up, and put her on my lap.

"I didn't know that you had a dog? I thought you didn't like dogs." Alexa's face contorted and expressed surprise.

"I had never gotten to know a dog before, but now I do. She belongs to my friend, Nicole." I'm taking care of her while she is away." I smoothed my hands over Princess's short fur while talking. The truth is, I've grown attached to this puppy.

"It's strange seeing you be so affectionate to a puppy. You seem to rarely let anyone get close enough to you. You've changed Skyler. You've grown into a man, and I mean that as a compliment. Do I know this friend, Nicole?" She asked and seemed eager to know about Nicole.

I paused before answering her. "No, you don't know her." I chose not to discuss our relationship.

"Is she your new girlfriend?" She asked in a jealous manner.

She put her hand under her chin reflecting for a moment. "She must be the young woman in the pictures with you, posted on Facebook." Her expression was like a lightbulb went off in her head.

"I thought you were here about a job opening." I redirected the conversation away from Me and Nicole. That is none of her business.

"You just answered my question about Nicole, by not giving me an answer. You have feelings for her, I'm not stupid. That explains the change in you. She's very pretty. Someone finally got to the infamous, Skyler Pennington," She sighed, and stood from her chair.

Her voice was husky. "I really wanted to see you again. I heard your company was moving to Georgia. I knew you'd be gone. I still think about what could have been, had we gotten married. I was hoping that you and I could go to dinner, or do something before you left. I'm sorry things didn't work out between us." She walked her fingers along the edge of my desk, as she spoke to me.

"I appreciate you stopping by, but I think it best if we say goodbye, right here. I'm really busy trying to wrap things up and get down to Savannah. We have an office building there, that needs to be fully staffed. My parents have found a new home and some of my staff are moving down this weekend." I was searching for reasons to end this conversation.

"My new Sales Account Executive is there, and I'm anxious to join her very soon. We need to be fully operational by next week." I was overwhelmed, just realizing what all had to transpire in the next few days.

"I see that you don't have room for another try at you and I." She stared at me and her eyes started getting misty. "

"I wish you success as the CEO of Pennington Inc. in Savannah. I'm sure everything will turn out well for you, and your family. Also for whomever you choose to be Mrs. Skyler Pennington," she said the last part in a soft spoken voice. She rushed over and kissed my cheek, quickly leaving my office and never turning back.

I blew out a loud breath, and swiped my hand across my forehead. I was glad to see the last of her. She just wasn't for me and I'm glad I came to that realization, before it was too late. I needed to get down to Savannah.

I had hired all of the new employees that I needed. Any remaining positions that needed filling, I could do there. Now that my parents have a house, I could move in with them temporarily.

I needed to drop Princess off at Auntie Maxine's house. She agreed to take her, now that I was leaving. Nicole decided to move to Savannah, and live with Mimi Dunbar. She was waiting for the reading of the will. She would be staying with her grandma, and starting work at the new Pennington Inc. on Monday.

I will fly Princess down to Georgia, in a couple of weeks. Nicole's father, stepmother, and sister went back to their home in Savannah. It's an hour drive from Mimi's house. She was happy to see them go.

Friday is the reading of the will. The lawyer had to change the date a second time. I wanted to be there for Nicole this time.

She has no idea that I am coming. I was surprising her this weekend. I only told my parents, so that my mama would get a room ready for me at their new home. My father could help me at our new office complex.

I looked around my office here, a little choked up. I was embarking on a new journey. I will make sure to have all of my office furniture sent down to our new building. But for some reason I wasn't quite as sad, as I was when my father originally came up with this decision.

That was before, Nicole came back into my life. I miss her and I'm anxious to see her beautiful face. I want to be there for her and whatever she needs.

*****

"Hi Auntie Maxine, thank you for taking care of Princess. Poor thing is waiting so patiently to see Nicole. I can't wait until they are reunited." I smiled brightly at that thought.

"Yes, I'm sure she misses her. Thank you Skyler. It gave me a break with you having her for a few weeks." She took Princess from me and held her in her arms. She whimpered, as I let go of her. She has grown attached to me. It feels like she's my dog.

I looked at the picture of Nicole once again on her aunt's shelf. I just don't know why she looks so familiar to me.

"You like that picture of Nicole, I see. You can take it with you." She offered.

"Is this her in high school?" I asked just to reaffirm what I already knew.

"Yes, did you go to the same high school?" She asked curiously.

"I went to Dallas High School, it's referred to as Crozier Tech." I responded.

"That's the same school that Nicole went to. She's younger than you, isn't she?" Her aunt remembered.

"Yes, but I think she could have been a freshman, when I was a senior. I'm four years older than her. Did she start school early or did she skip a grade?" Now, I had to know.

Aunt Maxine thought for a few seconds. "She did skip a grade in middle school. She is very smart. She was always in gifted and talented. She was a straight A student, even in college."

"I will take her picture with me, I'll bring it back before I leave. Thank you!" I yelled on my way, running to my car. Now I had to confirm my hunch

*****

                                Votes and Comments Appreciated ~❤️

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

322K 14K 26
Daniel Watts is a widowed father of two, Gianna and Grant. After five years of being on his own, Daniel decides to hire a live-in nanny to take care...
248K 4.7K 7
Sweeter than Sin _______________________________ Augustine Urban doesn't have time for romance or anything that sounds impractical. His life revolves...
118K 4.7K 35
Being married to billionaire Dominic Lewis gives Savannah Lewis everything one could dream of. Money, diamonds, luxury, and a glamorous lifestyle-the...
134K 9.3K 51
The last thing millionaire Miami lawyer Jonathon Berrington wanted to do this evening was parade across the stage at a charity ball to be auctioned t...