Hard to Find

By annasteffey

[FREE Novel with PAID bonus content] After an awful night out, social worker-Skylar Leighton-believes her lif... More

♡ Authors Note ♡
Epigraph
Chapter One - Blondie
Chapter Two - No Strings Attached
Chapter Three - Friends
Chapter Four - Realizations
Chapter Five - Groundhog Day
Chapter Six - Alone
Chapter Seven - One Shot too Many
Chapter Eight - She
Chapter Ten - True Colors
Chapter Eleven - Forgiving
Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time
Chapter Thirteen - Deals
Chapter Fourteen - Tidal Wave
Chapter Fifteen - Business
Chapter Sixteen - Signs
Chapter Seventeen - Loveless
Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate
Chapter Nineteen - Phone Calls
Chapter Twenty - Nobody Knows
Chapter Twenty One - Letters
Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects
Chapter Twenty Three - We meet again
Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready
Chapter Twenty Five - Memories
Chapter Twenty Six - Lies
Chapter Twenty Seven - Ms. Leighton
Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe
Chapter Twenty Nine - Perspective
Chapter Thirty - Let Down
Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You
Chapter Thirty Three - Beginning of the End
Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's
Chapter Thirty Five - Photos
Chapter Thirty Six - This Feeling
Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence
Chapter Thirty Eight - Hard To Find
Epilogue
♡Ending Authors Note♡
Bonus: The Engagement

Chapter Nine - Peace Offerings

22.1K 1.2K 170
By annasteffey

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r n i n e

{Peace Offerings}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

It's safe to say the hangover I wake up with is one of my worst. I haven't drank that excessively in a very long time. But what did I expect by drinking alcohol like it was water?

Although, the more concerning matter was when I opened my eyes this morning and found myself in Blake's living room. Nerves pierced through me like a cold bucket of water poured over my head. I had no clue how I had gotten there, and I still don't know.

I ran to Blake's bedroom, kissed him goodbye, and called an Uber home.

Now I'm lying in my bed in my underwear. My hair is still soaking wet from my shower, and my headache is prominent. I've been lifelessly watching reruns of America's Next Top Model, trying to remember what happened last night. I can picture everything until I got in Blake's car to go home. I vaguely remember him undressing me for bed, but the rest is blank.

Did I have a run-in with Jayden? I didn't see him anywhere in the apartment, albeit his bedroom door was closed. Groaning, I turn onto my side and close my eyes to force myself to sleep. I have work tomorrow and I need to be well-rested. 

When I walk into my office the following morning, there is a bouquet of white roses waiting for me with a note that reads;

"I hope you got a lot of rest and are feeling better. - B"

Instinctively, I lean closer, inhaling the fresh scent. A nostalgic feeling of spring overcomes me, but when I look outside I'm reminded that it's winter. Sighing, I tuck the attached note in my purse, reminding myself I need to call Blake later and thank him. I place them on the side table by the couch and get situated for a meeting.

When the meeting is over and I've completed a substantial amount of paperwork, I head to Mr. K's for coffee and a sandwich. Upon entering, I notice is my usual seat is occupied. I peer around the cafe in search of a place to sit and see a certain someone hiding in the corner, his face buried in his computer screen. My legs beeline toward him before my brain gives them permission.

I sit across from him. He peers up from his screen and rips his headphones from his ears. "Hey," He says, evidently shocked by my presence.

He rubs his chin, and it triggers a memory I didn't know I had. Suddenly, my mind takes me back to Blake's kitchen last night, where I was standing between Jayden's legs, touching his chin. I can feel his hands on me, but cannot comprehend any of the words he's saying.

"Earth to Killer? Hello?" He waves, snapping me out of my daze. I put a pretend smile on my face, apologize for zoning out and say hello. If I saw Jayden any other day, I would've run the other direction, but today he has answers I desperately need.

"Is this your break?" He asks. 

"Yep. I had meetings all morning. Now it's paper work time." I motion to my folder of papers. He laughs and does the same, but holding up his laptop. I ask if he minds that I work here, and he shakes his head, so I lay a couple of files out in front of me and materialize my favorite blue pen. 

The cafe chatter fills the silence between us, yet it still feels like we're the only people in the room. Although I'm staring at the document in front of me, I'm not reading it. I'm internally battling with myself whether to ask him about the other night.

I inhale deeply, but quiet enough he can't hear, and blurt out, "This is random, but did we talk the other night?"

His gaze flinches toward me and he opens his mouth, then clamps it shut again. His expression tells me he's internally struggling to answer my question. That can't be good.

"Yeah, you woke me up. You knocked all the water bottles out of the fridge and then started wobbling around."

I squeeze my eyes shut in embarrassment. "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I probably said such ridiculous stuff."

His eyes stay glued to his computer screen. I notice the slightest curve to his mouth when he says, "Not really."

"You're just being nice." I point out. 

"No, I'm not. You were just mumbling on about random things, we didn't have a conversation." He shrugs and I realize I'm getting nowhere. He's telling the truth, or I truly said something horrifically stupid, and he's protecting me.

I take a bite of my sandwich, leaning back in the metal chair. "That's surprising because I usually can't shut up when I consume alcohol." I egg him on.

He sighs. "Well, you talked about my shaved beard and how I call you Killer. Then I went to put you in Blake's room, but you had to throw up, so I helped you in the bathroom. Then you wanted to sleep on the couch because Blake's bed was too hot. That's pretty much it."

I expected much worse after our encounter in the alley, but I'm thankful my blackout was only me acting like a fool. I'm also glad he told me. "That sounds like an awful night, sorry about that." 

"No, it was fine." He snorts. "You're a super pleasant drunk, surprisingly."

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

He shrugs and clenches his teeth like he is about to say something controversial. "You're usually a tough ass when sober, I thought you'd be even more of a tough ass when drunk."

I want to be pissed, but his stupid grin is making me laugh. 

"Take the ass out of that description. I'm just tough, you're the ass."

"Fair enough."

I recall Marlee's dinner and how we got along before I recognized him, and I wonder; am I holding a grudge because of what happened the first night we met? I can't pretend I'm not embarrassed that he stood me up, but now we're here. And I don't think we know what this relationship is.

"Did you know who I was when you saw me at Marlee's?" I question.

"You don't look any different from the bar. Except for your hair," He points to my head. "It's longer now."

"So that entire time, you knew who I was?"

"It took a moment, but I knew." Jayden's eyes bounce between me and his lap. "Is Blake aware that we know each other?"

"No." I shake my head.

Curt laughter vibrates from him and he closes his computer. He appears slightly slack-jawed by my reply as he stands from the table. "I have to get going, it was nice talking to you."

I stare bewildered at the empty chair in front of me and then watch as he pushes the cafe door open and hurries out. My head falls into my hands. I feel as though I'm creating more complications than need be.

But I think there are things better left unsaid, especially if they don't benefit any of the parties involved. If I told Blake about Jayden, he would know I'm attracted to his roommate. That's just wrong.

I shove the rest of my sandwich in my mouth and force my papers back in my bag. I don't want to be here any longer, so I head back home.

As I unlock my apartment door, I call Blake. His phone goes to voicemail, but my phone pings with a message:

Blake: In an important meeting... I'll call you in a bit.

Skylar: Sorry to disturb, I was just calling to say thank you for the flowers. They're lovely.

Blake: What flowers?

What does he mean what flowers? Bemused, I reach for my purse and pull out the flower card. I reread the message. How could this not be from Blake? Who else would send me flowers or know I was sick—

It all hits me. 

B doesn't stand for Blake, it stands for Blondie.

I quickly send a text to Blake saying it was a mistake and a co-worker sent them to me. I stare at the card aimlessly. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 146 20
In a world where secrets lurk beneath every shadow, Skylar's encounter with a mysterious figure in a dimly lit alley sets her on an extraordinary pat...
306K 248 36
Ellie Mattice is offered the opportunity of a lifetime when she gets accepted as an international student at a leading performing arts school in Lond...
1.6K 60 34
Skylar's parents die in a car accident and lives in care until someone adopts her. But what will happen when she starts to fall in love with her new...
220K 9.9K 46
Innocence is subjective. When push comes to shove: things change. And sometimes you just have to try not to explode. Pure's always been bullied for h...