STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE...

ChancellorMatt által

I didn't like the Last Jedi. Had a lot of problems with how certain characters were handled, and missed oppor... Több

Opening Crawl
One - Art
Two - A Long Time
Three - Disappointments
Four - Grand Admiral
Five - The Cave
Six - Bad Memories
Eight - A Distraction Called Sight
Nine - Moving Rocks
Ten - Trapped Like Womprats
Eleven - The Battle of Crait
Twelve - The Last Jedi
Thirteen - Reunions and First Meetings
Fourteen - Storming the Supremacy
Fifteen - The Student and The Master
Sixteen - The Core
Seventeen - A Long Awaited Meeting
Eighteen - The Girl
Nineteen - Solo
Twenty
That's a Wrap
Concerning The Rise of Skywalker

Seven - The Battle of Canto Bight

301 12 4
ChancellorMatt által

Canto Bight

The Resistance fleet drops out of hyperspace above Canto Bight. The planet is largely covered in water, with long island strips pushing up to the surface. The First Order fleet sits suspended in the planet's orbit. The Supremacy is placed at the rear, making both fleets look small by comparison.

Inside the bridge of the Raddus, Admiral Ackbar sits in his command chair.

"Rescue teams! Break off now!" Ackbar orders over the comm.

Several of the Resistance corvettes along with a large group of X-wings, including Poe's, split off from the fleet and fly down towards Canto Bight.

"Remaining ships, form up blocking vectors! Keep those star destroyers between us and that capital ships cannons!" Ackbar commands.

The Resistance ships shift their trajectories, each of them keeping a star destroyer between them and the Supremacy's line of fire.

***

Back on the corvette, Finn squeezes the ship's railing in a death grip. The corvette shakes violently as they enter the planet's atmosphere.

"Finn." Rose says.

Finn ignores it.

"Finn!" She says with more urgency.

He turns, giving her a quizzical look. Rose points out the viewport. Finn looks through. Gasping he lets go of the railing, and stands up straight. Outside, the surface of Canto Bight is visible. There is a city built into a cove on the edge of a vast ocean. The city is in flames. TIE fighters  swarm the sky, raining green laser-fire down on the city. Stormtroopers march through the streets, firing indiscriminately at combatants and civilians. Fleeing starships are constantly taking off, many to simply be shot down by TIEs. Several X-wings break off from the group to defend the escaping ships.

"Never seen a planetary invasion before?" A voice says.

Finn turns to see Lorn standing there. She also staring out the window, expression concealed by the gray helmet she wears.

"Not like this. Not on this scale," Finn says.

"The First Order is efficient as it is ruthless." Lorn says. She activates her comm. "Set us down on the outskirts."

Immediately the corvette turns and heads towards a clear area at the edge of the city. It touches down with a slight bump and the landing ramp drops. Lorn runs down the ramp along with a dozen Resistance soldiers. Finn and Rose follow shortly, carrying their med-packs. Finn stops for a moment, staring out at the ravaged city. Then, he shakes himself and continues following the soldiers.

***

Kylo Ren blocks a blaster bolt with his lightsaber, then runs the blade through the chest of the city guard who fired it. Shock and pain contorts the man's face.

Kylo pulls his saber out of the man's chest, and the guard crumbles to the ground. Behind Kylo, stormtroopers unleash a hail of blaster-fire on a handful of other guards. They all drop to the ground, dead.

"These guards don't present much of a challenge do they?" Kylo says.

"No, sir." A stormtrooper confirms.

"Let's keep moving. I want to get deeper in the city." Kylo says.

"Yes si-" The stormtrooper is cut off by a blaster bolt nailing him in the chest.

Kylo whirls around to see a squad of Resistance soldiers open fire on them. Kylo throws up his hand, freezing a blaster bolt in mid air. The soldier who fired has only has a moment to look confused before Kylo pushes his hand forward, sending the bolt back. It hits the soldier center mass, dropping him like a rock.

Both the stormtroopers and the Resistance soldiers rush to cover. Kylo charges at the soldiers, as blaster bolts streak past. One of the soldiers starts to throw a grenade, but Kylo flicks his hand. The soldier's arm snaps. The man yells in pain, and the grenade drops to the ground. It explodes a moment later, blowing up half the Resistance soldiers. Kylo rushes the remaining ones, deflecting blaster bolts as he closes the distance. He stabs the first one in the chest, and cuts the head off another. The final soldier still alive, drops his blaster and runs. Kylo pulls back his lightsaber and throws it. The red blade sails through the air, and pierces the soldier in the back. The soldier stumbles a few more steps, then stops and stares at the lightsaber burning a hole in his chest. Kylo motions with his hand, and the lightsaber flys back into his hand. The soldier crumples.

Kylo deactivates the lightsaber and turns around. Two more of the stormtroopers were hit in the firefight. Only two remain. They move over to the one trooper that is still moving. There is a charred hole in the gut of the trooper's armor. He lets out a muffled groan of pain.

"He going to make it?" Kylo asks.

"No." One of the stormtroopers says.

"Put him out of his misery then." Kylo says.

"I...yes sir." The trooper then shoots the injured trooper in the head.

Kylo turns away.

"Let's keep moving, then."

***

A group of civilians huddles behind the rubble of a wall, stormtroopers blasting at the other side. The bolts strike chunks debris off the wall, whittling it down bit by bit. The civilians hunker down further, their faces masks of fear, but nowhere else to turn to. The stormtroopers march forward, with a steady stream of fire. Suddenly, a round sphere lands on the ground in the middle of them.

"Grenade!" one shouts.

The stormtroopers scramble as the sphere explodes. Troopers go flying, dust and debris spraying the street.

The stormtroopers are struggling to gain their bearings, when Lorn charges in, flanked by Resistance soldiers. With a pair of hand blasters, Lorn fires pinpoint shots, putting down a stormtrooper with every pull of the trigger. The Resistance soldiers open fire as well, and together they take out all but one of the remaining stormtroopers. That last trooper managed to dive behind the debris the civilians are hiding behind. Lorn raises her gun, but the trooper hauls up a civilian woman in front of him.

"Don't any of you move!" The trooper says, gun at the woman's temple. "Or I won't hesitate to-"

Lorn shoots the trooper in the head, killing him instantly.The woman stumbles away, sobbing. Lorn scoffs and holsters her blasters. A civilian man rushes up and hugs the sobbing woman. She cries into his shoulder.

"Someone get the medics," Lorn says, after looking down at the civilians.

Finn and Rose run past the Resistance soldiers. They get their first look at the civilians. Many are injured, all dirty from dust and debris. Finn looks over  before his eyes finally settle on the dead stormtrooper, a charred hole in its helmet. Finn shivers and turns away. Rose runs over to a girl bleeding from the arm, and crouches down next to her. The girl is clutching her wound, crying. Finn crouches down beside as Rose addresses the girl.

"What's your name?" Rose asks as she opens her medkit.

"L-Lyna." The girl gets out.

"Where's your parents Lyna?" Rose pulls a device out of the kit.

"M-mommy said to run, a-and to not look back." The girl says, staring at the device.

Rose and Finn share a look. Then Rose turns back to the girl and smiles weakly.

"I'm sure she's okay. Lyna I'm gonna need you to let go of your arm."

"B-but my mommy said, I need to hold onto it or It'll be bad."

"Its okay. Your arm is hurt, but I can fix it. I just need you to let go, so I can get to it." Rose says soothingly.

Reluctantly the girl removes her hand. Rose and Finn wince as they see the wound. There is a huge gash in the girls arm, from which the blood is streaming.

"This'll just take a moment sweetie," Rose says.

The girl nodded nervously. Rose points the device at the arm and presses a button. A white foam sprays out of the device, covering and filling the wound. In a moment it solidifies and the blood flow stops.

"Now was that so bad?"

Lyna shakes her head.

"You're very brave you know that?"

Lyna smiles, weakly.

"Alright Lyna, I've got to help some of these other people. Stay right here, I'm gonna be back, and we're gonna get you somewhere safe, okay?"

Lyna nods. Rose smiles, and ruffles the little girls hair. Then she stands back up and moves onto the next injured civilian. Finn does the same.

"You're really good at that." Finn says, as he pulls out his own spraying device.

"You think so? I suppose we can't all be soldiers or legendary fighters." Rose says.

Finn looks at Lorn, sighing. "I guess not."

He turns back to the civilian and spays over a blaster wound in the man's arm.

"How long long will it take you to tend to these people?" Lorn asks, walking up.

"Not long." Rose replies. "We're just doing patch jobs. We'll give them some real medical attention once we get back in the ship."

"Good." Lorn says. "I don't like us staying out in the open for too-"

The wail of a TIE fighter in flight fills the air.

"TIEs incoming!" A soldier shouts.

"Damn!" Lorn swears. "Everyone get to cover!"

The soldiers and civilians all scramble. Finn and Rose help the injured to their feet before running themselves. Finn looks back to see a pair of TIE fighters sail towards the group. Laserfire erupts from the TIEs cannons. Laser meets concrete, spraying debris over the group. Another volley of laserfire sends two of the rebel soldiers flying. The group runs inside the ruins of a half-destroyed building. Finn and Rose take cover behind a pillar, along with some civilians. Laserfire rips into the ruined building's walls, toppling and nearly crushing a pair of civilians. The TIEs cry out with their signature wail as they pass overhead. The fighters start to turn around to make another pass at the group.

"Hey! Do you have anything that can take those down!?" Finn shouts to Lorn.

She hesitates, then shakes her head.

"Perfect," Finn says with annoyance.

He ducks down behind another piece of rubble, as the TIEs release another volley of laserfire. One of the half-collapsed walls explodes, spraying dust and debris everywhere, drawing chocking coughs from Finn and Rose. The TIEs pass overhead. Finn peeks out from his hiding spot to watch in horror, as the TIEs make another approach. Lorn also looks out at the fighters from her spot. She lifts her arm and holds out her palm towards the fighters. The TIEs start to fire again. Finn cringes and hunkers down again. The laserfire tears apart the ground in front of the building. Inside one of the TIE cockpits, the pilot zeroes in on the building. He thumbs the trigger.

The TIE fighter explodes. The other TIE spins erratically to avoid laserfire that would have done the same to it. Behind, races Poe Dameron's X-wing.

"Yeah!" Finn cheers. "Didn't expect that did you!?"

Lorn quickly pulls back her arm, and retreats back into cover, unnoticed by the others. Meanwhile Poe blows the other TIE out of the sky. He spins around and makes a pass at the building, giving the group a thumbs up, before flying off.

"One hell of a pilot." Finn mutters to himself chuckling.

***

The Chimera

Thrawn sits in the command chair on the bridge of the Chimera. He watches the battle between the two fleets.

"Making use of blocking vectors. Just what I'd expect from a Mon Calamari." Thrawn observes.

"Mon Calamari?" Hux says. "You think Admiral Ackbar is in command of this attack?"

"Without question. Even putting aside that he is one of the Rebellion's most senior commanders, these tactics are in line with his military history." Thrawn explains.

"Well then...how do you intend to deal with his strategy?" Hux asks.

"How would you, General Hux?" Thrawn replies.

Hux considers this. "Even if we have our destroyers move, they will certainly mirror the move to maintain the blocking vectors...I suppose I'd have some of our destroyers jump to hyperspace to open up a line of fire for the Supremacy."

Hux seems satisfied with his own assessment.

"But, in doing so, you would make the Supremacy vulnerable." Thrawn points out.

Hux scoffs. "I hardly think they could do any real damage to the largest ship in the galaxy."

"A handful of X-wings and Y-wings destroyed the Death Star, and made similar work of your Starkiller Base. Never forget that General."

Hux's eye twitches. "You still haven't explained what you intend to do."

"In this circumstance, the Supremacy's canons cannot be made of use directly on the rebel ships. However, the threat of them will keep the ships pinned down. Meaning, we can unleash the full might of our destroyers upon them, and they will be incapable of making evasive maneuvers."

"But they must have known that. They probably do not intent to be here long enough for their shields to be broken through." Hux points out.

"That is only assuming that our attacks will be equally distributed across all their ships." Thrawn replies.

Hux looks confused, but then seems to come to a realization. Thrawn smiles, and presses the intercom button on his chair

"All destroyers, ignore whichever rebel ship is closest to you. Instead I want all turbolasers firing on the frigate in the third quadrant, approximately twenty three klicks from The Chimera."

The star destroyers comply, shifting their lines of fire to the frigate Thrawn described. There is soon a hail of laserfire pelting the frigate.

"We will see how long their shields last when we focus all of our fire on one ship at a time." Thrawn says with satisfaction.

"You can focus all fire on one of their cruisers because they can't move to avoid any of our attacks." Hux says, impressed. "That'd never work in a normal engagement."

"It is a strategy that only functions under specific circumstances, such as these." Thrawn explains. "If they attempt to do the same we can simply pull back whatever destroyer they focus on. If they actually manage to destroy one of our ships it will open a line of fire for the Supremacy.

"It is a...clever tactic." Hux admits begrudgingly.

"Your commendation is noted general." Thrawn says, still watching the frigate endure the onslaught of laserfire.

To himself Thrawn quietly adds: "How will you respond Ackbar?"

***

The Raddus

Admiral Ackbar watches the frigate withstand the assault.

"It is Thrawn, after all..." He concludes.

"What was that sir?" One of the officers asks.

"Nothing of worth. Hail that frigate, I need to talk to the captain."

"Right away sir." The officer replies.

A holo projection of a man appears in front of Ackbar.

"Yes Admiral?" The man says, clearly agitated.

"Will your shields hold out long enough to make hyperspace calculations?" Ackbar asks.

"Yes sir, but-"

"Wait until just before your shields will drop, then jump out."

"Yes, sir." The captain salutes.

The hologram disappears. Ackbar sweeps his gaze across the rest of the battle. There is still some skirmishing between the TIE fighters and the X-wings, but otherwise, none of the other ships are taking any damage. Ackbar presses a button on his command chair.

"All X-wings pilots are to ignore defensive actions for our fleet. Our shields can hold out if it is just TIE fighters attacking. Instead, focus on taking out the turbo lasers on those star destroyers."

Across the battle all the X-wing pilots receive the message and adjust their flights. A significant portion of the TIEs also break off to give chase.

"Let us see if you are really worthy of the title 'Grand Admiral'," Ackbar says, narrowing his large Mon calamari eyes.

***

Canto Bight

Finn and Rose usher the civilians into the corvette, while the soldiers stand guard.

"That's the last of 'em." Finn says.

"Good, we should get back out there." Lorn says.

The soldiers march back out, with Finn and Rose in the center.

"How much longer do you think the fleet will hold out?" Finn says, glancing up at the battle occuring in the sky.

"Who knows, we've just gotta work as fast as we can." Rose replies.

"Listen to the girl." Lorn says from ahead. "Worrying about the fleet will just distract you. Distractions get you killed."

"So do star destroyers." Finn mutters.

The group moves further into the city. Blasterfire signals the other skirmishes happening around them. A Resistance scout appears from around a corner, and creeps over to the group.

"We got a group of stormies keeping some civie's from hopping on a transport ship up ahead." The scout explains.

"How many?" Lorn asks.

"Ten."

"We'll handle it." Lorn says.

The scout nods, before disappearing around another corner.

"I want eight of you with me." Lorn says, indicating most of the soldiers. "The remaining two will make sure the medics don't get themselves killed." Lorn gestures to a pair of the soldiers. "Let's go."

The group creeps forward. Up ahead, they catch sight of the exchange the scout described. There is a squad of ten stormtroopers firing at a group of civilians, hiding behind a corner of a ruined building. Lorn holds up a hand and, the group crouches down behind a piece of rubble.

"Hold here." She says to the soldiers guarding Finn and Rose.

They nod, and Lorn leads the rest of the team forward. They start firing moments later. Several troopers take blaster bolts to the chest, and the rest rush for cover. Lorn charges ahead of her men, launching herself into the midst of the stormtroopers. Finn watches, transfixed as Lorn ducks between blaster bolts, taking down trooper after trooper with brutal efficiency. 

"Just who is this lady?" Finn asks, with disbelief.

The stormtroopers retreat back, and Lorn and the soldiers give chase.

"She's amazing isn't she? I heard she once-" Rose affirms.

"Keep it down." One of the soldiers order. "I don't want any stormtroopers hearing us."

"Sorry." Rose says, looking downcast.

"Now that you mention it, where are all the stormtroopers?" Finn whispers. "Seems like we've only come across a couple squads so far, this place should be crawling-"

He glances back, just in time to see a squad of ten stormtroopers rounding a corner behind them.

"Get down!" One of the the soldiers cries, as both of them open fire on the stormtroopers. Finn and Rose go prone, as blaster bolts fly overhead. One of the troopers goes down instantly. The Resistance fighters hit another, putting that one down as well. The troopers fire back, hitting a resistance soldier in the leg.

Finn and Rose crawl out of the line of fire, into a nearby building. They pull themselves up to a crouch, and watch the fighting from the doorway.

The resistance soldiers have pulled back to the other side of the rubble for cover. They shoot another trooper, but are quickly forced to duck down under a hail of fire.

"We've gotta help them!" Finn exclaims.

"What are we gonna do!? We're medics!" Rose exclaims.

"I don't...know."

Finn looks back out to see one of the soldiers try to return fire, only to get shot in the head. His blaster clatters to the ground a few feet from the building Finn and Rose hide in.

"Finn..." Rose says worriedly.

Finn looks nervously at the gun, then back to the troopers.

"Finn!" Rose says more urgently. "Don't-"

"I'll be right back."

Finn dashes out into the street. Blaster bolts streak through the air around him. He scrambles for the blaster. He snatches it but stumbles. He falls to the ground, and quickly rolls behind the rubble-cover. The resistance soldier looks down at him, confused.

"This is me rescuing you," Finn explains.

"You're doing quite the job of it," The soldier replies.

"Shut up." Finn pulls himself back up, while staying behind the rubble. "How many of them are left?"

"Why don't you check?" The soldier asks, sarcastically.

Finn shrugs and peeks his head over. He immediately pulls it back, as the chunk of rubble just above his head explodes.

"I counted seven." Finn says.

"Sounds right." The soldier replies.

"We should make a run inside that building." Finn indicates the building Rose still hides in. "We'll stand a better chance in there."

"Can't make it." The soldier says. He points to the blaster wound he received in the leg.

Finn bites his lip. "I got an idea."

"What is it?" The soldier asks.

"First, I need your gun." Finn says, holding his hand out.

"What!?" The soldier exclaims.

"Just do it."

"You've...already got one."

"Yeah but I need both for this to work."

"But you're a..."

"A what?" Finn asks, narrowing his eyes.

The soldiers looks nervous. "Well..one of them."

Finn sighs.

"Or you were at least..." The soldiers adds.

"We don't have time for this." Finn says. "Give me the gun, so I can throw it to Rose and she can give us some cover."

"You want her to what!?" The soldier, says, incredulous.

"You want me to what!?" Rose says, overhearing.

"We do not have time for this!" Finn says exasperated.

"Fine." The soldier hands the gun to Finn. Finn then leans as far as he can without leaving the cover, and tosses the weapon to Rose. She catches it, but holds the weapon at a distance as if afraid it would bite her.

"Finn! Finn, I don't know what to do! I'm just a-"

"Just fire the damn blaster!" Finn shouts.

Rose looks down at the blaster and takes a breath.

Then she leans out of the opening in the building and starts shooting, while screaming at the top of her lungs. Meanwhile Finn takes the soldier's arm over his shoulder and helps him to walk over to the building. As he does this Finn uses his free hand to fire his blaster at the stormtroopers. The sudden shooting causes the troopers to hunker down behind cover themselves. One trooper tries to sneak up, but Finn shoots him in the chest. Finn and the soldier slide into the building, unmolested. Rose pulls back shaking.

"That was...exciting!" Rose says, beaming.

"Glad you had fun. They're gonna be pouring in any second now, so maybe you should give the gun back to the guy who knows how to use it." Finn says, quickly.

"Right." Rose says, handing the blaster back to the soldier.

The soldier takes it and the three of them back up behind a pair of pillars in the room. Rose with the soldier, and Finn by himself. They wait for a tense moment. Then the first two stormtroopers leap in, blasters firing.

The soldier shoots one, but takes a hit in the shoulder as a result. Finn puts the other down with a shot to the chest, but two more troopers fill their place. One advances on the pillar Finn is hiding behind, firing. The trooper puts down steady fire, keeping Finn from getting a shot off. The other does the same with Rose and the soldier's pillar. The two remaining troopers march in after them, firing as well. Finn looks over at Rose, she takes the gun from the soldier, but is unable to get a shot off.

Finn stays back, helpless as the trooper approaches. When the trooper is only a step away from the pillar, Finn sticks his blaster around it, and fires blindly. One of the shots hits the trooper in the leg.

Finn dashes out from behind the pillar and slams into the trooper. He doesn't manage to knock the trooper over, and the two stand there grappling. Finn and the trooper  each try to push their blasters into an angle where they can shoot the other. As they wrestle, Finn notices something on the trooper's belt. A riot control baton. Finn sets his jaw and lets go of his blaster. He goes for the baton. The trooper tries to stop him but Finn tears it off his belt.

Finn activates the weapon. It unfolds, becoming wrapped in plasma. Finn slams the trooper in the chest. A flare of electricity hits the trooper where the baton connects, knocking him back into another troopers. Both tumble to the ground. Finn races towards them, and before either can raise blasters he knocks them both out with quick bashes to the helmets.

The other two stormtroopers in the room take aim at Finn, but one is shot in the side by Rose. Her second shot is wild and completely misses the other trooper. That trooper fires first at Rose, to force her back into cover, then turns back to shoot Finn. But Finn has already closed the distance. He slings the baton downward, knocking the blaster from his grip. The trooper jumps to the side to avoid another swing of the baton. The stormtrooper retreats back out the opening in the wall.

Once outside the trooper reaches down, and pulls out his own riot baton. A plasma flash and the baton is activated. Finn swings his baton into a defensive grip, his forearm parallel with the weapon, and follows the trooper out. He walks slowly, waiting for the trooper to make a move. The trooper swings the baton into an offensive grip, and thrusts. Finn deflects it. The trooper swings the baton around twice, gaining momentum, before striking it against Finn's guard. The force of the blow causes Finn to stumble back. The trooper swings the baton around for an overhead strike. Finn thusts his baton at a diagonal, upward angle, safely diverting the strike. Then Finn spins the baton in a circular arc, forcing the trooper to shuffle back. The two stand opposing one another, unmoving.

"...those are Stormtrooper Corp. tactics," the trooper suddenly says.

Finn doesn't reply. His expression is hard.

"You've had training you're...a traitor?"

"Something like that," Finn replies.

"You don't get that every day. Maybe I should bring you back alive..." The trooper muses.

"Finn!" Rose calls from inside the building. "I can't get a clear shot, you're in the way!"

"Don't try. I don't want you shooting me on accident." Finn calls back, not taking his eyes off the trooper.

"Finn?" The trooper pauses. "F...N? You...you aren't just a traitor. You're the traitor, FN-Two-One-Eight-Seven. Aren't you?"

Finn's eye twitches, but otherwise doesn't reply.

"...oh." The trooper says, after a long pause. "Phasma will be glad to see you. She's got half the corp. looking for you. I'll probably get a promotion for bringing you in. Do you even know how many of our brothers you killed when-"

Finn charges, letting out a bellow. He swings the baton wildly at the trooper's head. The trooper easily deflects it and counters with a swing of his own. Finn is put off balance by the move. The trooper swings again knocking Finn's baton aside. The trooper starts to swing at Finn's head, but Finn tackles him to the ground. The two struggle, their batons crackling against the concrete. The trooper manages to slam his baton against Finn's ribs. An electrical burst surges through Finn's side, and he howls with pain. The stormtrooper uses the opportunity to kick Finn off him. He then pulls up his baton and swings it down at Finn's head. Finn blocks the blow, but it pushes his own baton down, crackling plasma just inches from his own face. The trooper puts his weight down on the baton, to push it closer.

"Was it worth it? Whatever you left the Stormtrooper Corp. for? Worth killing as many of our brothers as you did?" The trooper demands, as the baton inches closer to Finn's face.

The baton pushes closer and Finn's face grows panicked. The moment before the plasma stream touches him, a blaster bolt suddenly flies overhead, just missing the trooper's head by inches. The trooper whirls his head around to see Rose standing holding the blaster in outstretched hands.

While the trooper is momentarily distracted Finn shoves the batons back up into his opponent's helmet. The electric stream zaps into the trooper's helmet. Stunned the trooper's head jerks back. Finn pushes the trooper off him completely, and swings. His baton smashes, more solidly this time, into the trooper's helmet. The trooper goes down, a crack in his helmet. Finn stands up and slams his baton down on the trooper's helmet again. Another crack. Finn yells swinging the baton downward again. The trooper's helmet shatters, exposing the trooper's face. The trooper is a dark haired young man. Probably a teenager. Finn stares at the trooper's face, looking horrified. He stares down at the baton he's holding. He shudders, and deactivates it. He makes as if to throw the weapon away, but thinks better of it, and instead clips it to his belt.

"That was...awesome!" Rose exclaims. "You totally beat him up!"

"Yeah..." Finn says uncomfortable.

"What was that thing he was saying about you being a traitor though? What did that mean?" Rose asks confused.

"It means he used to be one of them. A stormtrooper." The resistance soldier says, limping out.

"What?" Rose says. "No that's ridiculous Finn is a..."

She stops when she sees Finn's face.

"He's right." Finn says with a sigh. "I was."

"Wh...what?" Rose stammers.

"Ackbar told us, just in case..." The soldier says.

"In case I decided to switch sides halfway through the battle?" Finn finishes.

"I don't know if he put it like that. But stormtrooper or not, you did save my life. Thanks."

"Just doing what I thought was right..." Finn's voice trails off as he looks all the bodies of stormtroopers lying around the street and in the building.

"No wait this is just a joke right?" Rose says, frantically. "There's no way a stormtrooper could end up becoming a Resistance hero...right?"

Finn shrugs. "Don't meet your heroes."

"...especially not if I'm your hero." He adds under his breath.

A few moments later, Lorn walks up along with the rest of the soldiers. She looks down at the stormtroopers. Then back up at Finn, Rose and finally to the remaining soldier.

"As you can see, the medics are unharmed." The soldier says, deadpan.

***

Kylo Ren and his two stormtroopers are marching down a street, when two civilians dash past.

"Halt! Stop right there or we shoot!" One of the stormtroopers commands.

The pair continue running. The stormtroopers open fire, and the civilians disappear around a corner, dodging the blaster bolts by a small margin. Kylo Ren sprints after them, with the stormtroopers in tow. They round the corner to see the civilians standing in front of a dead end. More clearly seen now, the civilians are one middle-aged woman and and a young boy. The woman puts herself in front of the boy.

"Please! Shoot me, but not my son!" The woman pleads.

The stormtroopers take aim at the pair, despite this. Kylo Ren throws up a hand, stopping them. He takes a step forward. The woman shrinks back, still guarding her child.

"Why did you run?" Kylo asks. "We aren't killing those who aren't trying to leave the planet. So why would you risk both of your lives by running?"

"Because..." The woman says hesitating. "...because I don't want my son to grow up on a planet ruled by the First Order."

Kylo shakes his head. "Foolishness."

"Maybe. But it was my choice." The woman says. "please don't punish my son for it."

"Hey!" The kid says, trying to push past his mother. "You try and hurt my mom and I'll hurt you!"

The woman tries to shush her son and keep him back. Kylo stares at the child. Then he looks back at the mother. His grip on his lightsaber tightens.

"Please..." She says weakly.

Kylo activates the lightsaber. The stormtroopers take aim. The woman turns and shields the boy with her body. Kylo swings his blade.

The stormtroopers' heads hit the ground. A moment later their limp bodies fall as well.

Tentatively, the woman turns around. She sees Kylo with his back to her, standing in front of the dead stormtroopers.

"Go." He says.

The woman grabs her son by the hand, and she runs out of sight. Kylo Ren deactivates his lightsaber, and walks back out into the street. First he looks down the way he just came. Then he looks down the path he would have continued on had he not been stopped. Before he can take a step his comm pings. Kylo pulls out the comm and activates it.

"What?" He asks, triedly.

"There's a group of Resistance fighters about a half a klick, south of you position." says Phasma over the comm. "Apparently they're giving our men some trouble. If you aren't occupied-"

"I'll be right there."

Kylo Ren starts running.

***

The Raddus

"We can't take anymore! Jumping to hyperspace now!" The captain of the frigate says, through his flickering holo-projection

"Thank you. You held out as long as you could, soldier." Ackbar replies.

A moment later the frigate seems to stretch into the distance, before winking away.

***

The Chimera

"Refocuse all laserfire on the next frigate over." Thrawn commands. "Continue to do so, each time one jumps out, until they are out of ships."

The star destroyers comply, and soon the hail of laserfire resumes on another of the resistance frigates. Thrawn observers the X-wings racing towards the destroyers.

"TIE fighters, scramble to defensive formations, keep them from getting to our destroyers." He orders.

***

The Raddus

Admiral Ackbar observes the X-wings with concern. The TIE fighters block the X-wing advance, relying on  tight formations to keep any from breaking through. Ackbar presses the comm on his chair.

"Gold leader, adopt a wedge formation and slice through the enemy lines." Ackbar orders.

"Yes sir!" Gold leader replies.

The X-wings form up in a sharp triangular flight patter. Moments later they break through the TIE forces into the open space in front of the star destroyers.

***

The Chimera

"An interesting strategy." Thrawn states, observing the X-wings begining to make runs over the surface of the star destroyers.

He activates the comm.

"I want all TIE fighters in the engagement to pull back, regroup, then use formation C to encircle the enemy." He speaks over the comm.

The TIEs do as he orders, pulling back, and allowing the X-wings to flood in. As they do, the TIEs circle back to enclose the X-wings, trapping them between the star destroyers and the TIEs.

***

The Raddus

"We can go for the destroyers, but no without getting blasted from behind!" Gold leader exclaims, over the comm.

Ackbar looks to be thinking. After a moment's consideration he says:

"Squads Yellow, Orange, Violet and Grey, make a defensive swarm. All remaining squads, start making runs on those turbo lasers."

Around half of the X-wings break off and make circular flights around the remaining fighters, using their laserfire, and their own ships as defense for the other squads. Ackbar winces as many of the X-wings explode under laserfire, as a result of the defense. Meanwhile the rest of the X-wing squads, race along the star destroyers, firing at the massive turbo laser turrets.

***

The Chimera

"Quick thinking." Thrawn praises. "But he forgot one thing."

"Which is?" Hux asks, unable to drag his eyes from the ongoing battle.

"I have more TIE fighters than he has X-wings." Thrawn says, with satisfaction.

Thrawn activates the comm.

"Send in the reserves."

A large group of TIE fighters, from behind the star destroyers fly out along the destroyer's sides and engage the X-wings in close range dogfighting.

"Come now Admiral, I want you to work for this." Thrawn says, with a hint of a smile.

Another frigate jumps out, and the star destroyers refocus on the next one over.

"How much longer can you keep this up Ackbar?" Thrawn ponders.

***

Canto Bight

Poe Dameron listens to the chatter of the battle above from inside the X-wing cockpit. There are very  TIEs remaining in the air over Canto Bight, and even those are harried by other X-wings. Poe cruises over the city, looking agitated.

"...heavy losses...TIEs everywhere...can't..." Poe clicks the commlink off.

BB-8 beeps sadly.

"No, we can't." Poe says. "Our job is just to stay down here and make sure all the civie's make it off the planet."

BB-8 beeps indignantly.

"I'm not any happier than you but that's...that's the job." He sighs.

Poe continues to fly over empty skies, looking bored. His eyes return to the commlink several times. He bites his lip. He clicks the commlink back on.

"...need reinforcements!...losing too many..."

Poe sits there, motionless for several moments. Then, setting his jaw, he tilts his control upwards, and the X-wing angles upward.

BB-8 beeps excitedly.

"Leia is gonna kill me..." Poe mutters.

***

The Chimera

"They are not doing as well as I anticipated," Thrawn says.

"You almost sound disappointed," Hux remarks.

"Did I misjudge the abilities of their pilots...?" Thrawn says thoughtfully.

"Sir! There's an X-wing breaking through our lines from outside the formation!" An officer calls out.

"An X-wing?" Hux ask confused. Suddenly he realizes. "No..."

"Get us a view." Thrawn orders.

The viewport magnifies a spot in the middle of a cluster of TIE fighters. There, a lone X-wing barrels through the fighters like they're nothing. The X-wing bobs and weaves around the TIEs, destroying any it can't get around. A group of three TIEs give the X-wing chase, spraying laserfire at it.

***

"What are you trying to hit? My shadow?" Poe says, spinning his X-wing to the side, avoiding the volley of laserfire.

He ducks his X-wing under a TIE on a crash course for him, its wail crying out from above. The fighters behind fire  again. Poe hits the throttle and shoves his control stick down. The laserbolts sail overhead, and Poe continues his path through the TIE fighter crowd. More are on his tail, first five, then seven.

A group forms up ahead, three TIEs flying right for Poe's X-wing. Poe makes no move to adjust his path. They open fire with their laser cannons. At the last moment, Poe jerks his control stick to the side, and the laserbolts sail past, blowing up one of the TIEs following him. Poe opens up on the TIE in front with his own canons. Both are hits and the TIE explodes.

Poe sails through debris, tilting his X-wing to avoid another volley of laserfire from behind. With green laser shots cutting off any avenue of escape, Poe pulls his control back, jerking his X-wing to a near-stop. Four of the TIES sail past. Poe opens up with his lasers canons, destroying all four. The remaining three TIEs behind Poe fire at him. He spins his X-wing around, dancing away from the laser bolts. Poe approaches the end of the TIE fighter cluster.

A wall of TIEs form, the barrier between the swarm and empty space. Dozens of TIE fighters race towards Poe, every one of them singularly focused on destroying him. Poe guns the X-wing's engine, speeding up. BB-8 beeps frantically.

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing." Poe reassures.

Dozens of green laserbolts are fired at Poe. He ducks below the first volley. Spins around another. The third volley consists of wild, frantic shots. Poe only dodges some of these and takes several grazes along the X-wing's hull.

"That all you got?" Poe says through gritted teeth.

He is almost to the wall of TIEs. He races towards them with no sign of altering his course. The three behind him climb to faster and faster speeds. BB-8 beeps with fear. Right before he hits the wall of TIEs Poe pulls up, just barely sailing above the first of the TIEs. The ones behind him however, are unable to pull up and crash into the group. One TIE crashes into another over and over. Dozens of collisions occur resulting in explosions throughout the group. There is now a wide opening where no TIE fighters remain.

"WOOO! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT!" Poe cheers.

BB-8 chatters cheerfully.

Poe sails through the opening, accelerating towards one of the star destroyers.

***

The Chimera

Hux looks on in shock at the trail of destruction Poe left in the TIE fighter ranks.

"Good," Thrawn says, nodding.

Hux spins around, looking at Thrawn with angry confusion.

"My estimations were not wrong, after all."

***

Poe steers his X-wing along the destroyer's side. A TIE is chasing an X-wing with gold paint on the side. A single burst from Poe's laser cannons blows the TIE into scrap.

"Is that you Poe?" Gold leader asks, over the commlink.

"Sure is. Hope you don't mind, things were getting a little boring down there. Sounded like you guys could use some help."

"Well I won't complain you're here. We need to take out these turbo lasers or we'll keep losing our cruisers one by one."

"Roger that. Let's trim this monster's claws."

Poe and Gold leader steer their X-wings towards one of the massive turbo laser turrets. They fire on the weapon, spraying all across the heavy gun's armor. Several small explosions occur, but it otherwise remains intact.

"Don't waste your torpedos just yet," Poe says. "Focus your fire at the center, we gotta group up our shots."

Poe and Gold Leader focus their laser cannons on a single point at the center of the turbolaser. They both unleash a steady stream of laserfire at that single point. The turret endures at first, but after a few moments, their shots burst though and the turbo laser explodes.

"Yeah! One down!" Poe cheers.

"Plenty more to go." Gold leader replies.

They race towards another turbolaser. A pair of TIEs swoop in to block them, firing green laser shots at them. Poe and Gold Leader split apart, avoiding the laserfire. One goes after gold leader the other goes after Poe. Poe guns his ship's engine, racing along, just above the destroyer's side. The TIE follows, blasting. Meanwhile Gold leader is being targeted similarly.

"Hey, wanna trade?" Poe says, with a smile.

"Sure thing." gold leader replies.

They both jerk their X-wings to the side, racing towards each other. The TIES follow, close behind. Poe fires at Gold Leader, and Gold leader fires at Poe. Both flip their ships sideways. The shots streak past and hit each of their TIE pursuers, blowing them to pieces.

"Think you almost took off a wing." Gold leader chides, pulling his X-wing alongside Poe's.

"You're still in one piece aren't you?" Poe replies.

They make another run at the turbolaser and blow through it in seconds. The third one comes down just as easy. A handful of other X-wings join them, and in minutes they clear the destroyer of its cannons.

"Alright boys, lets move onto the next one!"

***

The Raddus

Admiral Ackbar watches Poe take down turbolaser after turbolaser. He clicks on the comm.

"Poe I believe your mission was to secure the civilian transports below."

"Sorry Admiral, but things were pretty secure, and I couldn't keep listening to my men dying."

He sighs. "I understand...carry on."

"Thank you sir." the comm goes silent.

Ackbar sits back and sighs.

"The General isn't going to be happy..."

***

Canto Bight

Lorn and the Resistance fighters are exchanging fire with a group of stormtroopers. Lorn shoots one trooper in the head, then another in the chest, before the sheer number of blaster bolts force her to retreat to cover. Lorn and the soldiers guard a group of civilians, which Rose and Finn tend to.

"Are you finished yet!?" She calls over to Rose.

"Just about!" She calls back, finishing spaying up the wound of a civilian.

"Let's move then! This battle is over, and we need off the planet asap!" Lorn says, tossing a grenade at the stormtroopers.

The grenade explodes, and the group begins to move. Lorn takes the lead, and Finn ends up near the rear of the group. They run around a corner, as blaster-fire trails after them. They run through ruined buildings, and over blasted streets, not slowing for anything. Finally, the Corvette comes into view. Finn breathes a sigh of relief. He doesn't see the dark figure stepping out onto the street behind him.

Kylo Ren looks out at the group and raises his hand toward Finn. Finn jerks to a stop, mid run. He is dragged back by the force, tumbling to the ground in the process. Finn yells, as he is dragged across the cracked pavement. Finn slides up to Kylo, who looms over him.

"Hello...Finn was it? That what you decided to call yourself?" Kylo says, looking down.

"Friend came up with it actually." Finn groans.

He goes for the baton at his waist.

Kylo steps on Finn's wrist, grinding it into the pavement.

"That's a bad idea," Kylo say coldly. "I still haven't decided if I'm going to kill you or not."

"You...haven't decided?" Finn asks with confusion.

"If I do, it might push her over the edge. I'm not sure if I want that or not." Kylo says.

"...Rey." Finn says, with realization.

"Yes. Rey." Kylo confirms.

Kylo looks up to see the Resistance fighters have taken notice of him. They take aim at Kylo.

"Well, seems you have friends all over these days."

The fighters open fire on Kylo. He activates his lightsaber. The red blade becomes a spinning arc as it knocks away blaster bolts. He reaches out with one hand, then jerks it back. All of the Resistance fighter's blasters fly out of their hands, past Kylo to clatter across the ground. He looks back down to Finn.

"But they aren't going to save you. No one will. The only way you survive, is if I decide you do."

"Really? Because I haven't tried yet." A voice says.

Kylo looks back up to see Lorn dash forward. She fires her twin blasters at him. Kylo deflects both shots. Lorn points one of her gauntlets at Kylo, and a cable shoots out wrapping him up. With his arms restrained she fires another shot at Kylo's head. Kylo focuses on the bolt and it freezes in the air, just in front of his face.

"Take the civilians back to the ship and wait for me." She orders the soldiers.

They comply, ushering the civilians back towards the Corvette. Kylo tenses and the cable around him snaps. He leans to the side, and the blaster bolt resumes its momentum, flying past him. Lorn fires at him, but Kylo deflects the bolt and rushes forward to swing at her head. She ducks beneath the saber's blade and shuffles back. She fires another cable at Kylo, but he slices it in half. She aims her blasters again, but Kylo makes a pulling motion and both blasters fly from her hands.

"Enough!" Kylo says with anger.

"Not quite."

Lorn points one of her arms and a dart flyies out, thudding into  Kylo's arm. He is immediately seized by electrical convulsions. She closes the distance, throwing forward her other arm, ejecting a small, palm-sized blaster. Kylo rips the dart free a moment before she fires. The bolt grazes Kylo's forehead, only missing because of his last minute jerk to the side.

He hisses with pain. He looks up at her seething with anger. his free hand closes into a fist and the ground begins to crack underfoot. Lorn's hand goes to her back, but she hesitates.

"You should remember how many people you're fighting."

Kylo spins around just in time to get hit in the face by Finn's baton. The blow staggers him, and Kylo goes down to one knee. Finn swings the baton in a downward strike, while Lorn fires her blaster from the other side of Kylo. Kylo throws out both hands at either of them. Finn gets pushed back by the force, while Lorn's bolt is stopped midair. Lorn takes aim again, but Kylo throws his hand forward, and the bolt shoots back at her. She dodges it, but Kylo gestures and a large piece of rubble flies up at her. Lorn tries to avoid this, but the chunck of concrete slams into her side. Lorn staggers, nearly falling. Finn get back up and races towards Kylo thrusting with the baton. Kylo side steps it so Finn runs past, then he kicks Finn in the side. Finn grunts and stumbles forward. He retreats so he and Lorn are side by side.

"I don't think we can win this." Finn says, panting.

"We don't have to." Lorn replies.

She tosses a small sphere at Kylo. He throws up his hand, stopping it in mid air. The sphere ejects a thick gas, engulfing Kylo. He coughs, struggling to see past. After a moment, he closes his eyes and throws his arm out. The smoke blows away, and he is left standing alone. He looks down the street and sees Finn and Lorn in the distance running toward the Corvette. He reaches his hand towards them, but stops. He closes his hand and drops the arm, sighing.

***

Finn and Lorn rush up the corvette landing pad.

"Get us out of here!" Lorn orders.

The landing pad pulls up, and a moment later the ship rises into the air. There is a collective sigh of relief from Resistance fighters and civilians alike. Lorn is holding her side.

"You alright?" Finn asks.

Lorn grumbles. "Fine. Just getting too old for this. Back in my prime I would have had that kid. Maybe if I'd..." She shakes her head, dismissing whatever the thought was.

"Just who are you exactly?" Finn asks, staring at her.

"A merc." Lorn grunts. "And one that isn't being paid nearly enough..."

***

Phasma marches up to Kylo, flanked by a squad of stormtroopers.

"Where are the Resistance fighters?" She asks.

"Gone," Kylo says. "Escaped."

"From you?" She asked incredulous. Then, she's looks around, noting that Kylo is alone. Only dead stormtroopers lay in the street.

"Where's the squad assigned to you?" She asks.

"Dead." Kylo says simply.

"All of them?" Phasma exclaims. "They had you with them!"

Kylo Ren fixes a dark stare at her. "They were only stormtroopers."

He walks past Phasma, leaving her to stare as the bodies of dead troopers, littering the street.

***

The Chimera

"Sir, the X-wing are inflicting heavy damage! Forty percent of our cannons are destroyed or too damaged to operate!"

"Your strategy is failing Thrawn!" Hux hisses.

Thrawn, raises an eyebrow. "Is it?"

Hux looks out the viewport, uncertain. "Y...yes."

Another of the frigates jumps to hyperspace, and the destroyers refocus their targets again.

"They are slowly crippling our offensive capabilities, yes. But in doing so they are causing heavy damage to their own supply of fighters. We can afford to repair our turbolasers, but there are only so many good pilots in the galaxy." Thrawn explains. "They can not keep this attack up for much longer."

"Still it seems..." Hux's voice trails off, as Poe's X-wing approaches the Chimera.

"Like they're winning? Come now, Hux. Did you think that this was my whole plan?"

Poe makes his approach on the chimera. Thrawn activated the comm.

"I want all TIE fighters to stay clear of the X-wing currently approaching my ship. Let him do his damage."

"You're just going to let him..." Hux looks back out the viewport. "...it has to do with your ship, doesn't it? Just like before."

"Nothing so extravagant." Thrawn says. "Just a minor alteration to some of the guns. That pilot probably won't even notice..."

***

Poe fires his laser cannons at one of the Chimera's turbolasers. He increases his rate of fire as he approaches. The cannon takes damage, but does not explode. Poe races past, around and fires another volley at the other side. The Turbo laser finally gives in, exploding into debris. He flies towards another, and rather than use his cannons, Poe fires a proton torpedo at its center. The turbolaser explodes instantly.

"How's that feel!" Poe says, laughing.

He flies at another turbolaser. He fires a torpedo like before, and the turbolaser explodes. His X-wing sails over the debris. A black, flat oval, shoots out from the remains of the turbolaser snagging onto the bottom of Poe's X-wing. It immediately cloaks, turning invisible.

"BB, thought I felt something. We catch any damage from that debris?"

BB-8 beeps a negative.

"Long as we're still in one piece." Poe replies.

***

The Raddus

"All X-wings pull back, this mission is over." Admiral Ackbar orders over the Comm.

Several corvettes and X-wings fly off Canto Bight to join the Resistance fleet .

"Sir! Rescue teams have returned!" An officer yells to Admiral Ackbar.

"Prepare for jump to hyperspace!" Ackbar orders.

***

The Chimera

"They're about to escape!" General Hux yells.

Thrawn says nothing, though a slight smile remains on his face. Hux looks on with horror as one by one the Resistance ships leap to hyperspace.

"Just what happened to your perfect plan!? Your decades of experience!?" Hux spits, glaring at Thrawn.

"Once again Hux, you are failing to see the bigger picture." Thrawn chides.

"Which is!?"

"If I desired, there were a number of strategies I could have used to deal more significant damages to the rebel fleet. Do you know why I did not choose one of those?"

"No admiral I do not!" Hux says, barely containing his rage.

"Because no matter which of those strategies I pick, none of them would guarantee the total destruction of the rebels. Not only that, but we do not even know for sure that this is their entire fleet."

Hux stares at Thrawn looking confused. "Then...what was the point of all of this!?"

"The point, General Hux." Thrawn says cooly. "Was to place a nearly undetectable beacon on one of the Resistance ships during the battle. That part of the strategy was completed quite efficiently."

"You...you put a tracker on one of their ships?" Hux says.

"I did." Thrawn confirmed.

"They'll lose it." Hux says. "As soon as they scan their ships they'll discover it."

"They would, however this particular beacon, is designed to remain dormant. It will only begin to send out a signal once its timer reaches zero. I set the timer quite long in case multiple stops were made before arriving at their base of operations." Thrawn explains.

"So it'll send out a signal once they're back at their base..." Hux says with realization. His eyes narrow. "There is one very big problem with that. Once they detect the signal, they'll have ample time to clear out of their base before we can get there."

"Very good, General. Perhaps I misjudged your competence. Yes that would be an issue, however there is one final feature of this beacon. The moment it sends out the signal it will also release a pulse that will temporarily disable any nearby starships. This sort of pulse would be useless if the ships had their shields up. But in the comfort of their own base..."

"They'll be completely vulnerable." Hux says with realisation.

"Precisely." Thrawn says. "The rebels have not gotten away. In fact they are about to be wiped out for good."

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

517 33 29
this is the reboot of my Skywalker Trilogy Rewrite hope you all enjoy The Skywalkers were the most powerful jedi in the galaxy and the most respected...
15.1K 253 42
Basically a place to put all of my random thoughts about Star Wars. Includes short stories and I'm willing to do one shots, so requests are accepted!!
1.6K 77 11
This is a story that takes place five years after the events of the Last Jedi. Though I did enjoy the Rise of Skywalker, I expected the Knights of Re...
376K 6.3K 63
Well uh, the title kinda explains it:) I'm kinda done with the book, I've been writing chapters lately but updates are very slow All the chapters are...