Transparent: A Divergent FanF...

Por Gatubellina

"Truth makes us transparent..." In sixteen-year old Sage Stronghold's world, civilization has been divided in... Más

Transparent: A Divergent FanFiction (Book One)
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue
~

Chapter 24

14.2K 477 296
Por Gatubellina

               Huddling into a loosely-formed circle, we all grouped around Amar and leaned forward in anticipation.

                “In about fifteen minutes, the other team will pick their location. I would advise you all to take this time and put together a strategy. We’re not erudite, but intellectual awareness is an important portion of your dauntless training.”

                We all nodded in agreement, and as Amar took a step back and crossed his arms, I realized he wouldn’t be the one calling the shots. There were a few moments of awkward silence, and I realized our group would need a nudge to get going. We couldn’t waste any time.

                “We should make a plan before anything else.” I offered, taking the flag from Amar and toying with it, hoping someone else would step up and take charge.

                “Who says you get to make the rules around here, transfer?” one of the dauntless-born boys asked. He had short wiry hair and skeptical eyes.

                “Well none of you are pitching any ideas.” Dan said as he came to stand next to me.

                “Well maybe we just didn’t get the chance to.” The boy said with a scoff.

                “Then maybe you should’ve jumped in sooner.” Dan snapped back.

                Not wanting things to take a turn for the worst, I held an arm out and gave Dan what I considered my best calm-down-I’ve-got-this look.

                “Jude, relax,” I heard Finn say to the boy as he placed a hand on his shoulder.

                Holding the flag as if it were an offering, I spoke to everyone in a clear voice.

               “If any of you want to take the reins, by all means go ahead.” I said calmly, and when no one answered continued. “Like I was saying, we should form a plan of attack. It would be stupid to just go running off without a clue on what to do.”

                “I agree, so how should we start this?” Finn said.

                I looked at our teammates, and then ran a hand through my hair as I considered what to say.

               “I think we should find a good place to hide our flag, keep it guarded with a few people, and the rest of us could go out and try and find the other team’s location.” I proposed.

                Dan, Grace, Todd and Pam nodded, satisfied with my proposal, and I watched as the dauntless-born exchanged glances amongst themselves. It was only when Finn gave them all a look that they seemed to relax. What I’d previously thought when I first met him was true then. Finn was, undeniably, someone they all looked up to and respected; enough, so that if he was willing to give my plan his seal of approval, they could as well.

               The monstrous boy, Biff, was the first to speak. “How should we split up?” He asked, cracking his knuckles in anticipation.

                I gave our group a quick glance, accessing their strengths and weaknesses, and then grabbed a nearby twig so I could create a sketch in the muddy ground.

“We find a good, inconspicuous location to hide the flag first-“ I said as I drew a little x and circled it.

                “I know a place,” one of the dauntless-born girls said. I recognized the blue streak in her hair and remembered Randi had introduced her as her best friend.

                “Ava right?” I asked. “What did you have in mind?”

                Ava snatched the stick out of my hand and quickly drew what seemed like a little bridge.

               “If we head south, we’ll come to a bridge. We can hide the flag in-between the beams and then position two people up top with it, and then two others as snipers on the sides.” She pointed, drawing four little circles.

                I liked the idea, and I couldn’t help but grin with newfound confidence. “Sounds good. Now the question is, who would be the best to stay and guard, and who’d be better for reconnaissance?”

                “Ava should stay, for sure,” Finn spoke up as he took the stick from her. “She’s one of our best sharp shooters.” He wrote a little A next to the bridge. “And maybe this sounds rash, but I think we should take our most physically strong players and form a unit to ambush the other team.”

                “I like it,” I agreed. “Who would-“

                “Wouldn’t waiting for them to come to us be more logical though?” Randi interrupted with a frown. “If we wait, we could avoid casualties.”

                “Where’s the fun in that?” Dan rebuked. “I vote we go all out.”

                Most everyone burst into assents of approval, and so I gave Randi an apologetic grin as I began to split up the group.

                Given that Grace was actually a pretty good marksman; I quickly paired her with Ava. And since Todd and Pam were still recuperating from their injuries, Finn and I figured it’d be better for them to stay as well. That left me, Dan, Finn, Biff, Jude, and Randi on the assault unit. Amar had originally been part of our strike team, but after seeing how easily Ava was losing her patience with Todd and Pam, he opted to stay and keep watch.

                In complete silence, and without ever turning on our flashlights, we made our way toward the marsh that was once a lake, and up the bridge.

                Amar and Ava quickly hid the flag and then strategically positioned Grace, Todd, and Pam. Camouflaging into the surrounding trees and framework of the bridge, they were nearly invisible to the naked eye. With them in position, it was now up to us to do our part to win the game.

                “So where do you think they are hiding?” Finn asked as he jogged beside me.

                I didn’t answer right away; instead taking a moment to scan the surrounding buildings. Just at the end of the marsh, there was a strip of land that jutted out, and rising from it was a giant metal wheel with dozens of passenger cars dangling from it at regular intervals.

                “Let’s start there, at the Ferris wheel,” I said, jerking my head in its general direction.

                Walking down the side of the pier, we split into two groups so we’d be able to cover more ground. Finn left with Biff and Jude, and Randi and Dan stayed with me. All the buildings we passed seemed empty, with their signs faded, windows broken, and a couple with their roof’s collapsed.

                “What makes you think they’re hiding here?” Randi asked after she’d returned from searching an empty food stand. “Doesn’t it seem like it’s too close to where we are? I don’t think they’d risk keeping it where we could so easily come across it.”

                I lifted a fallen metal sign and peeked under it, then quietly placed it down and continued to search as I spoke. “That’s exactly why I think they’re hiding it here.” I said.

                “Explain please?” She asked, frowning as she tried to make sense of my words.

                “Did you notice that blonde guy in our group?”

                “The creepy, quiet one?” She nodded quickly. “Yeah, what about him?”

                “His names is Banks, and let’s just say whenever he’s involved in anything, there’s never good news.” I said as I peeked in another window.

                “It’s true Randi, the guy is not right.” Dan agreed as he wrinkled his nose. “He’s the reason Todd and Pam are all beaten up you know.”

                Randi frowned and said nothing as we continued to search. It wasn’t until Dan had left to check a nearby carousel that she spoke again.

                “Have you fought him yet?” She asked in nearly a whisper.

                “Who, Banks? No, not yet.” I answered. “But when I get my hands on him-“ I growled, unable to hide my resentment towards him.

                “Don’t talk like that.” Randi suddenly hissed. “Please, don’t be like them.”

                “Like who?” I asked, completely bewildered at her abrupt change in attitude.

                She stopped walking and turned to stare at me. Her eyes burned, and I could see there were secrets brewing behind them. She bit her lip, and I wanted desperately to make her trust me and tell me all her fears.

                “I don’t want you to be like everyone else. I’d hate to see you be like Marko, Max, or this Banks person. I don’t want you to be just another brainless adrenaline junkie that enjoys hurting people.” She said fervently. “I want you to always be you. Just you. The selfless boy that saved me, that didn’t fight just to prove something to others, that knows the clear difference between right and wrong.”

                I was taken aback at just how much passion resonated in her voice, in her expressions, in her every action. For someone that hadn’t been raised candor, she certainly had a way with words. Touched by her concern for me, I stopped searching and without pausing to think about it, wrapped her in a gentle embrace.

                She hesitated only for an instant, and then her arms were around me.

                “I will never be like them Randi. It’s not in me to be cruel for the sake of entertainment or reputation.” I muttered. “I’ll always be me, even if it gets me into trouble. I was raised that way, to be honest with myself above all else.”

                “Then why do you seem so eager to face Banks?” She whispered into my shirt.

                I tensed at his name, but immediately relaxed when I realized this action would only serve to strengthen her fears.

               “I won’t lie to you, I am definitely anxious and ready to get to fight with him, but it’s not for the reasons you think.” I pulled away and held her at arm’s length, willing her to look me in the eye and believe what I had to say. “He’s hurting people left and right, without any sign of remorse or regret. If I don’t put him in his place, who will? The beatings will only escalate until he finally kills someone.”

                As my words hit home, I could see she understood. Shaking her head, she frowned and bit her lip again. “What if he hurts you?”

                I chuckled lightly, and let her go. “Pshh, please Randi, that’s almost insulting. I haven’t lost yet, and I certainly don’t plan on doing so when faced with him, or anyone else for that matter.”

                She rolled her eyes, and just like that, the sudden charge of emotions was gone. Her mask of composure was back, and she wasn’t about to say more. “Whatever, just be careful.” She said. Grinning, she ribbed me with her elbow and laughed playfully. “You know, you’re not as tough as you think.”

                “Oh no?” I answered, pretending to be hurt by her words.

                “No.” She retorted, twirling a piece of hair around her finger. “I bet I could take you down a peg or two.”

                “Hah! Yeah right. I’d like to see you try.” I growled playfully.

                “Maybe I will.” She said.

                “Oh really?” I leaned forward, predatorily, and as I slowly began to stalk towards her with a grin on my face, her eyes grew wide and she looked ready to bolt away.

                Without skipping a beat, she turned, ran, and then pivoted down the pier. Only managing to take about five steps, I had her in an inescapable hold within a matter of seconds.

                She stifled a laugh and squirmed as she tried to escape. “Or maybe not?” She said through a wide smile.

                “All bark and no bite eh?” I joked.

                “Oh I have plenty of bite Stronghold, don’t you doubt it.” She retorted.

                We were still playing around when I heard a crunch of gravel behind me. Like a child caught doing something bad, I let go of Randi and leapt away to a chaste distance.

                Dan stared at us, a knowing smirk on his face, and tried but failed to hide a snort.

                “Hate to interrupt your super important, top secret, in depth search, but-“ he jerked his head behind him, “-I think I found something.”

                My face burned, and I saw a Randi’s cheeks flush dark pink. We hadn’t really been doing anything wrong; just fooling around like any pair of friends would. Right?

               Sharing a silly grin, I cleared my throat and straightened my jacket before following Dan.

               “It’s not what you think.” I whispered.

               “Oh? And what is it that you think I’m thinking?” Dan mused with a mischievous smile on his features.

               “Dan. I-just-err-it’s not-you see-” I stammered. “You’re so immature sometimes…”

               He chuckled under his breath, and I rolled my eyes at him in the darkness. Slinking past the Ferris wheel, around the carousel, and through a maze of kiosks, we kept a tight formation until we found Finn and his team. If it was really the other group, we’d need all of us to succeed.

               When we approached the place Dan thought he’d spotted the others, I quickly held out my hand to indicate that we needed to be quiet. It took me a second, but then my sharp eyes saw them.

               My pulse raced, and I could feel adrenaline surge through my veins.

                With the moonlight casting an eerie light over everything, I was able to just make out the figures. Hidden among the shadows of an ancient rollercoaster, I thought I recognized Banks and Marko.

               I was feeling confident until I realized the flag wasn’t actually anywhere around them. I searched their surroundings and saw nothing. It wasn’t until I craned my head that I understood why they’d chosen to hide in the beams of the coaster.

               I saw my objective and my stomach instantly dropped. Up above, on the first high peak of the rollercoaster, the flag fluttered in an almost mocking way.

               To try and take their flag would be a suicide mission.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

372K 10.7K 79
Book One +++ This book is part of a series +++ Book One [You are here] : The Truth After Allegiant Book Two : Learning to Trust Book Three : All for...
29.6K 580 35
ALLEGIANT SPOILERS! After Tris's death, Tobias goes to see her in the weapons lab. When he gets there, he realizes that he went only to be greeted wi...
10.4K 797 29
●●●●●【 T H E O T H E R P R I O R 】●●●●● Sixteen year old, Alivia Prior finally chooses her faction. But here's the news: she's Divergent, j...
68.1K 1.5K 21
The five factions. Amity, the peaceful. Erudite, the intelligent. Candor, the honest. Abnegation, the selfless. Dauntless, the brave. Cecelia Parker...