Darkness (II)

HeyOreos88 által

DARKNESS, the second instalment in the Marked Series. Won first place in the SNOWFLAKE AWARDS Werewolf catego... Több

FOREWORD
INFORMATION
DARKNESS SOUNDTRACK
PART ONE: DISCOVERY
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
PART TWO: LOST
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
PART 3: DARKNESS
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

120 16 3
HeyOreos88 által

The next morning, I awoke to shouts.

At first they didn't register; I was too far gone in the throes of sleep to detect anything other than the feeling of sheets gliding against my bare thighs. I simply turned my head into my pillow, murmuring contentedly.

However, as the screams increased in volume, my dreams faded into nothingness and I shot up in my bed.

I stumbled upwards, my feet snagging on the ruffled covers. My heart banged against my ribcage, stuttering and screaming, forcing me towards the drawn curtains. We're under attack. We're under attack. We're under attack.

My hands flew upwards and grasped the heavy material before throwing it sideways. Light exploded into the room and for a moment I couldn't see, blinded by the searing sunlight and my own panic. My blood was singing beneath my skin, though not for joy nor power; it was screeching, curdling and lapsing, desperately pleading that I checked what was happening.

My sight returned after what felt like aeons and relief flooded through me as if fed by an intravenous drip. The shouts were in fact hollers of encouragement, and the grunts of pain were merely results of training. Men and women alike were outside, barely clothed and fighting ferociously.

I sighed deeply, feeling the weight lift from my chest. This was a sight I was used to; the blood, the sweat, the pain....they were all elements of my past, ingrained into me like stains upon white cloth.

Part of me ached to join in. Even Vilkov and Lexus were there, throwing well-aimed kicks and punches at each-other until their bodies became blurs, burning harshly against the green backdrop. It was what I was good at...it was what I was bred to do.

Fighting was as much a part of me as my power was.

Thea, who was cheering for Damien as he easily took down a pack warrior, noticed me by the window and smiled, motioning wildly for me to come down. I rolled my eyes but slunk towards the wardrobe, requiring little convincing.

I emerged outside a matter of minutes later, clothed in a t-shirt and shorts. I'd concealed my mark, of course, and tied my hair back, leaving me with a short ponytail that thumped against my neck disconsolately.

"Isa!" Thea beamed, her voice somewhat muffled by the clamour of those fighting.

"Hey." I said, unconsciously searching for Phoenix. Within moments I'd spotted him, standing guard over Lexus and Vilkov as they fought, clothed in only a pair of loose-fitting bottoms.

The sight of him pulled at me. I'd encased myself in a glove of ice, desperately trying to numb myself to the world, but each time I saw him my self-made cage was broken, torn down by an insatiable roar of fire, a desperate shout of anguish, a sleeve of strong and invisible wind.

"Isa..." Thea whispered, reaching for my hand.

Phoenix turned at my name, those damnably beautiful eyes searching for mine, searching for something that was no longer his. I immediately looked down. I couldn't handle it anymore. I couldn't stomach the sight of him without feeling that loneliness; that awful, earth-shattering loneliness, completely unfounded yet utterly real. I'd tried to act unfazed but my efforts were in vain, lost to the growing ache of rejection.

"Phoenix!"

Anger, not entirely my own, turned my blood to ice. Terra was running towards Phoenix, dressed in just a sports bra and shorts. I felt his gaze leave me as quickly and seamlessly as it had found me.

She tackled him to the floor, shrieking in russian. He barely smiled as he took her in his arms. My heart panged.

Lexus walked towards me, wiping the beads of sweat from his brow. Vilkov had beaten him, though not with ease; the Gamma had put up a good fight, only failing because of fatigue.

"Hey, Isa." he said, grinning.

I tried to distract myself with the man before me. "Hey." I replied.

The auburn-haired male seemed to sense my distress and looked over his shoulder at Phoenix and Terra, who'd risen from the floor and were standing sentinel, watching their pack-mates fight. I gritted my teeth.

"Do you want to spar?" he asked, waggling his eyebrows suggestively. "I promise I won't bite."

I was about to politely decline when Thea pulled me aside, her eyes pleading with mine. "Say yes, Isa."

I stared at her for a moment, my wrist still caught in her hand, before the realisation hit me in a sudden flash. This was yet another chance for me to prove myself, eminently ripe and ready for the taking. Wolves feasted on power. Their entire dynasty was founded upon it...the very idea that they could conquer with ease was what kept them standing.

"They want to see power." I stated, tilting my head. Thea nodded, glancing at the lycans who had now formed a circle, surrounding Lexus and I.

I raised an eyebrow. "Then they will see power."

Lexus' eyes, usually blue and flooded with warmth, darkened at the challenge. His wolf's scent spilled into the air, thick and heady with the promise of power.

This time, I didn't hesitate. When the past called me, beckoning me into its icy depths, I willingly submerged myself until I could scarcely breathe for the power that coursed through my blood. The Gamma began to circle me, his steps measured.

Then, as fast as a cobra, he flung his arm out and hit me. Hard.

I stumbled backwards before righting myself. Lexus sprang forward but this time I was ready. As he aimed a kick at my ribcage I sidestepped, feeling the whistle of wind across my cheek as his leg flew outwards, missing me by inches.

He was quick. Damnably so. I'd right myself and then he'd be back, trying to strike once again, his body a blur of fists and kicks. Each time I would dodge.

But he was tiring. Three minutes in and he was stumbling, coughing, his balance slipping into something loose and uncoordinated.

He readied himself for another attack, clenching his left fist.

He surged forward, bringing his arm backwards, stupidly revealing his move to me.

I smiled.

And then, just before his fist could land on my cheek, I grabbed his wrist and flung him, hard, over my hip.

He hit the ground with a dull thud. He sprawled, limbs askew, blood running freely from his nose. My back straightened.

I'd won.

Lexus groaned. The power receded into the murky depths of my mind and with it went my bloodlust, leaving me with only the onset of guilt. I dropped to a low crouch and examined the Gamma in one fleeting glance. He appeared unscathed, albeit for his bleeding nose; however, that would soon right itself, thanks to his werewolf genes.

He rose unsteadily, taking me with him. He ran a hand through his auburn hair and regarded me with renewed respect. Shock swam in his eyes, though he did his best to hide it.

"Well, shit." Lexus remarked, no traces of hostility in his voice, "You're terrifying."

I grinned despite myself. "Not as terrifying as your cooking, Lex." the nickname escaped my lips before I could stop it.

"Firstly, HA!" he shouted, pointing at Vilkov. "I have a nickname and you don't."

He then turned back to me, his eyes wide and burning with what I could only hope was feigned hurt. "Secondly, I CAN FUCKING COOK, OKAY? I gave somebody food poisoning ONE TIME and suddenly everyone thinks I can't cook! You weren't complaining when I made you Mac and Cheese last week, now were you?"

"Yes." Phoenix grumbled under his breath. "Literally everyone was complaining."

Terra elected to walk forward before Lexus could reply, her features worn and sagging with guilt. The remark she'd made about my mother whispered in my ear and anger simmered just beneath my skin, ready to boil up at any given moment.

"I'm sorry for what I said yesterday, Isa." Terra apologised, her voice soft and trembling with emotion. "I...I didn't think, it was so cruel of me—"

"Do you know what they say about Hunters, Terra?" I asked, my voice quiet but undermined by steely power. I walked forward and Terra took a small, hesitant step back, her eyes widening with something akin to fear. "They say that they never forgive, nor do they forget."

"Isa..." Vilkov cautioned but Phoenix held up a hand, watching me advance upon the girl with narrowed eyes.

When I was just a few inches away from Terra I stopped, a small smirk tugging at my lips. "You'll be glad to know that I'm not a Huntress, then."

She released a heaving breath, her entire body relaxing. "So you forgive me?"

I tilted my head. "Sure."

It was a lie, of course. I'd forgiven her for her slight against me but I could never, despite her obliviousness, forgive her dalliances with my mate, nor her remark about my mother.

"Aren't you going to say hello, Phee?" Terra asked after a moment's silence, smiling at the brooding man.

I smirked at the nickname. "Yes, Phee, why don't you say hello?" he looked directly at me, his eyes blackening as he noticed the way my shirt rode up, revealing my toned stomach. "I promise I don't bite."

I held my hand out, my mind whirling with an equal measure of anger and sadness, love and hatred, passion and compliance. He drew closer, his breaths mingling with my own, the heat of his body warming the air between us. The bond between us snapped back into place, thrumming and alive with energy.

His eyes met mine; blue against green, darkness raging against light. Wordlessly, he stuck out a hand, palm facing towards me. I released the breath I didn't realise I'd been holding and slid my own hand into his, momentarily revelling in the way his skin brushed against mine, sending my nerves into a frenzy.

"Hello, Isa." Phoenix said huskily, his gaze dropping to my swollen lips.

I could scarcely breathe through the sense of betrayal and longing but somehow, I managed to speak. "Hello, Phoenix." I said, all traces of boldness wiped from my countenance.

For just a moment, something flickered in his eyes...longing, or perhaps hurt, but it was gone before I could grasp at it. With great reluctance he retracted his hand, leaving me barren and unnervingly cold.

"Well..." Vilkov said, his eyes darting between Phoenix, a greatly confused Terra and I, "you are looking very well, Isa. You're adjusting to our way of life, I hope?"

I forced a smile. "Yes, I am. It's very..."

I paused, looking for the right word. Stressful? Traumatic? An absolute fucking joke?

"Interesting?" I said, biting my lip.

Vilkov raised his eyebrows, giving me a rare smile. "Interesting? Is that all?"

I looked contemplatively into the woods. Wolves weaved in and out of the trees, their brown coats blending with the forest scenery, their howls and excited yips permeating the morning air.

"Of course not." I replied, willing the scarlet tint from my cheeks. "It's also very....wolf-esque."

Thea muffled a snort behind her hand whilst Damien, who'd just won his fight against a high-ranking warrior, shook his head, feigned disdain etched across his face.

"Wolf-esque." Vilkov repeated, nodding. "Alright. I'm slightly concerned about your vocabulary, but alright. That'll do."

Thea tugged at my arm. "Damien is taking me out on a date, so—"

"I am?" Damien asked, alarmed.

"So you might not see me until this evening." she finished, shooting a glare at Damien, who immediately threw his hands up in surrender.

I stared at the Luna, my eyes widening. What on earth was I to do, if not sit in my room and watch Netflix with Thea?

"B-but we haven't finished Stranger Things..." I implored, desperation leaking into my voice.

"Don't fret, Isa." Terra interjected, smiling warmly. She seemed so intent on befriending me...it made me feel bad, for she didn't understand why I acted so hostile towards her. "We have an indoor pool on the ground floor...you could always spend a little time there!"

I tilted my head and shrugged, warming to the idea. Phoenix's eyes were resting solely on me but I paid him no heed, occupying myself with the idea of cool water and silence.

"Thanks, Terra." I said, offering her a tentative, sincere smile. "That sounds good."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I walked into the pool room hours later, crossing my arms over my bare stomach.

The water was crisp and inviting, lapping in small waves, glittering in the light that filtered through the window. I approached the edge and dipped a toe in and shivered at the sensation. I'd missed swimming. I hadn't done it in years, thanks to my father's adamance that training had to become my life.

After a few moments I slid into the water and it molded around me like a glove. I kicked my legs and spread my arms out, floating atop the glassy surface, my chin bobbing in and out. Here I felt free, unchained and unbound; the water washed seemed to wash all the sin and hurt from my body, whispering across my flesh in small ripples.

I was about to close my eyes and fully unwind when I heard a splash, shattering my self-induced stupor. I threw my head upwards, only to see Phoenix in the other lane, cleaving the water in strong, rhythmic strokes.

"Shit." I muttered aloud.

There was no one in the room but us. I knew he could sense me; in fact, it was probably my scent that drew him in here.

I sighed and pushed myself underwater, gliding towards the ladder. I couldn't stay here now; his mere presence was too distracting. It seemed my period of relaxation had been cruelly interrupted by the one person I wanted to avoid. Frustration made me welcome the sting of chlorine in my eyes.

I resurfaced just as my lungs began to scream for air and threw my head back, trailing droplets of water backwards in a large, sweeping arc. I closed my eyes for just a moment and ran my hands through my sodden hair, inhaling deeply.

"Isa."

The sound of my name upon his lips had my eyes flying open. He'd stopped swimming and was now standing directly in front of me, blocking the ladder. I looked up at him and folded my arms, trying to appear as blase as possible. His black hair was wet and sopping, falling in unruly curls across his eyes. His stare travelled lazily from my bikini-clad breasts to my stomach and heat rushed to my cheeks.

"Phoenix." I said stiffly, trying desperately not to stare at his toned torso.

"We need to talk." he said, so quietly that I almost didn't hear. I scoffed and turned away, wading towards the other ladder.

"Talk about what?" I demanded, voice hard. "The fact that you lied to me? The fact that you have a fucking girlfriend?"

"I don't care for her in that way, Isa." he murmured.

I shook my head, not bothering to look back at him. "It sure looked like you did when you were hugging her, Phee. Do you enjoy it, Alpha? Fucking my life over? Because you're doing a fantastic job. I could go back to America, if you'd—"

Within an instant he had me pressed against the wall, his leg parting mine. My eyes widened in shock and before I could protest he wiped the concealer off of my mark, revealing the garish black ink.

"You're mine." he growled, pushing his body against mine. I gasped, dizzied by the sudden influx of contact, and he pinned my wrists before I could push him away. "You could run to the ends of the earth but I'd still find you, tigritsa."

"Where are you, Phee?"

Phoenix practically threw me to the side, paling at the sound of Terra's voice. I drew a few tresses of my hair and splayed them over the mark, watching in resignation as my mate straightened, smiling as Terra entered the room. Her eyes flew to me.

"Hello, Isa!" she greeted, oblivious to my inward hurt. "I see you discovered the pool."

Phoenix spoke before I could. "I arrived to see her struggling in the deep end."

"And you saved her?" asked Terra, who smiled fondly at the thought.

"Yes." he lied, words spilling out of his mouth with ease.

I could hardly breathe. The pain was palpable. It was as if a wound had just started to heal and Phoenix had ripped it open once more, and from it poured anger and heartbreak and hurt. I looked down at the water and bit my lip so hard I almost drew blood.

"It's true." I said dryly, schooling my features into impassiveness. "I clearly cannot swim. Woe is me. What a pitiful life I lead."

I grabbed the ladder with both hands and climbed out of the pool, water sluicing my form. Terra hurried to my side, a white towel already in hand. Somehow I managed to smile at her, unwarranted betrayal coiled, almost imperceptibly, upon the curl of my lips.

"Thank you." I muttered, pulling it around my shoulders.

I saw Phoenix grasp the ladder and immediately fled to the door, my body trembling with unease. The closer he got to me, the more vulnerable I felt.

"Isa—" he began, but I was already gone.

QUESTION FOR TODAY: What's your favourite TV show?

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

618K 20K 53
Book one in the Legendary Lunas series. Completed. ****************************************** He moved as quickly as a bolt of lightning. Suddenly he...
1M 42.6K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
219K 11.8K 62
Even the happiest fairy tales are rooted in nightmares, twisted to entertain children and lure them into false pretenses. After seventeen years in i...
2.7M 75.4K 73
Family problems were something Sasha had become accustomed to. An Alpha werewolf mate was something she was definitely not accustomed to. Sasha is a...