P.R.I.S.M of Memories -on Hold

Da moonchildlilith

Conrad has no memories of making contact with an international terrorist over two years ago. A normal life i... Altro

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Original Character Art
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
New cover art!!

Chapter Nineteen

39 3 0
Da moonchildlilith

~Conrad~

I don't dare turn away from the blade rushing to meet me. I hear Astra screaming something but I can't make out the words. Or maybe I'm screaming.

Every single sense consumes me. Stills of memories are flashing, moving too quickly that I can only see every other one. But I can touch, taste, feel every memory as it slips past me into darkness.

Laura...Grandma...Dad...Mom...Astra...her blood soaking through my shirt as I struggle to carry her limp body....

It disappears into the recess of darkness before I can take a second look. ...The playback is over. It's over.

I'm dead. I'm such a coward.

My eyes close. The sharp clang of the blade hitting something solid and then metallic scraping the floor somewhere close by me.

I open my eyes.

I'm still alive. I don't know if I can keep dealing with this.

It's like the Grim Reaper can't make up his mind.

(I would start the music here)

Bear Ringer looks furious. He turns around and then immediately bows with his head touching the stone floor. I look and see the others scurrying away from their seats and down the steps to assume the same low bow as Bear Ringer. Even Data has done the same near Bear Ringer.

Wha-

Astra's warm arms encircle me in a protective embrace as she glares fiercely at the only Elder who had remained standing. A tall slender woman wearing a black evening gown that hugged her body too closely with skirts reaching to the floor, a slit in the black skirt revealed a layer of dark purple tulle. She daintily picks up her skirts and slowly descends the steps that separate us from her.

I retreat a little more into Astra's arms as I see her predominantly white mask changing into a luminescent gold and even the silver markings seem to be shifting as well. The air is thick with apprehension and fear. Even I sense something is off with this Elder. Such an oppressive presence...this definitely wasn't here before.

I start the breathing exercise again. Now is not the time to become unhinged.

I breathe in.

Everything will be fine.

Out. One step closer.

Liar.

Breathe in.

Everything will work out.

Out. Another step towards us.

Liar.

Breathe in.

I'm not going to die.

Says you.

Distract yourself. Think of other things.

Wasn't the Director in charge? Yet Aristotle was trembling and about to kiss the damn floor. The Elder came to a stop right before us. She drops her skirts and reaches a hand out to me.

"What treat have you brought me, my precious child?"

Her seductive and sultry voice takes me by surprise. I thought she would sound...I don't know...more severe. I feel Astra's hold on me grow tighter.

She titters. "Stand before me, young man. I would like a better look into those eyes."

I don't want to. This lady frightens me for some reason. Maybe because everyone seems ready to pee on themselves.

But...I don't want her to hurt Astra. Their magic is like nothing I've ever seen and they don't seem to have a problem using it on one of their own. I pry myself from Astra's grip and slowly stand up with my palms raised. 

She gently tilts my chin upwards and lowers her face to mine. The light from her mask hurts my eyes. Like staring at the sun too long. I try not to flinch but I feel my body trembling.

"Fascinating...."

"Great Magi...."

Her head snaps toward Astra and she pushes me back. "I do not believe you have answered my question."

I kneel down behind Astra and I feel disgusted by myself. I'm literally using Astra as a shield right now.

Astra bows, the same low bow as everyone else. "Great Magi, please forgive me!"

"I did not ask you to grovel before me. I asked you a question. Rise and acknowledge me."

She sounds so sultry and yet...there's an edge in there now.

"I...found him by accident, Lady Magi. I can't explain how but...Conrad is definitely one of us. He was able to resist my hypnosis and...it's why Elder Aristotle couldn't read him."

...One of us? What is she saying? There's no way in hell I'm part of this cult. Unless...is she saying I can do magic too?!

Her face shifts back to mine. I can't see what she is thinking. Part of me felt like she is pursing her lips, contemplating what Astra said.

"My Lady Magi?"

Lady Magi's attention turns to Aristotle.  "Speak."

He changes into a kneeling position. "Surely...the Great Magi is not considering Astra's recommendation to consider the boy for candidacy? Even if he possesses some talent, he could not be trusted with the secrets of the Order."

Well he sure sounds humble. Not at all like the high and mighty ass he just was earlier. And candidacy? For what? If I talk I'll probably make things worse but I feel like things are going pretty shitty for me anyways.

"There is nothing to be considered. The nomination has been accepted."

Aristotle seems at a loss for words. Everyone else's faces were still kissing the floor so I don't know if this is something good or bad...though I'm pretty sure this is bad.

"Lady Magi, I beseech thee to reconsider. Astra's recent behavior amounts to treason against the Order. To allow her to become his Patron would send a...conflicting message to the Hive."

What's the Hive? The more I hear, the deeper I feel my grave is becoming.

Magi walks up the stairs to the platform and occupies  Aristotle's seat.

"Astra is hereby exonerated of all crimes that she has been accused. She acted in accordance with my laws. Fatalities are acceptable when defending one of our own."

I glance at Astra. She meets my eyes and I can see she is uneasy as she turns her gaze to Magi again.

Magi adjusts her gown as she crosses her long slender legs. "Aristotle has made a valid point though. While I accept your nominee, I cannot allow you to become his Patron."

I see Astra's hands clenching her tunic a little too hard.

"After all, you abandoned your post during an active assignment. You are not to leave the Hive until further instruction and you are forbidden to use your blessing. Is that understood?"

Astra nods her head, her eyes downcast. I want to get a better look at her eyes.

"Then swear it to me."

"I swear to Magi that I will not leave the Hive until further instruction nor will I use my blessing."

"Then you are dismissed."

I reach my hand out to stop her. Can't she stay? She was the only friendly face here. I watch her retreating back and feel my spirits sink. What's going to happen to me?

"We have a candidate in need of a Patron."

A long silence follows after her statement. I guess she was asking for a volunteer? No one seems eager to though.

Aristotle breaks the silence. "Lady Magi, If a Patron cannot be found for him, perhaps it would better serve Magi to dispose of him."

"Certainly. He can't leave here alive with the knowledge of what he has seen."

...I just can't catch a break, can I?

Aristotle stood and bowed his head towards Magi.

Jovially, he addresses the audience, "Elders...is there any among you who would take this wretch as your protégé? ...Surely there is one among those present who would answer my call."

Wretch? What kind of insult is that? All these people talk weird actually. He looks way to happy right now. ...He is trying to get me killed, isn't he?

He pauses and waits. Of course, silence is all that answers.

Aristotle smiles. "It seems we were unable to find a Patron for you. How unfortunate...."

If it's so unfortunate then why are you smiling?!

"Great Magi, perhaps it is—"

"I'll answer your call."

That came from behind me. I turn around and see Data is standing behind me with her arm raised high.

"I'll do it. I'll become his Patron."

I hear all of the Elders collectively gasp.

"Data...my question was directed at the Elders."

"Really? I heard you ask if any among us would want a wretch as a protégé. And since there are no rules prohibiting me from taking on one", Data grabs my arm and pulls me up, "I would like this wretch as my protégé, Great Magi."

Magi nods in recognition of her words. The eerie glow of the mask vanishes in a bright flash and converts back to the matched set the other Elders wore. The woman in the evening gown holds her head with both hands.

"Well if there's no other issues...I'll just be taking my protégé and leaving."

Data begins to tow me to the door.

"DATA!"

She freezes. "Yes, Director?"

Aristotle eyes are blazing with wrath. "We will be monitoring your progress with your protégé. He will be expected to perform as any other."

...So I live? I'm not even sure that it's a good thing anymore. And talk about harsh. I really hope he doesn't mean progress with magic.

Data all but shoves me out the door. "Yup. Don't you worry! We won't disappoint."

She closes the door behind her and lets out a huge sigh. She begins to walk down the hall and gestures me to follow her. "What did I get myself into?"

"I would like to know that too."

Data throws me a dirty look. "I hope you appreciate what I just did. I'm sticking out my neck for you. The least you could do is drop the attitude and thank me properly."

"Thank you? For what? For dragging me into some apprenticeship that I didn't ask for?"

"Would you have preferred to die? Because those were literally your choices."

I see Astra leaning against a column up ahead. She deliberately walks to Data and blocks her path.

"What did the Council decide to do with Conrad?"

I'm right here. You could just ask me....

"The Great Magi has graciously arranged a Patron for Conrad."

Why do they talk about me like I am not here?

Astra's expression becomes dark. "And who is his Patron?"

Data drapes her arms around my neck and slightly chokes me since she is shorter than me.

"That would be me, of course!"

Astra's expression remains the same. "Why?"

Data wags her finger. "Tsk, tsk. Shouldn't you be thanking me on your hands and knees. If I hadn't had said anything...who knows what would've become of poor Conrad?"

...I really want to speak to Astra. I have so many questions....

I try to catch her eye but she doesn't even glance at me as she turns and walks away. And it stings more than I thought it would. Is she abandoning me?

"Huh...how ungrateful. Don't you agree? After I went and helped her out."

Data nudges me with her elbow. "Don't worry, kid. Were gonna blow everyone away with your progress."

She cups her mouth like a megaphone and shouts to Astra's retreating figure. "OOOYYYY! YOU OWE ME ONE!"

I hear Astra's gentle whisper in my mind. 'Be careful...'

As if you even had to say it.

**************************************************************************************

Thank you for your continued support! I'll start working on the next chapter asap! So how screwed do you think Conrad is? Or do you think he is lucky to be accepted into the Order because now he can learn magic? Please feel free to share your opinions!

And remember, if you like what you saw just hit that little star button to show everyone how much you do! XD

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

3.7K 108 10
Have you ever had that feeling that something is ever so slightly wrong, but you just can't tell what it is? Lea has felt like that her whole life. S...
2.1K 514 42
Sarah is an ordinary girl, who lives in a town far away from the world hassle. A town which is a small world of its own. A lot has happened with Sar...
273 10 7
What happens when two lost acquaintances with a past, cross paths again, would it be different this time? Or would they lose it all, again...
273 14 25
Two kingdoms and two unlikely allies are thrown into an upcoming war and need to rely on each other in this forced proximity romantasy. There are unr...