Moving Forward

xFakingaSmilex által

Ava thought she had the world figured out until it was turned upside down. She must decide if she wants to be... Több

Moving Forward
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Blake's Bonus Chapter
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Little Leaps

Chapter Twelve

22.1K 961 425
xFakingaSmilex által

Mum bounds into the kitchen as the oven timer loudly beeps. She hits one of the silver buttons, turns some dials, then races over to the pot of boiling potatoes to take care of. The metal pot clanks against the side of the sink as she drains them.

"Can you mash these?" she asks.

"Sure can!" I smile.

Mum slides the pot and masher over to me, along with the carton of milk and some butter to mix with the potatoes. I grab the masher and quickly get to work. Once the potatoes are mashed into a smooth consistency, I scoop them into a bowl and take them to the dining room.

After a couple of hangouts with Axel, Mum spilled the beans about Axel to Dad. Being the curious, over protective father that he is, they both hounded me to invite the poor bugger over for dinner.

Despite my continuous explanations in regards to us just being friends, this didn't excuse the dinner invitation. So, I forcibly bit the bullet and invited Axel over. Mum has spent the last couple of days cleaning and now cooking for his arrival.

You'd think the Prime Minister was coming at this rate, but no, it's just a friend.

"Can you also grab the cutlery? Maybe a jug of water?" Mum calls out.

"Yeah, no worries," I reply.

On the way back to the kitchen, I hear the doorbell ring. My mother's eyes light up with excitement as she turns to look at me. I don't need to say a word, she rushes past me to answer the door.

I grab the cutlery from the drawer and return to the dining room. A few seconds after I dump it onto the table, Mum and Axel walk into the room. There's an awkward, yet amused grin on Axel's face which makes me worried.

Shuffling around the table, I embrace Axel into a tight hug. He presses a light kiss against my cheek which only inflames my mother's opinion. From the corner of my eye, I see the wide smile spread across her lips. I know this can't be good.

"Ah, this must be Axel!" Dad booms as he walks into the room. "The man who's stealing my daughter and keeping my wife busy."

"I'm also the super awesome, amazing, kebab master." Axel chuckles.

"You're also the funny type, I see," he comments.

The smile on Axel's face seems to brighten at the mention of his comment.

"This is already getting weird," I mumble under my breath.

"What did you say?" asks Mum.

"Um, beer, wine?" I offer with a smile.

"Two beers?" Dad glances at Axel.

"That would be great." He smiles.

Returning to the kitchen, I grab a couple of beers from the fridge. While I'm here, I take a jug of water and cups. With those items in hand, I head back and offload them. Dad and Axel are happily chatting about sport, while Mum is dishing up food for herself.

I pass them their beers before taking a set next to Axel – Mum and Dad on the opposite side. Axel easily pops the lid on his beer before taking a swig. They spend the whole night discussing sport which gives me a limited space to squeeze in a chance to talk.

After dinner, everyone helps to clean up. Dad and Axel manage the task of scraping and stacking plates while I bring them to the kitchen. As I take the last few things, Mum grabs my arm and tugs me to a halt.

"Axel is a charming young man," she says.

"I suppose he is." I shrug.

"What about Blake?" she questions.

"I still love him," I reply. "Axel is also still just a friend."

With a sad look spreading to her eyes, Mum drops the conversation and resumes to washing the dishes. I grab a dish towel from the bench and begin drying theme. Axel puts away the items with the help of my Dad.

Once everything is clean, Axel and I retreat to my bedroom. I flop onto my bed while Axel's inquisitive side peers around my room. The irony of the situation has me internally chuckling.

My room is on the minimal side, so there isn't much to comment on. His eyes still manage to vigorously wonder around the room curiously. My heart thumps inside my chest as I wait for his string of comments.

"Hm, I never picked you for the minimal type," comments Axel.

"But I picked you as the mess one." I laugh.

"That's a bit stereotypical." He pouts. "Anyways, where is your stuff? Are you one of those creepy serial killers? Am I actually being lured into your layer?" As Axel walks towards me, he jumps onto the bed and lays beside me.

"Don't scream too loud. I can't have the neighbour thinking something is happening here." I wink.

"Oh, Miss Greyson, you're cheeky."

"You don't know the half," I tease. "My stuff is with my ex, actually. We broke up so suddenly, I never got the chance to get it."

"Why the quick break up?" he questions.

"It's a horrible story, actually." I frown. "After our son's funeral, I just, I lost it. Before I knew what I was going, I broke his heart and ran away," I explain.

"Damn girl, that's brutal," says Axel.

"Tell me about it." I cringe. "I'm a horrible person."

"How come you never collected your belongings?"

"Because it feels like we're still getting back together if my stuff is there," I honestly answer. "I'm not sure what I want for anything. Feel free to leave if you get bored of my confused, broken girl drama."

"How about we worry less? See where things do or don't go."

"Okay." I nod my head.

"Can you tell me about your son?" Axel shuffles across the bed to pick up the frame from the side table.

"We called him Ivan Kyle Rivers," I explain. "Ivan after my brother, Kyle for my best friend, and then Rivers for Blake."

"That's a cute name."

"Thank you." I smile.

"Do you mind me asking what happened to him?"

"His lungs weren't strong enough, so they gave out."

"Shit," he curses under his breath, "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, Axel."

It's hard to know what to say when people tell you about their misfortune. It hurts me every day know I'll never see my son grow up in life, but I take comfort in the smaller things, like the idea they're watching over me fuck up my life.

Sometimes it hurts to see Blake because I wonder if he'd have those beautiful green eyes, or his caring side. Would he command the room with his presence? Would he . . . It hurt because I'd never know these things. I didn't have those memories to cherish like I did with Logan.

"Do you want to get back with him?" Axel's question pulls me from my thoughts. A part of me wants to say no but I know better than that.

"We were a leaky ship with holes to fix, except, they were never fixed. And so, we were bound to sink. I wonder if the space concept we're trying is actually going to work."

"Perhaps." He shrugs.

"If you're looking for something serious and don't want your heartbroken, I'd recommend you start running now," I explain.

"I'd rather keep my options open." He smirks.

"Enough about me, what about your past? I can't be the only one with a graveyard!" I chuckle.

"I will confess, it's not been as bumpy. A few plain girls in high school, a short relationship in University. Nothing stuck and then one day, your best friend is engaged and then he's moving out."

"Life has a weird way of running away," I say.

"I have to find a new roommate before he moves out. I'm excited to get rid of the funny smell, though."

"I'll admit, it is nice to live by yourself. You can do what you want and not run around after someone else." I smile.

"True." He laughs. "Maybe I'll turn it into a bachelor pad?" Axel winks, which leaves me chuckling.

"Can I buy you a lifetime of air fresheners?"

"Are you trying to say something, Miss Greyson?" Smiles Axel.

His arms wrap around my waist as he throws me onto the bed. His fingers run up and down my sides which make me laugh. I manage to overpower Axel to flip him on his back using my legs. I lay across his body which squishes his insides.

"I'm dying," he comments.

"Are you implying something?" I tease.

Axel flips me onto my back and suddenly appears above me. He's mindful not to squish my body like I'd done to him, which makes me smile.

"Has anyone ever said you have beautiful eyes?" asks Axel.

"That's what they all tell me." I laugh.

"Other guys, hey?" he questions, a humorous smile curling onto lips.

"Hm," I mummer. "You'll have to try harder than that to win me over," I explain.

"Maybe I just want some fun?" The glow of excitement brightens in his eyes. "Maybe I want you?"

I wrap one arm around his neck as I bring my lips to his. His lips feel amazing against mine as I enjoy the feeling of his hair running through my fingertips. When our lips part, Axel moves to the side and drapes his arm over my waist.

As we snuggle together, a yawn ripples through me. Axel squeezes my middle and then presses a couple of lingering kisses on my shoulder.

"I should go," he murmurs.

"Mm?" I ask over my shoulder.

"Shh...go to sleep. I'll see you sometime soon." Axel gets up from the bed and I go to follow, but as I move, Axel pushes me back onto the bed. I watch curiously as he drapes the blanket over my body and then kisses my forehead.

"Sleep well, love," he whispers.

Axel flips the lights off and then I faintly hear Axel walk downstairs and say goodbye to my parents. In the next blurred moment, I drift off to the sound of a bike roaring down the road.

A smile filters onto my face at the thought of Axel. I have no intention of fall in love, but I do enjoy the prospect of fun.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

24.4K 1.1K 32
After years of marriage and a devastating accident. Ava's husband asks her do something that pushes her outside of her comfortable box.
KISS JalissaPastorius által

Ifjúsági irodalom

11.4K 568 20
|COMPLETE| A tainted love... Iris is a seventeen year old experiencing her first signs of love. She was your average teenage girl who had a secret cr...
443 3 30
Ava just came back from Greece as she decides to continue highschool back home with her bestfriends. She later on meets someone who makes her see a w...
831 67 50
He is an off-beat jokester with a sensitive heart, having trouble adjusting to life in California after moving from Chicago. She is the picture of po...